Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did the agent say why they can't book domestic AA awards? Was the agent aware that such awards appear on Etihad's redemption table for AA?

Was the MileSAAver space you found on ba.com for a nonstop, or for a connection? Does the same itinerary show up as a MileSAAver award on aa.com?
The agent was aware the awards appear on the award chart and couldn't give a reason why he couldn't book them; he just said it was not possible and he could only book international flights on AA.

The MileSAAver space I found on ba.com was for a non-stop and the same itinerary shows up as a MileSAAver award on AA.com, so I don't know why I can't book through Etihad.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dezra
The agent was aware the awards appear on the award chart and couldn't give a reason why he couldn't book them; he just said it was not possible and he could only book international flights on AA.

The MileSAAver space I found on ba.com was for a non-stop and the same itinerary shows up as a MileSAAver award on AA.com, so I don't know why I can't book through Etihad.
Then the only advice I can offer is HUCA, and hope to get a different agent.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Note to people who try this in the future: AA likes to drop Z (saver 3-class first) availability on transcon flights super late, but EY is not able to book you a ticket on any partner flight with less than 24 hour advance notice. Agent on the phone tried doing this for me after I'd already transferred 25k Amex MR for a same day LAX-BOS in first, and managed to issue me a ticket, but had issues at the end of the process actually exchanging the miles for the flight. Had to fly next day to be able to use the points I'd already transferred.
aquanine likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:30 pm

any recent experiences with phone wait times?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Connected straightaway the other day.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 5:31 am

DP: called as soon as I saw transcon Z pop up on EF and they didn't have availability. called back an hour later and was able to book after a short hold. instant transfer from amex, around 20 mins on the phone.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:19 pm

Are they able to book premium economy seats on AA?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Changing AA flight booked with Etihad miles?

Recently used etihad points to book JFK-SFO in Flagship First (Z), but now looking at a different date. AA app says to call AA to change.

can I change, with AA, even though I booked with Etihad - and moreover, can I change to anything? Or does it have to be a flight with Z space?

thanks in advance.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitf00t
Recently used etihad points to book JFK-SFO in Flagship First (Z), but now looking at a different date. AA app says to call AA to change.

can I change, with AA, even though I booked with Etihad - and moreover, can I change to anything? Or does it have to be a flight with Z space?

thanks in advance.
You need to call EY and there must be award space available for them to rebook you.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:53 pm

I have been looking for AA Saver J from US to Europe or Asia 1. For Asia 1, Saver J would be 60k but I haven't seen any Saver J. Instead AA seems to offer Web Specials to get the price down between 60-68k. This makes it unbookable with programs like Etihad but makes it cheaper for AAdvantage. Hoping to find some Saver availability for spring 2024 trip.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:38 am
Original Member

I've been looking as well and have not seen U class transatlantic on AA in a long time.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroy11
I've been looking as well and have not seen U class transatlantic on AA in a long time.
So there needs to be U class for all flights on AA from US-Europe? I found flights in U class on the outbound and J class on the return. Also, how far in advance can you book AA flights with Etihad miles?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
So there needs to be U class for all flights on AA from US-Europe? I found flights in U class on the outbound and J class on the return. Also, how far in advance can you book AA flights with Etihad miles?
Yes, U space for business - you cannot book J class on AA with Etihad miles. You can book one way awards though.

Regarding the booking window, AA books 331 days in advance, and I believe EY is the same, but someone can correct me if that's wrong.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I bit new here and trying to wrap my head around how to use all my amex points. I am looking at flights on AA using Etihad miles for PHL to CDG in April. I see saver availability, 57.5K each way (right?), but flights say they are operated by British Airlines. Will I be able to book these through Etihad for 50k a piece, or does it have to be a flight operated by American? I am not seeing any saver available on American operated flights. I have 220k Amex MR points, trying to get 3 biz class tickets PHL to CDG but could also fly out for EWR, BWI, or JFK.

TIA!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Hi Everyone,

I bit new here and trying to wrap my head around how to use all my amex points. I am looking at flights on AA using Etihad miles for PHL to CDG in April. I see saver availability, 57.5K each way (right?), but flights say they are operated by British Airlines. Will I be able to book these through Etihad for 50k a piece, or does it have to be a flight operated by American? I am not seeing any saver available on American operated flights. I have 220k Amex MR points, trying to get 3 biz class tickets PHL to CDG but could also fly out for EWR, BWI, or JFK.

TIA!
Did you get to book? I see tons of 57.5k redemptions for what I want to fly back next year but it's not showing as SAAver fare on ExpertFlyer and a search for U fares on BA doesn't return anything (if U is the correct class to add for them as they only show V).

Anyone else having success seeing the typical 57.5/SAAver on AA and having EY see it in their system even if Expert Flyer doesn't have the U class?

Last edited by JimA11; Dec 27, 2022 at 10:17 pm Reason: added quote/grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.