Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chinafish

Agent2: It says here on my chart 40000. OK then I'll double check. *puts me on hold* Sorry it should be 100000 miles.
Me: Are you absolutely sure?
Agent2: It says here 50000 one way for business and first. So it will be in total 100000 miles. Taxes and charges come to a total of 231.05
Can't be right? So its the same for business or first?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by chinafish
So tangey to answer your questions:
1. They charged me 100000 EY Guest miles for this ticket.
2. The fare details section on my e-ticket:

Outbound Fare basis / fare choice ZBP00N1F
Inbound Fare basis / fare choice UBP00NIC

Endorsement / Restrictions: NONE

Fare Calculation Line:
LON AA CHI1.00AALON1.00NUC2.00END ROE0.652504XFORD4.5

Fare:
GBP 1.00

Taxes/Fees/Carrier-Imposed Charges:
GBP 146.00 GB5 (AIR PASSENGER DUTY APD)
GBP 41.65 UB6 (INTERNATIONAL DPTRS IOM THROUGH LTN)
GBP 23.80 US2 (US INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION TAX)
GBP 3.70 YC (US CUSTOMS USER FEE)
GBP 4.70 XY (US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE)
GBP 3.40 XA (US APHIS USER FEE)
GBP 3.80 AY (US SECURITY FEE)
GBP 3.00 XF (US PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE)

3. Out and return are in the same booking, within 1 reservation.
Thanks a lot for this. AFAIK that's the most detailed report we've had for an AA redemption using EY miles. Your taxes confirm that EY is NOT charging their $50/$100/$150 service charge on partner redemption.

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Can't be right? So its the same for business or first?
Well, their chart does indicate that to be the case.
http://www.etihadguest.com/Documents...redemption.pdf

B/F are shown as 1 column @ 50K one way. Now there is another column marked "P" but this being EY, it is simply explained as being "premium" with no detail as to what that actually means.

All we need now is someone to do an equally good report on an AA booking that involves a connection, to see if EY charges it as two redemptions or 1 (we've been told by the rep it's 1)

Last edited by tangey; Dec 30, 2015 at 5:30 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLRtoDFW
Hi All,

Found a super useful agent and got 2 flights ticketed on AA in business and economy -

Syd-Lax on AA non stop in Business for 62500 miles

Mxp-Jfk on AA non stop in economy for 20000 miles ( off peak )
Interesting that you got charged the 20K off-peak rate as it doesn't exist on the EY AA redemption chart for Europe-> North America. It DOES exist on the North America -> Europe chart.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: United Silver Hilton Gold Virgin Atlantic Silver Le Accos Platinum Air India Silver
Originally Posted by tangey
Interesting that you got charged the 20K off-peak rate as it doesn't exist on the EY AA redemption chart for Europe-> North America. It DOES exist on the North America -> Europe chart.
Did I get lucky with that ?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tangey
Thanks a lot for this. AFAIK that's the most detailed report we've had for an AA redemption using EY miles. Your taxes confirm that EY is NOT charging their $50/$100/$150 service charge on partner redemption.

Well, their chart does indicate that to be the case.
http://www.etihadguest.com/Documents...redemption.pdf

B/F are shown as 1 column @ 50K one way. Now there is another column marked "P" but this being EY, it is simply explained as being "premium" with no detail as to what that actually means.

All we need now is someone to do an equally good report on an AA booking that involves a connection, to see if EY charges it as two redemptions or 1 (we've been told by the rep it's 1)
Wow ^ My valuation of EY miles just went up.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLRtoDFW
Did I get lucky with that ?
Who knows, EY partner redemptions is all a bit of a mystery.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

"The only problem is, sir, you are going to be charged as one international award and one domestic award....."

Jesus if this is NOT correct why on earth do so many agents keep repeating it.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I expected the worse, but I had no particular difficulty booking an off-peak AA transatlantic coach award with Etihad Guest. I had transferred Citi Thank You points last month with the 25% bonus offer, so I got each one-way ticket for 20,000 miles (only 16,000 TY points).

From the accent, my phone agent seemed to be European (I thought UK). It certainly helped to know what I was doing. I had gone to AA.com to find availability, and I had to coach her a bit on using the off-peak chart. But the confusion was minor, and the call took less than 20 minutes. The tax was exactly the same as displayed on aa.com. I'm also pleased that I could do a one-time flight change for free and it's only 2000 points if I need to redeposit. I'm a happy camper. And got lucky finding a good agent, I think.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, I expected the worse, but I had no particular difficulty booking an off-peak AA transatlantic coach award with Etihad Guest. I had transferred Citi Thank You points last month with the 25% bonus offer, so I got each one-way ticket for 20,000 miles (only 16,000 TY points).

From the accent, my phone agent seemed to be European (I thought UK). It certainly helped to know what I was doing. I had gone to AA.com to find availability, and I had to coach her a bit on using the off-peak chart. But the confusion was minor, and the call took less than 20 minutes. The tax was exactly the same as displayed on aa.com. I'm also pleased that I could do a one-time flight change for free and it's only 2000 points if I need to redeposit. I'm a happy camper. And got lucky finding a good agent, I think.
I think they have a Manchester based CC.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:12 pm

They do.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To my American ear, that's what it sounded like. Honestly, similar service to what I get from BA and Virgin when I call. Completely satisfactory -- especially since, for Etihad, what I was requesting (an AA award ticket) would be very unusual.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
To my American ear, that's what it sounded like. Honestly, similar service to what I get from BA and Virgin when I call. Completely satisfactory -- especially since, for Etihad, what I was requesting (an AA award ticket) would be very unusual.
I've asked a few agents where are they based - it's not a secret. The most competent are in Manchester.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlqsko
I've asked a few agents where are they based - it's not a secret. The most competent are in Manchester.
Couldn't agree more. Some of the agents in Manchester are really good and go beyond the call of duty. Well they have for me a few times now.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Could somebody please PM me an email of the CEO? Tried searching online to no avail
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:47 am

I just booked continental US domestic AA one-way flight with two segments using 12,500 Etihad miles and USD 22.88. The taxes are 4 times what AA charges. I booked the same flights for others in the party for 12,500 AA miles and USD 5.60. I am confused. Please let me know if this is common.

USD 0.08 US1 (US DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION TAX)
USD 8.20 ZP (SEGMENT TAX)
USD 5.60 AY (US SECURITY FEE)
USD 9.00 XF (US PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.