Visitor/Guest in A380 Apartment

Old Feb 19, 15, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Silver, EK Gold, MPC - Green
Originally Posted by Acrbag View Post
Just to start with, I'm not looking to break any rules here, just wanted to get some advice (hopefully flame free ).

Would it potentially be possible to invite a guest from J to my F apartment for a brief period of time (30min-1hour)? I know this is new territory as the apartment is one of the first products that can comfortably accommodate visitors.

No worries if not, we can always go to the bar/lounge in-between.
I was in J and my son F a few weeks ago and it was fine. The Purser actually informed me before take off that apart from take off and landing I could spend the entire flight there with him and eat together etc.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:34 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Simon Cuckoo View Post
I was in J and my son F a few weeks ago and it was fine. The Purser actually informed me before take off that apart from take off and landing I could spend the entire flight there with him and eat together etc.
Wow. That wouldn’t happen on many many other carriers. Interesting.
Old Feb 19, 15, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Interesting - and very surprising (to me at least) too.

Obviously, from your perspective, it was a really welcome offer by the Purser, and must have left you with a very positive impression of Etihad (or perhaps you had that impression already as a regular with them...?)

But this surely has to be considered a totally unofficial action on the part of the Purser, rather than seen as standard EY policy, or a privilege that others could rely on being offered as a matter of routine. By 'unofficial' I mean, it's extremely doubtful that anyone writing to EY in advance of a specific flight, and asking whether this sort of thing would be allowed, would get a response along the lines of yes, of course, once you're on board just check with the Purser and it will be fine, Sir

The ramifications of such practice becoming in any way routine, and allowed as readily as it was in your case, are of course crystal clear : any two family members (married couple, two brothers etc etc ...) or two business colleagues planning to fly somewhere together in F would simply book only one F seat, and the other in J. Bingo, both then sit and eat in F but only one F fare is actually paid.

Your experience makes it sound so simple, and I don't doubt your word at all. But, would you say there were any unusual or 'special' circumstances that applied to your own flight, or your own personal situation on the day ....?? Plus, do you either/both of you have premium status with EY ....?

Last edited by subject2load; Feb 19, 15 at 11:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 19, 15, 4:39 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by Acrbag View Post
Just to start with, I'm not looking to break any rules here, just wanted to get some advice (hopefully flame free ).

Would it potentially be possible to invite a guest from J to my F apartment for a brief period of time (30min-1hour)? I know this is new territory as the apartment is one of the first products that can comfortably accommodate visitors.

No worries if not, we can always go to the bar/lounge in-between.
Conjugal visit?
Old Feb 20, 15, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Interesting - and very surprising (to me at least) too.

Your experience makes it sound so simple, and I don't doubt your word at all. But, would you say there were any unusual or 'special' circumstances that applied to your own flight, or your own personal situation on the day ....?? Plus, do you either/both of you have premium status with EY ....?
I was surprised too. I am EK gold and no status on EY. It was in fact my first EY flight. Once I boarded I just went to see his suite and was immediately offered a glass of champagne by the Purser and I apologetically said I wouldnt stay there long. She then just said it was fine and told me as long as I returned to my seat for take off/landing everything else was fine and even brought me some pjs and dates

After take off I didn't actually return to 1st as I didnt want to disturb other passengers who had paid for 1st class and I wanted to sleep.

I would guess that because of his age (18) that they let me bend the rules.
Old Feb 20, 15, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
I would guess that because of his age (18) that they let me bend the rules.
Your 18 y/o son was in F and you were in J? Please explain
Old Feb 20, 15, 4:22 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The A388 F Apartment has a bench seat to accommodate two guests as per the seat belts provided. One has to therefore assume that you can use them.

Was OP Upped to First on the 388 recently and was placed BETWEEN a married couple ! I asked if there were opening slides (I knew that there were) and the stewardess said no. I then checked with the chef and he said of course so I then swapped seats around so that they could sleep next to each other. They were really grateful.

He by the way was a VERY well known 18 time world champion darts player and VERY friendly
Old Feb 20, 15, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by EFATO View Post
Your 18 y/o son was in F and you were in J? Please explain
Hahaha. I booked my Father and I in J many months before and when I booked my son at a later date there was a one way free upgrade offer to F on our routing. Lucky lucky boy hasn't yet stopped rubbing it in.
Old Feb 22, 15, 8:46 am

Programs: QF Plat, EY Plat, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Bonvoy Plat
whew! I thought you might have been justin bieber's dad for a minute there
Old Feb 22, 15, 1:08 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
The EY Residence soon becoming Flyertalker`s favorite way of travelling I suggest to promise the purser always to use condoms under an circumstances and keep possible noise on civilised level . Considering what you paid for the ticket nobody should complain .

My guessing .
Old Feb 25, 15, 3:24 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi Acrbag,

The answer from Etihad is Yes. We still advise you to contact our cabin crew on board before inviting your friend. Thank you. *JS
Old Feb 26, 15, 6:38 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp View Post
Hi Acrbag,

The answer from Etihad is Yes. We still advise you to contact our cabin crew on board before inviting your friend. Thank you. *JS

Cheers! Really excited for Etihad's A380 First Class. Reminds me of the old school rail compartments . Will try and do a proper TR
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:16 am

Just wanted to bump this old thread, after confirmation from EY rep, has anyone else had an experience with having someone visit briefly to the first apartments?

We have two apartments booked, and a friend joining at the last minute could only get Y. Would it be possible for him to join us for an hour or so in between meal services?

Cheers,

fw
Old Jul 15, 16, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by faithwins View Post
Just wanted to bump this old thread, after confirmation from EY rep, has anyone else had an experience with having someone visit briefly to the first apartments?

We have two apartments booked, and a friend joining at the last minute could only get Y. Would it be possible for him to join us for an hour or so in between meal services?

Cheers,

fw
Not a chance.
Old Jul 15, 16, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Nope. Nor should he and tbh I find it odd anyone would find that acceptable

Search this Thread
Search Engine: