AUH-LHR - A380 vs 77W in First

Old Feb 25, 15, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
AUH-LHR - A380 vs 77W in First

I am looking into booking a redemption in First from AUH to LHR in December.

I have never flown on the A380, so it'd definitely be an interesting experience. However the times of A380 operated flights is not great. I'd rather leave in the afternoon, at 1:30 pm. This flight is on a 77W.

What would be the notable differences? Leaving aside the fact that I've never flown on an A380, would you choose one over the other?
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:26 am

There will be HUGE difference A380 features their newest product - the apartment. I would choose the A380 any day, any time.
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlqsko View Post
There will be HUGE difference A380 features their newest product - the apartment. I would choose the A380 any day, any time.
I didn't know that :-)

What's people preference in terms of flight times? There is a flight around 2 AM and one around 8 AM.

I could probably get a late checkout in the hotel, but that wouldn't be any later than 4 PM. I imagine I could easily entertain myself in the lounge at AUH, but it's a lot of time to kill, isn't it?

For the morning flight, in order to properly enjoy the lounge I would have to wake fairly early!
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:52 am

Different people, different preferences Me personally, I don't find 2-3AM departures amusing...
Old Feb 25, 15, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlqsko View Post
Different people, different preferences Me personally, I don't find 2-3AM departures amusing...
And I guess that the experience in First would be spoilt by tiredness.
Old Feb 25, 15, 10:38 am

According to the EY website, all 3 flights are on A380 by December
Old Feb 25, 15, 1:38 pm
H99

Programs: centurion
EY have switched the late flight from LHR back to a 777. I had booked a redemption flight in Dec, on the basis it was A380, so I'm glad I doubled checked. Phoned EY to seek explanation and only got gibberish. So be careful once you book to monitor prior to travel

I agreed though that the A380 does look phenomenal. The existing 1st class is pretty good. I would myself be prepared to take inconvenient flight times to experience this - but would be cautious regarding the 2am flight as my experience of leaving AUH/the gulf at this time is that you only really sleep and then get off.
Old Feb 25, 15, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by H99 View Post
EY have switched the late flight from LHR back to a 777. I had booked a redemption flight in Dec, on the basis it was A380, so I'm glad I doubled checked. Phoned EY to seek explanation and only got gibberish. So be careful once you book to monitor prior to travel

I agreed though that the A380 does look phenomenal. The existing 1st class is pretty good. I would myself be prepared to take inconvenient flight times to experience this - but would be cautious regarding the 2am flight as my experience of leaving AUH/the gulf at this time is that you only really sleep and then get off.
So they did !! Buggers!
Old Feb 26, 15, 12:25 am

Programs: EY S, AAdv, SQKris. SPG G, Hhonors Diamond, Accor Plat, Carlsson G, Hyatt plat, IHG Spire elite...
I got stung by this too. The 1330 departure is, as far as I know, the only afternoon departure to europe, so I'm gonna stick with it. Makes a huge difference with the daughter. It's a shame that I won't get an apartment, but I'm hardly 'at the back' either...
Old Feb 26, 15, 8:39 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
I didn't know that :-)

What's people preference in terms of flight times? There is a flight around 2 AM and one around 8 AM.

I could probably get a late checkout in the hotel, but that wouldn't be any later than 4 PM. I imagine I could easily entertain myself in the lounge at AUH, but it's a lot of time to kill, isn't it?

For the morning flight, in order to properly enjoy the lounge I would have to wake fairly early!
ABSOLUTELY go for the A380, so much more space plus the BEST left turn ever oh don't forget the shower (I had to just for the sake of it!)

The 8AM flight means you'll be awake to enjoy it all rather than 'wasting it' asleep

Search this Thread
Search Engine: