Visitor/Guest in A380 Apartment

Old Feb 18, 15, 4:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 316
Visitor/Guest in A380 Apartment

Just to start with, I'm not looking to break any rules here, just wanted to get some advice (hopefully flame free ).

Would it potentially be possible to invite a guest from J to my F apartment for a brief period of time (30min-1hour)? I know this is new territory as the apartment is one of the first products that can comfortably accommodate visitors.

No worries if not, we can always go to the bar/lounge in-between.
Gabrca is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 81
I've asked Etihad the same question and had no reply so I guess the answer is:

A. No
B. Upon discretion of the CS - maybe factoring in load etc.

The best and wisest bet is go to the bar. Surely more fun over there anyway. Enjoy your flight!
msian56 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:34 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: homeless
Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 576
Hmm, I couldn't imagine why not. Obviously not at take-off or landing, but surely during the flight there should be no problems? Could see it as a very legitimate working situation actually, just ask the crew nicely and I'm sure they will be happy to accommodate.
EFATO is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,753
Originally Posted by EFATO View Post
Hmm, I couldn't imagine why not. Obviously not at take-off or landing, but surely during the flight there should be no problems? Could see it as a very legitimate working situation actually, just ask the crew nicely and I'm sure they will be happy to accommodate.
What about a friend from Y? Or is that pushing it?
iluvdoco is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: homeless
Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 576
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
What about a friend from Y? Or is that pushing it?
I reckon it should be fine. As long as you don't disturb anyone, and the guest doesn't go overboard (asking for meals, sleeping on the floor, disturbing other pax, what-have-you) I don't see how they would object.

I've been let into an F suite before to make a phone call in private; more recently my partner and I shared the last available J seat on a AUH-PVG, where I started the flight in J, ate dinner whilst working, and then swapped with her because I needed to keep working and she needed to sleep. All worked out perfectly, crew were completely understanding, not an eyebrow raised at all. They even continued to keep me topped up with champagne in the first row of Y.

Just play it cool and I imagine you should be alright. Primary concern should be to not disturb the other pax and obviously not to look for entitlements
EFATO is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,753
Originally Posted by EFATO View Post
I reckon it should be fine. As long as you don't disturb anyone, and the guest doesn't go overboard (asking for meals, sleeping on the floor, disturbing other pax, what-have-you) I don't see how they would object.

I've been let into an F suite before to make a phone call in private; more recently my partner and I shared the last available J seat on a AUH-PVG, where I started the flight in J, ate dinner whilst working, and then swapped with her because I needed to keep working and she needed to sleep. All worked out perfectly, crew were completely understanding, not an eyebrow raised at all. They even continued to keep me topped up with champagne in the first row of Y.

Just play it cool and I imagine you should be alright. Primary concern should be to not disturb the other pax and obviously not to look for entitlements
Thanks EFATO. I think I read that Gino, on his inaugural Residence flight, invited a random passenger from Y to dine with him, so there has been precedent!
iluvdoco is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,341
The wider issue here is the balance to be struck by the airline (ANY airline) between upsetting an F passenger who makes the request versus other occupants of the F cabin who might be equally, or even more, upset to see it happening.

Yes, it sounds 'harmless' enough to justify by saying we need to do some work together etc. But the fact is that unless the crew decide to keep a stopwatch, then it could conceivably end up with someone spending most of the flight in a cabin/seat for which others have paid out big money. Not what the carrier or its FF revenue F pax would consider an ideal scenario.

IMHO, the Y guest would be a step too far. But then I'm not the one making the decision.

As an aside Acrbag ......I thought your question was very nicely worded ^ In marked contrast to a poster a little while back (albeit on the EK forum, but similar scenario) who asked the same question but then seemed offended when several respondents were against the idea. And when people also pointed out that the EK suites do not lend themselves to the idea anyway, he then started talking about using a potentially empty adjacent suite for his 'guest' (Ok, so let's just sit there anyway without bothering to buy a F ticket .....!!)

FWIW, my personal opinion is that for say 30 mins, maybe an hour max - as suggested by the OP - sounds reasonable, and I think in the right circumstances (perhaps a less than full cabin) the Purser would most likely approve. But beyond that, I would say it's wrong.
subject2load is online now  
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,341
No real precedent there iluvdoco.

Don't forget that the standard ticket price for The Residence actually covers TWO pax.

The inaugural guy was travelling solo, and invited the passenger from Y (selected in some sort of ballot conducted by the crew I believe ...) as a goodwill gesture, and I guess for some company.
subject2load is online now  
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

Don't forget that the standard ticket price for The Residence actually covers TWO pax.
.
+1 If you are a single passenger in the Residence I think you should have no trouble inviting any pax to join you.
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,753
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
No real precedent there iluvdoco.

Don't forget that the standard ticket price for The Residence actually covers TWO pax.

The inaugural guy was travelling solo, and invited the passenger from Y (selected in some sort of ballot conducted by the crew I believe ...) as a goodwill gesture, and I guess for some company.
Ah yes, very good points subject2load.
iluvdoco is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 1:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,444
The reality is that far from being "I can bring whoever I want to because it's a private cabin", the need to protect cabin integrity has higher priority than any passenger wanting to invite someone from a lower cabin because they are travelling together/need to work together, from the airlines' perspectives.

Also, as other passengers will often notice (especially if there is loud talking) and quite likely to complain if they feel disturbed by something that was granted as a favour by the purser (rather than a fellow F pax), the purser is bound to be extra cautious in case it comes back to bite him/her.
stargold is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 3:22 am
  #12  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,839
Given the marketing of the Residence as being completely private and only the Butler knowing the name of the pax on board it would be a complete contradiction to have extra pax wandering around the F cabin as Residence pax will be seen when in the aisle moving between their living room, bedroom and bathroom.

The A388 is a very quiet aircraft, any additional noise would definitely bother other pax.

With only 5 seats I would be surprised if they ever let Y pax to join J/F pax in the bar.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:46 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: homeless
Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 576
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Given the marketing of the Residence as being completely private and only the Butler knowing the name of the pax on board it would be a complete contradiction to have extra pax wandering around the F cabin as Residence pax will be seen when in the aisle moving between their living room, bedroom and bathroom.
From what I saw in the mock-up at the ATM last year, the aisle between the Residence living room, bedroom and bathroom is behind a standing-height partition to the rest of the F cabin. Movement between the 3 rooms should be pretty private, and certainly not visible to someone sitting in an Apartment.

As for "wandering around the F cabin" I don't think anyone is advocating that
EFATO is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:53 am
  #14  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,839
But the bathroom still requires them to enter the aisle?

Extra pax in the cabin means extra foot traffic. With a single aisle non F pax won't go unnoticed. Of course it's probably up to the cabin director.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: homeless
Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 576
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
But the bathroom still requires them to enter the aisle?
No, bathroom is behind the partition as well. There's a pretty good overview at http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...es-apartments/ - if you take a look at the seatmap you can see the layout of the F cabin, including The Residence - all 3 rooms (living room, bathroom and bedroom) are behind the partition, so it's pretty much completely private.
EFATO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: