Locked Account, Security Issues?

Old May 13, 15, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Locked Account, Security Issues?

I received an email from guest services saying my account had been locked because the "maximum number of attempts to login had been exceeded". I requested an explanation since I have not attempted to access my account in over two months.

The reply (a canned response) said "If your query is regarding a locked out account we are aware of the concerns you have regarding you account security, and we would like to assure you we are taking all measures to protect your personal details....".

Since Etihad have prepared a form letter response to locked accounts I suspect I am not the only one with this problem.

Has anyone else had their account locked or have heard of widespread unauthorized attempts to access Etihad accounts?

Last edited by Zol; May 14, 15 at 2:25 am Reason: wrong forum
Old May 13, 15, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by jrussell View Post
Since Etihad have prepared a form letter response to locked accounts I suspect I am not the only one with this problem.

Has anyone else had their account locked or have heard of widespread unauthorized attempts to access Etihad accounts?
What does this have to do with Emirates?
Old May 13, 15, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more View Post
What does this have to do with Emirates?
Maybe that's the problem. Trying to log into one account with the other's password.
Old May 13, 15, 11:05 am
Original Poster

My apologies. Posted in wrong forum.
Old May 13, 15, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
My apologies. Posted in wrong forum.
Don't post a new thread. This will be moved over.

As regards the email you received, it could be:

a) someone genuinely mistyped their number - accidentally hitting on yours - and, assuming they were incorrectly typing their password when they were failing to gain entry and not noticing that the account number itself was wrong, locked them out of YOUR account
b) it could have been an unauthorised attempt to hack your account (we have seen various such instances at airlines such as BA in recent weeks)

That there is a "form letter response" to locked accounts is hardly surprising. People lock themselves out of their accounts all the time - and every organisation will have standard responses for what are, afterall, standard queries.
Old May 14, 15, 2:25 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Moving over to the EY forum
Old May 14, 15, 7:27 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
OP is correct. Hacks are happening on EY's website and they haven't noticed.

I got the same email for 2 family members accounts, and on an Australian based FF Facebook group many others have reported it. Some contacted EY who had no knowledge of the issue, but it's not random.

EYHelp, your security team should look at how many accounts have been locked asap.
Old May 14, 15, 8:23 am

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
2 of my family accounts got the same mail yesterday.

Definitely something fishy going on.
Old May 14, 15, 8:36 am
Company Representative, Etihad

I received an email from guest services saying my account had been locked because the "maximum number of attempts to login had been exceeded". I requested an explanation since I have not attempted to access my account in over two months.

The reply (a canned response) said "If your query is regarding a locked out account we are aware of the concerns you have regarding you account security, and we would like to assure you we are taking all measures to protect your personal details....".

Dear Guest,

In order to look into your issue, can we have your Etihad Guest Number as Private Message so we can advise you further.

Thank you and Best Regards. *JS
Old May 14, 15, 8:37 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by dxbtraveller View Post
2 of my family accounts got the same mail yesterday.

Definitely something fishy going on.
Dear Guest,

We kindly advise you to send us an email with the Etihad Guest number with the email screenshot to [email protected] so we can advise you further. Thanks. *JS
Old May 14, 15, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Dear EtihadHelp

I have sent a PM with the relevant information along with a copy to etihadguest.com.

Thanks for your help in looking into this matter.
Old May 14, 15, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just got the same email from Etihad. I hadn't signed on to my account for months. Will follow up in the ways suggested above.

PS: Just noticed that the email asked me to write to the following address about this problem: [email protected]. This is different from the address provided above by EithadHelp: [email protected]. So, EtihadHelp, is the email I received even valid and from Eithad? It looks for real, but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Thunderroad; May 14, 15 at 1:26 pm
Old May 14, 15, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I received the same email

Search this Thread
Search Engine: