Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Redeeming Etihad guest miles for AA flights

Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by stephem
I think there may be a grand total of 10 people following the various EY guest partner redemption threads at all, let alone close enough to understand any of what we're talking about! No PMs...
Ha I am surprised.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by stephem
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlqsko

You are getting bombed with PMs in 3,2,1....

I think there may be a grand total of 10 people following the various EY guest partner redemption threads at all, let alone close enough to understand any of what we're talking about! No PMs...
^^ this
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
I called in to try to redeem for a Hawaii-US ticket on AA. The redemption table PDF states that the Economy Off-Peak dates are "Between North America and Hawaii – January 12 – March 8, August 22, and December 15". This has to be wrong. Why would they single out Aug 22 and Dec 15? Surely they meant to include the full range of dates. The agent I spoke with supposedly verified it is correct...

If you look at the line above, "Between North America and South America Zone 2 – March 1 – May 31 and August 16 – November 30", they have two date ranges surrounding summer. That's clearly what they meant to do for Hawaii... I hope they fix this so I can use my miles!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I guess this is a case of you win some (ANA) and you lose some (AA) ;-)

There is an element of Carol Beers working in the background at EY ("computer says no" and then offering a routing through 5 obscure cities instead...)

Originally Posted by hypertext
I called in to try to redeem for a Hawaii-US ticket on AA. The redemption table PDF states that the Economy Off-Peak dates are "Between North America and Hawaii – January 12 – March 8, August 22, and December 15". This has to be wrong. Why would they single out Aug 22 and Dec 15? Surely they meant to include the full range of dates. The agent I spoke with supposedly verified it is correct...

If you look at the line above, "Between North America and South America Zone 2 – March 1 – May 31 and August 16 – November 30", they have two date ranges surrounding summer. That's clearly what they meant to do for Hawaii... I hope they fix this so I can use my miles!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by hypertext

Booking AA with EY miles... Always a hassle...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:42 pm

Apologies if this was answered in another thread (did a search but didn't find it), does EY charge YQ on AA redemptions, or just the Sept 11th fee?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by dtokuda
Apologies if this was answered in another thread (did a search but didn't find it), does EY charge YQ on AA redemptions, or just the Sept 11th fee?
There has been very little (any ?) reported booking of AA flights using EY miles on this forum, so if you go ahead and do it, let us know your experience.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by tangey
There has been very little (any ?) reported booking of AA flights using EY miles on this forum, so if you go ahead and do it, let us know your experience.
I called the service center and tried to redeem a Mile SAAver itinerary I'd put together on expertflyer but the agent couldn't recreate it. Will hold until I figure out an alternative...the increase in miles necessary for the ANA First flights really screwed my plan...
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:02 pm
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
HNL-LAX-JFK-Bermuda should cost 40000First

anybody have any experience with stopovers?
in Etihad rules its permitted so one week lax should be possible...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:23 pm

I called the India call center and got a very competent agent. He saw the exact same availability on American that I saw using the British Airways EC booking tool. He was able to book me from ORD to LHR roundtrip for 40,000 miles and no YQ. The tax was the exact same as came up in ITA Matrix. As soon as I got off the phone with him I found the booking on AA.com. He also informed me that I was entitled to one free date change (changes after that 100 dirham) and free cancellation. Altogether a surprisingly pleasant experience.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:42 pm

Quote:

I called the India call center and got a very competent agent. He saw the exact same availability on American that I saw using the British Airways EC booking tool. He was able to book me from ORD to LHR roundtrip for 40,000 miles and no YQ. The tax was the exact same as came up in ITA Matrix. As soon as I got off the phone with him I found the booking on AA.com. He also informed me that I was entitled to one free date change (changes after that 100 dirham) and free cancellation. Altogether a surprisingly pleasant experience.
We're these non stops or were there layovers ? Glad you had a good experience!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
We're these non stops or were there layovers ? Glad you had a good experience!
These were nonstops...I think it's easier for them to find, but I think they can see any award routes with connections as long as they're available to partners (BAEC booking tool is a good indication). Live in an AA hub so they're easy to avoid, though.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
^
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:01 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm looking to do a redemption booking using Etihad miles on AA metal, and I would like to share with you all my experience:

I've been tinkering around on the AA award redemption tool and found MileSAAver availability on First for 62.5k one way (so 125k return) for this:
13/08 LHR --> ORD --> RIC
20/08 RIC --> DFW --> LHR

or Business for 50k one way (100k return) for this:
20/08 RIC --> ORD --> LHR

I called the Etihad UK number which I presume routed me somewhere out of the country. Agent told me that connections are not allowed and they would only be able to get me LHR to ORD, but not onward to RIC. I didn't bother asking about the return flight from that point and thought I'll try my luck again tomorrow.

And the journey begins...

Fish
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by chinafish
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm looking to do a redemption booking using Etihad miles on AA metal, and I would like to share with you all my experience:

I've been tinkering around on the AA award redemption tool and found MileSAAver availability on First for 62.5k one way (so 125k return) for this:
20/08 RIC --> DFW --> LHR

or Business for 50k one way (100k return) for this:
20/08 RIC --> ORD --> LHR

I called the Etihad UK number which I presume routed me somewhere out of the country. Agent told me that connections are not allowed and they would only be able to get me LHR to ORD, but not onward to RIC. I didn't bother asking about the return flight from that point and thought I'll try my luck again tomorrow.

And the journey begins...

Fish
A couple of points.

First, your mileage figures above are based on AA's award chart. This bears no relationship to how many Etihad guest miles an AA flight will require, you need to look at the Etihad award chart for redeeming on AA.

Second, in theory connections should be possible, this has been confirmed by the EY rep on here. What we don't know conclusively is whether it will be priced as one award or two. The EY rep has stated to me it will be one award, but some folks on here have had a different experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.