Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hello, Given the not so rosy relationship between AA/EY, does anyone know if there is a timeline/date after which we won't be able to book AA flights using EY miles? I remember one EY CSR mentioning something like that on the phone a month ago or so...

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by isac
I just booked continental US domestic AA one-way flight with two segments using 12,500 Etihad miles and USD 22.88. The taxes are 4 times what AA charges. I booked the same flights for others in the party for 12,500 AA miles and USD 5.60. I am confused. Please let me know if this is common.

USD 0.08 US1 (US DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION TAX)
USD 8.20 ZP (SEGMENT TAX)
USD 5.60 AY (US SECURITY FEE)
USD 9.00 XF (US PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE)
You should report this to the DOT. ( I think personally) . This may be a leftover habit from the UAE. The UAE loves fees, because in general thats how they earn money, beyond oil and gas.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:10 pm

I was able to book a connecting flight on AA today using EY miles. LAS-DFW-MGM for 12500 miles + $23.15 in taxes.

This means the award chart is per ticket, and not per segment.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:30 am

Bumping this as I am a bit confused with the chart.

It says e.g Europe to Middle East is 30,000 in B/F but AA doesn't fly this. Do I need to find a codeshare flight to book it (for e.g on BA?).

Is this chart completely redundant for anything that doesn't start or go to/through the US?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
It says e.g Europe to Middle East is 30,000 in B/F but AA doesn't fly this. Do I need to find a codeshare flight to book it (for e.g on BA?)
No, AA award seats are not available on codeshare flights operated by other airlines. You are right that it is meaningless to list redemption rates for routes where AA does not operate any flights.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Read this lately:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/use-e...rtner-booking/

Is Z going to be the same price as U? 50k LAX LHR? Super weird...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Finally...success! ATL-EZE,SCL-ATL on AA metal in May at 40K RT (20+20) and taxes

With just 4 days left before 23K EY miles were to expire, and after tons & tons of trying and getting solid-walls of no-availability, I was finally able to land something to the "cone" of South America today using EY miles on AA. It took 2 separate one-ways but I'll do the open-jaw in May, going into EZE and out of SCL. Have been to SCL before (the last trip was literally a riot), but Buenos Aires is new ground. As is often the case, it took persistence and reaching the right person, as one person earlier has said they didn't have the routing with SCL (not true, evidently). Another said they couldn't book anything with American Eagle, and I noticed all my flight numbers were mainliners. That'd kinda stink if you were in a small town.

But overall I'm almost as excited as I was when I booked the Christmas 2014 EY mistake fares that led to the accumulation of the miles (and gold status) in the first place (IAD-MNL-IAD $344 a-i, ORD-AUH-ORD $216 and JFK-SEZ-JFK at $616, all needing positioning flights (on LCCs). Thanks to specials the trips earned over 66K EY miles but I was all but resigned to having to spend them on Amazon gift cards at less than .01 per mile redeemed. This option is much better.

Now if only they'd bring back the mistake fares.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think I must be the (U.S. domestic on AA) tax champion

How's this for a tax load? AA domestic ticket, ATL-ANC-ATL RT, booked with 25K EY miles, and they have a base fare at $4 and taxes on top of that at $62.44.

I was surprised it was that bad and thought it must have been a mistake. They couldn't help me much over the phone with the breakdown, but it looks like $16.40 ZP, $11.20 AY, $16.50 XF, and $18.34 "transportation tax" which I think is the special Alaska/Hawaii thing.

The same award on AA would be 30K miles and $11.20 on top of that (for the AY). Am glad it's 5K miles fewer on EY but it does look like you get hit harder on the taxes, especially domestically.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by RustyC
How's this for a tax load? AA domestic ticket, ATL-ANC-ATL RT, booked with 25K EY miles, and they have a base fare at $4 and taxes on top of that at $62.44.

I was surprised it was that bad and thought it must have been a mistake. They couldn't help me much over the phone with the breakdown, but it looks like $16.40 ZP, $11.20 AY, $16.50 XF, and $18.34 "transportation tax" which I think is the special Alaska/Hawaii thing.

The same award on AA would be 30K miles and $11.20 on top of that (for the AY). Am glad it's 5K miles fewer on EY but it does look like you get hit harder on the taxes, especially domestically.
Nice breakdown, I don't know why AA doesn't charge XF on awards, the $16.50 is the XF on an AA revenue ticket for that routing. On revenue, AA also has a $24.60 segment tax in there too.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:11 pm

I don't have the email but I did finally figure out how to be successful in award booking for AA awards. Find the award on AA.com that you want and make sure that on a business class ticket it is class U and without a layover. Call to Eithiad and hand feed them the flights. The award class MUST be available on all legs. If it is not it will not show for them. I did just book two tickets business on AA for Hong Kong Phoenix in February.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I've been planning to use AmEx MR points to book AA flight on Etihad. All the posts here make me hesitating.

This is from EWR to PVG (Shanghai) and it costs about 35,000 points one-way at AA. There will always one stop, either DFW or ORD. I earn AmEx MR points regularly, but not the AA points that I need. I do not get point saving, but just MR vs AA.

Anyone has had recent success in booking flights like this?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Diamond Everything
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
I don't have the email but I did finally figure out how to be successful in award booking for AA awards. Find the award on AA.com that you want and make sure that on a business class ticket it is class U and without a layover. Call to Eithiad and hand feed them the flights. The award class MUST be available on all legs. If it is not it will not show for them. I did just book two tickets business on AA for Hong Kong Phoenix in February.
I am afraid this does not appear to be the case. I was not able to book AA travel using Etihad Guest miles. AA.com shows plenty of award availability on the dates/sectors I need to fly, but the EY agent (who appears to be pretty knowledgeable for a change) claims that nothing has been allocated to them. Does anyone have the same experience and any tips to get around this?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by bonusflyer
I am afraid this does not appear to be the case. I was not able to book AA travel using Etihad Guest miles. AA.com shows plenty of award availability on the dates/sectors I need to fly, but the EY agent (who appears to be pretty knowledgeable for a change) claims that nothing has been allocated to them. Does anyone have the same experience and any tips to get around this?
HUACA
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
AA Z class (JFK-SFO) connecting to T class (SFO-LAX)

I'm looking at a JFK-SFO-LAX award with JFK-SFO showing availability in Z and SFO-LAX only showing availability in T.

Has anyone got experience of booking a mixed class domestic award on AA?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:40 pm

I was able to book a business class flight from DFW to HNL for 30k. The chart says Hawaii is 37.5k. It was a pleasant surprise, but I don't really get how they got to 30k. Anyone else experience this or can shed some light? It's on the 777-300er I was able to pick the flagship first seat for free.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.