Community
Wiki Posts
Search

priority baggage handling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

priority baggage handling

So I am hearing that Etihad is good in the air, not very good on the ground. How does that apply to priority baggage handling? Does J baggage come out first all the time, some of the time, or none of the time? Personally I am not interested so much about AUH but more about remote locations (e.g. USA, India).
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:11 am

Surely it depends on the local baggage handlers, who will not be employed by Etihad anyway?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

They are "employed" by Etihad (not full-time, but Etihad is paying), and so Etihad can affect how they operate.

It's just like food: EY can't say "We loaded the food for JFK-AUH in New York; since it's not made by our own employees, we don't have any responsibility for it".
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:25 pm

it's very inconsistent and hugely disappointing and unfortunately I have given up on these tags. I'd say 25% of the time my baggage arrives first. But I do have in many occasions have my priority tag ripped out especially into KUL. And I've used EY extensively from various outstations in Europe to mainly Asia. If your final stop is AUH then you shouldn't worry as they've always come out early - but this is due to low passengers numbers exiting AUH. They were effective 2years ago (I'm gold for 7 years). Having said that I've never used them to/from USA/India so It'll be interesting to hear from others.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Delivery at JFK, DFW, IAD, CMB = all within the first 2-3 minutes for me last month - with a mix of EY/AA priority tags.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
I flew with Emirates first class. I rarely experienced such a thing. My luggage arrived with economy class luggage so as one of the comments mentioned, I also have given up on "priority" tags since these rules are not enforced.

This doesn't apply exclusively with Emirates, but with other airlines as well (Srilankan, Kuwait Airways, Jazeera Airways, etc.)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
It Is very inconsistent. At some airports it works quite well, such as Bangkok, however others (Frankfurt) are a nightmare. On my last two F flights did they not have the golden baggage tags. Once did they use a business class tag which worked fine (arrival in AUH). On the other flight did they use a new, brownish, tag which hast 'priority' written on it as well as 'first' in extremely small letters. This luggage came with the economy bags on the belt.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: EK Platinum, EY Silver
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
They are "employed" by Etihad (not full-time, but Etihad is paying), and so Etihad can affect how they operate.

It's just like food: EY can't say "We loaded the food for JFK-AUH in New York; since it's not made by our own employees, we don't have any responsibility for it".
This might be technically true given they pay them a fee, but when one operator has a monopoloy on baggage handling and catering the airlines have no choice thus are at the mercy of the operator. They dont have the option to switch to a better provider.

In most locations I'd think there is only one service provider.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:51 am

On my recent mixed class (J and F) MEL/LHR return my bag came out very quickly, one of the first on belt both ends. I did notice that Etihad have new tags (or at least new to me), bright red and marked 'HOT Something'.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by grannieflyer
On my recent mixed class (J and F) MEL/LHR return my bag came out very quickly, one of the first on belt both ends. I did notice that Etihad have new tags (or at least new to me), bright red and marked 'HOT Something'.
Was it the "HOT TRANSFER" one. I thought those were for the case you have a short transfer (less than 2hrs) in AUH
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
Was it the "HOT TRANSFER" one. I thought those were for the case you have a short transfer (less than 2hrs) in AUH
Yes, that was it! Transfer times AUH were indeed just short of 2hrs both ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.