How is the A380 Residence Selling?

Old Aug 8, 15, 1:51 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Given the emphasis on "full fare" and "paid F" on your Programs info, I'm surprised you even have to worry about finding the cheapest starting point for the Residence.
That's why I am on FT to begin with!

Just because my choice of currency is money (while for other FTers it is miles and status) for F tickets does not mean I would spend it in an manner that is not optimal.

As there is no need for me to be in AUH, LHR or SYD for business or pleasure in the immediate future and all I want is to try the Residence, my starting/ending points would not matter as much so it would be logical to find the cheapest starting point.

Otherwise, if I need to be in a certain place at a certain time (eg. I need to go to HKG for a wedding or business meeting etc.), I would just buy the lowest F ticket (could be in "A") using the most logical routing (and carrier that offers the best service) and not care about the starting/ending point (or whether it is really the cheapest or not) as I would not have the time to connect at additional intermediate points.
Old Sep 21, 15, 3:33 am

Well, I know it's Eid and everything, but I was quite shocked to find that they have managed to sell 3 P cabins within the space of 4 days on AUH-LHR: 22, 24 and 25 Sep!
Old Sep 23, 15, 10:42 am

Well, I know it's Eid and everything, but I was quite shocked to find that they have managed to sell 3 P cabins within the space of 4 days on AUH-LHR: 22, 24 and 25 Sep!
Was occupied also on the 20th
Old Sep 23, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
I was on the lunchtime flight AUH-LHR yesterday and can confirm the Residence was occupied by a couple.

Incidentally, that was my first Apartments experience and it was nothing short of phenomenal.
Old Sep 23, 15, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA, SPG
Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
I was on the lunchtime flight AUH-LHR yesterday and can confirm the Residence was occupied by a couple.

Incidentally, that was my first Apartments experience and it was nothing short of phenomenal.
I was on it yesterday AUH to Sydney, residence empty, had a few sneaky looks in lol. But have to 100% agree with phenomenal, the hard product amazing and I was very impressed with the soft product. Had two flights yesterday business DUB to AUH fantastic, highlights F&B manager, out of this world really great service. Also check in in Dublin managed to easily change my seat to window, much more private than aisle.

The A380 was a different ball game though out of this world I have never been happy to have captain say will be at least an hour till take off. Crew amazing was really made to feel special. Had a fantastic shave in the AUH T3 lounge, had a really nice guy shave me and a interesting chat about politics. But the flight was a pleasure, looking forward to return in just over a week.
Old Sep 26, 15, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium Hertz Gold

Read an article about a marathon runner who flew Residence from AUH-SYD and used AA points? Is this even possible?
Old Sep 26, 15, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by kcmd View Post
Read an article about a marathon runner who flew Residence from AUH-SYD and used AA points? Is this even possible?
They would have flown in the First Apartment, not the Residence.
Old Sep 26, 15, 8:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kcmd View Post
Incorrect http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea...abi-to-sydney/

Residence pax appear to be predominantly Emiratis and, of course, Dannii who flew it on the X Factor Australia while the contestants occupied F and J SYD-AUH-LHR

https://www.facebook.com/thexfactora...29677707069639

https://www.facebook.com/thexfactora...29203630450380

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 26, 15 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 27, 15, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium Hertz Gold

Yep thanks for pointing that out I didn't make the distinction between Apt vs Res. still the Apt seems like a great deal as well using AA points
Old Sep 28, 15, 6:36 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jubbing View Post
I honesty see them in future A380's not having the Residence, and putting in 2-4 more Apartments. It wouldn't be a bad idea mind you - since they always sell out, and keep the Residence exclusive to certain routes.
I understand that most of the future A380s will not have them and the existing will be on the routes likely to use them.

The whole concept was clever in that they used storage space not usable space to create this, the bed is ridiculously small and I couldn't possibly get in there with another person - no matter what we were up to !

The issue they've found is that they don't have enough storage to hand for the premium galley and swamped when in full F and J meal service mode so perhaps it will be used to alleviate this crush somewhat

As said by others though you could rejig to add perhaps one extra (over and above the seat already there) apartment but certainly no more
Old Sep 28, 15, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
As said by others though you could rejig to add perhaps one extra (over and above the seat already there) apartment but certainly no more
Correct - space for 1 more Apartment and another bathroom, if you did it EK style (rather than squeezing in two in the same space as it currently stands).

Personally I think the Residence will stay, but perhaps the premium over Apartment might be turned down to 'profane' rather than the current 'obscene'

Over time, perhaps they might eventually allow it for something closer to 00k miles one-way rather than the current 3 million!
Old Sep 28, 15, 2:04 pm

Programs: AOPA
flew AUH-LHR on Friday in the Apartment. the Residence was empty. Per the on board beverage manger, he has a return guest in the Residence on the return.
Old Sep 28, 15, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL, US
I flew in the apartment this past Sunday from AUH-LHR and all the seats including the residence were occupied.

The FA asked me to switch seats from 4A to 3A because the occupant did not want to face backwards and he was part of the Royal Family. I declined.
Old Sep 28, 15, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by dknn View Post
I flew in the apartment this past Sunday from AUH-LHR and all the seats including the residence were occupied.

The FA asked me to switch seats from 4A to 3A because the occupant did not want to face backwards and he was part of the Royal Family. I declined.
Haha, what did the FA then say? I'm surprised they actually asked your permission.
Old Sep 28, 15, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by dknn View Post

Did your 4A have a huge rip across the divider between your bed and the bed in 3A? I was a bit surprised by it last week on the aircraft I flew on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: