Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Ease of Redemption using Etihad Miles

Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Hello
My parents are flying Etihad Business Class from BOM -IAD roundtrip this summer. I am based in the United States - so I am familiar with AA/UA/DL programs and the process of redemption. They both have AA Advantage Numbers but i don't want to accrue miles on AA because the AUH-IAD sector does not accrue miles on AA.
I currently got them their Etihad Guest Numbers - how easy is it for miles to be redeemed for local US flights? for example could I book RDU-SFO using Etihad miles?
Are there any other FF programs that are better or does anybody have any other suggestions on accruing these miles?
Thanks!!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:43 pm

To redeem miles for reward flights on American Airlines or any of its affiliates; members must contact the Etihad Guest Service Centre a minimum of 14 days prior to the intended date of travel. Rewards flight bookings will be confirmed subject to seat availability. Applicable taxes, surcharges and/or fees listed on the ticket will have to be paid at the time of ticket issuance. Flights that are both operated and marketed by American Airlines, American Eagle or American Connection are available for redemption.

http://www.etihadguest.com/Documents...redemption.pdf
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Yikes!! Thanks for the reply!!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:59 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Rather than start a new thread on redeeming miles, I too have questions about redeeming miles so I will ask them here.

I have years of experience using DL SkyMiles to upgrade international flights and to use the miles for award travel. I have no experience using EY Guest miles. I usually purchase business class tickets on EY but may be in a position to buy economy and upgrade. I will need to use some miles soon as they will be expiring in a few months. I understand how to use the mileage calculator on the EY website.

What does the FT community think the best value of EY miles is - upgrading or obtaining an award flight?

Can you upgrade with miles on-line or do you have to call an agent or do it in person? If I wanted to upgrade, how could I be certain that an upgrade would be available just prior to purchasing the ticket? Ex. I would want to upgrade LCA-AUH-JFK-AUH-LCA economy ticket to business class. I wouldn't want to buy the ticket and then find out that the upgrade was not available. Should one ticket through an agent in this case? I am assuming that an upgrade can be confirmed at the time of ticketing. Am I correct?

If you upgrade an economy ticket to business class well in advance of the flight, are you entitled to the chauffeur?

If I decide that buying an economy ticket and upgrading will not work at this time and I had to use some miles before they expired, which of the following flights would you use miles to upgrade from business class to first class and why? Feb 22 EY 171 AUH to LAX or 12 Mar EY100 JFK to AUH

Any other advice?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:20 pm

As to value, to each of its own. This is very, very subjective.

You can upgrade online if you purchased the ticket directly with EY, otherwise you have to call in.

* Etihad chauffeur services will not be available for upgrades from Coral Economy Class to Pearl Business Class
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:14 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by mlqsko
As to value, to each of its own. This is very, very subjective.
I understand. That's why I asked for opinions.

You can upgrade online if you purchased the ticket directly with EY, otherwise you have to call in.
I understand that. But how do I know if an upgrade is available before committing to buy the ticket?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I understand that. But how do I know if an upgrade is available before committing to buy the ticket?
http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Search for your flight dates. If you can see GuestSeat availability for your flights then you have it. Easy as that.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:16 am

http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Search for your flight dates. If you can see GuestSeat availability for your flights then you have it. Easy as that.
Perhaps I am missing something or you are not understanding me. I used the link and got guest seats to show up, but this appears to be an award flight purchase, not a way to find upgrade availability information.

Oh, BTW, WOW on the fuel surcharges! Not good.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Perhaps I am missing something or you are not understanding me. I used the link and got guest seats to show up, but this appears to be an award flight purchase, not a way to find upgrade availability information.

Oh, BTW, WOW on the fuel surcharges! Not good.
I could be wrong. But, I think award upgrades and award flights share the same bucket.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
I could be wrong. But, I think award upgrades and award flights share the same bucket.
This is correct. It is a seat, so upgrade or award, it's still the same seat.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

This is correct. It is a seat, so upgrade or award, it's still the same seat.
Ahhhhh. So what you are saying is that if there is an award seat available, there is also an upgrade seat available (essentially the same seat). Strange way of doing things but I think I get it now.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Ahhhhh. So what you are saying is that if there is an award seat available, there is also an upgrade seat available (essentially the same seat). Strange way of doing things but I think I get it now.
Isn't that how most (if not all) airlines do it?

A seat that is available for redemption at the lowest rate is generally available for an outright redemption (ie seat bought outright using miles) or for an upgrade of an existing ticke (i.e seat in lower cabin bought with cash).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Isn't that how most (if not all) airlines do it?

A seat that is available for redemption at the lowest rate is generally available for an outright redemption (ie seat bought outright using miles) or for an upgrade of an existing ticke (i.e seat in lower cabin bought with cash).
I can't say that's how it's done by all airlines. My experience has been with DL mainly. They have an award search function on their website for you to use to buy award flights with your miles. But to find out if there is a seat available for upgrade (say from coach to business class) you have to call before booking your ticket and ask an agent if there are upgradable seats available (at least on international flights) otherwise you risk the possibility that you will not get an upgrade. Now the mechanics of it may be the same but from the customer's end the process is a bit different. No one on FT in the DL forum has suggested the method mentioned above for EY (IIRC).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
In my opinion is an F award the best use for Ey miles. I give you an example why. I usually fly FRA-AUH and return. Y ticket cost usually about 500€ if you would like to upgrade both sectors it would cost about 54,000miles. An C award cost usually about 64,000miles plus fees. The last F award I got was about68,000miles plus Fees (I paid an extra 150€) and used the miles plus cash option.
Please not that I do not remember the exact amount of miles. It might be possible that I spent a little bit more
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: EY Gold AB Gold Europcar Privilege Executive
I agree withh1ghflly3r J/F redemptions are far better value than upgrades And the cash plus miles option is excellent. Meaning you only have to have 75%of miles and can pay the rest as cash, but still a fraction of what an out right cash seat would cost

It costs over 70000 miles to upgrade a return flight AUH-DUB but only just over 90000 to redeem a J seat. No brainer in my opinion considering a y ticket on the route starts at about 600 euro!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.