Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

10% off Etihad Ads showing up after I already booked flight with them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Angry 10% off Etihad Ads showing up after I already booked flight with them

Has anyone of you ever experienced booking a flight with etihad on their main website and right after doing so...you see Google Ads flashing on other websites you are browsing a 10% off deal on the flights you just booked?

This has happened to me 2 times! and I don't see what's the point of them giving me a 10% off on the same route when I already booked a flight with them on the same routes.

I find it incredibly frustrating that this banner shows up right after I already booked. Is this just bad luck and wrong timing on my part or this really something airlines do so I will book more with them ?
Old May 30, 2015, 12:05 pm

Use an ad blocker.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Actually i wanted these ads to show up before I book with them so I can get a 10% discount not right after I already booked with them
Old May 30, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

For flights to/from US, DOT rules allow for a full refund within 24 hours, or a 24 hour hold without payment. So if it's on a U.S. Route, there's this option. Find out which one Etihad uses first.

Also, if try going and not completing the booking, and seeing if the ad shows up, so you can go back and book using it. These ads are targeted based on cookies from websites you have visited, so perhaps you don't need t go all the way through the process to get it to show up.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's just how things work. The network captured that you were interested in Etihad and they're paying to have ads put up on result pages when people seem interested. Targeted marketing. When I browse to look for a hotel in Warsaw I'll begin seeing ads for that, whether or not I've booked something. The company pays a few cents, if that, and that's why Google is free.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by global10
Has anyone of you ever experienced booking a flight with etihad on their main website and right after doing so...you see Google Ads flashing on other websites you are browsing a 10% off deal on the flights you just booked?

This has happened to me 2 times! and I don't see what's the point of them giving me a 10% off on the same route when I already booked a flight with them on the same routes.

I find it incredibly frustrating that this banner shows up right after I already booked. Is this just bad luck and wrong timing on my part or this really something airlines do so I will book more with them ?
That's how the websites make money. I bought a new amp on line at at Guitar Center. Now I've got music related ads all over Facebook. All those times you entered your e-mail or related information are farmed by the ad companies so they can target you with ads related to things they know you purchase.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the info guys

the first time i booked with etihad, the 10% off came after and i thought oh it's just bad luck that i didnt get it

the second time i tried to book with them i didnt complete the booking but kept on visiting the site for 2 days or so waiting for the google ads to come up but they didnt

but once i confirmed and paid for my booking lo and behold i see the etihad 10% off come up...the timing of this is what i am frustrated about...so i emailed them and hopefully i get 10%off
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer, Matmid
Dear All,
Just an update on this that should help in making sure you basically ALWAYS pay 10% off Etihad flights.

After spending the last week constantly messing around with flights on the Etihad page I have found that just searching bookings on the Etihad website isn't enough to prompt the banner offering 10% off.

HOWEVER if you take a booking through to the seat selection page, but then CLOSE the page (Make sure all Etihad pages are closed if you have multiple open) before you finalise and pay for the booking, the ad appears!

I used http://www.pointhacks.com.au/qantas-aquire-guide/ to get the ad, but other websites of course will work. ALSO note the ads do refresh over time, so just leaving the webpage with the ad open so you can access the 10% off anytime doesn't work.

Hope this helps, and also works for you as it appears to have worked for me!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
fwiw, receiving marketing offers after purchase to build a pattern of purchases and affiliation with specific brand/product so that it becomes habit is pretty standard marketing. Look at the coupons you receive when you check out at the grocery store.

Keeping a customer is much cheaper than finding a new one.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:19 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This discount ad practice has been discussed from time-to-time on the Etihad forum.

See, e.g., http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...dverts-me.html

I'll move this to that airline's FT forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You are not getting these ONLY because you purchased tickets. I recently visited their website and not getting similar ads.

Just google smarts at work.

By the way, many of these discounts are so often not applicable to the flight YOU want. LOL!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
By the way, many of these discounts are so often not applicable to the flight YOU want. LOL!
Exactly right. Dont lose sleep over it global10. I tried this in the past and found that the 10% - in my case, for Amex cardholders - didnt help at all. Cant remember exact reason - either the available flight times had really poor (long) connection times in AUH, or the discount was only available on fully flex fares - either way it was cheaper and better to buy what I originally sought. YMMV !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.