How is the A380 Residence Selling?

Old Aug 3, 15, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post
The divider between the Residence living room and apartment 2C is higher than the dividers between other apartments, but is not floor to ceiling.

The Residence sliding doors are the same height as Apartment doors. It is only totally private away from the living room, i.e beyond the full length door are the bathroom and bedroom, which is not visible to anyone if you close the full length door.

The living room itself is not totally private.
Would the crew disturb you in the bedroom? I'm just thinking that this would be an amazing place to join the mile-high club. Any reason you couldn't?
Old Aug 3, 15, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
Would the crew disturb you in the bedroom? I'm just thinking that this would be an amazing place to join the mile-high club. Any reason you couldn't?
Maybe hang a towel on the door handle to let them know not to disturb
Old Aug 3, 15, 11:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Lame.
Old Aug 3, 15, 11:51 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Residence was occupied for two of my three recent EY A380 flights.
Were you able to take a peek and see who the pax might be?
Old Aug 3, 15, 11:51 pm

Programs: QFWP/LTG, VAWP, NZ*G, OZD, NH*G, Marriott Plat, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Residence was occupied for two of my three recent EY A380 flights.
By you, by any chance?!
Old Aug 4, 15, 12:26 am

Ok not gonna comment about the club and all, but I did ask the butler on my flight where she hung out if there were residence passengers.

Was it a) near the residence (i.e. near the showers - and apartment 1H

or b) in the galley

She said it was always the galley, but if the residence living door was open, she would come out every 5 minutes to check. if the residence living door was closed, she would stay in the galley until called.

Another thing that she told seems to be a misconception:

If for example on the way to deliver a drink to a residence passenger and got stopped by someone in first apartments for a service request- a butler theoretically should not turn down the request. The butler MAY be significantly committed to residence pax, but not totally so.

She said : well - the person asking IS a First Apartment passenger after all (with emphasis on First), and sometimes could actually be a relative of the residence pax, so no, butlers aren't supposed to turn down the request if you ask for something.

She also told me the most popular combo of pax in the residence she's had as a butler so far isn't husband and wife.

It's mother and daughter. Not 85 year old mother and 45 year old daughter, but 30 year old mother with 6 year old daughter.

Without divulging too much details - she told me that she'd had to prepare "frozen" (as in Disney Frozen, not Refrigerator Frozen) themed meals, decor and flowers more than once for these pax as a result. I didn't press her for more info. I guess I just let it go.....
Old Aug 4, 15, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Really don't want to appear to be munching on sour grapes simply because it's beyond my budget (and likely to forever remain so, in the absence of a lottery win), but I do feel The Residence is being over-hyped.

Last November I was offered the opportunity to spend a good 15 mins or so having a look around a full-scale mock-up - with exact same dimensions, fixtures & fittings as the on-board version. This happened at the Etihad stand at the annual travel industry exhibition (WTM), held at London's Excel Arena.

My personal 'guide' for the look-see/tour just happened to be the strikingly-tall female butler who, I believe, was the first to be appointed to the role. Very pleasant individual who hails from from Southport, Merseyside (northern UK for those unfamiliar).

There is absolutely no doubt that this would be a pretty stylish way to fly. And at the risk of stating the obvious, it's the total privacy element that appeals to any wealthy travellers, not least if in the true A celeb category (B category & below often like nothing more than to be noticed of course ....!!)

BUT ......there are significant downsides IMO : whilst more than spacious enough for two, it nevertheless seemed surprisingly claustrophobic - even in the living area. The shower room was a genuine disappointment, being way, way smaller than the F bathrooms on EK's A380 (can't speak for Etihad's, haven't used them). The bedroom is very 'compact' and was not quite the haven of luxury I was expecting.

All in all, I could see why the exclusivity alone will prove enough to attract bookings within a very niche market. However, when looking at the cost for a 7 hour experience, I am in no doubt that several nights in a very, very good suite at a top hotel would offer FAR better value instead. That said, the fact that anyone who can afford The Residence has no need to make such delicate 'value assessments', with an either/or decision, is not lost on me.

To those keen to see The Residence ....I say do take the chance if/when you can. But, in the meantime, I honestly wouldn't get too excited about it......
Old Aug 4, 15, 3:07 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pbl22 View Post
By you, by any chance?!
No. If I was travelling with someone else I would have been tempted as the fare for 2 in the residence wasn't too bad for the outbound when I booked.
Old Aug 4, 15, 10:33 pm

No. If I was travelling with someone else I would have been tempted as the fare for 2 in the residence wasn't too bad for the outbound when I booked.
Attn: Kiwi Flyer

Is this ex-SYD by any chance?

Perhaps if I can get my way down to SYD, maybe we can share the cost of the Residence to AUH?
Old Aug 5, 15, 12:36 am

You seriously want to share that small (even smaller than a normal double) bed?
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Let keep this discussion to the topic at hand please. 8 OT comments deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
To those keen to see The Residence ....I say do take the chance if/when you can. But, in the meantime, I honestly wouldn't get too excited about it......
it can be inspected by those with the relevant Etihad/Alitalia status at the joint Alitalia/Etihad pavilion at the Expo in Milan....just remember to bring your card, you'll need it to gain admission to the lounge upstairs...
Old Aug 7, 15, 7:25 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
Attn: Kiwi Flyer

Is this ex-SYD by any chance?

Perhaps if I can get my way down to SYD, maybe we can share the cost of the Residence to AUH?
Flying between SYD and LHR but fare was ex somewhere else (cheaper!).
Old Aug 8, 15, 1:12 am

Flying between SYD and LHR but fare was ex somewhere else (cheaper!).
Any clues as to where this might be?

I've tried a lot of possible combinations and it is not coming up.

Or maybe this fare has been pulled (or rules changed to disallow combinations / differential fare calculation)?
Old Aug 8, 15, 1:31 am

Given the emphasis on "full fare" and "paid F" on your Programs info, I'm surprised you even have to worry about finding the cheapest starting point for the Residence.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: