Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Poor service - 5 hr bus delay from AUH to Dubai

Poor service - 5 hr bus delay from AUH to Dubai

Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: Golden Circle, Skywards
Originally Posted by living
There were no Etihad representatives I could talk to (since the bus service is outside the airport, and there were no reps around). I ended up having to take a taxi all the way to Dubai, which cost me an additional $100.
Why didn't you go back into the terminal? Seriously this is like #1 thing to do, go back and query what someone is saying to make sure that its right before forking out a lot of money.

Why did you pay extra for a free service? There is a free bus transfer service from AUH to Dubai on all tickets booked.

Why did you pay $100 for a taxi? It should cost roughly 170Dhs which is Ł30/$47, you have been ripped off on that front.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StoobyDoo
Why didn't you go back into the terminal? Seriously this is like #1 thing to do, go back and query what someone is saying to make sure that its right before forking out a lot of money.
I did go back to the terminal. There was no representative from Etihad airlines to be found. There were car rental / hotel counters, but no Etihad airways counter.

Why did you pay extra for a free service? There is a free bus transfer service from AUH to Dubai on all tickets booked.
When I was booking my tickets there was a fare difference between AUH and XNB (their Dubai terminal). That led me to believe the price of the bus was factored into the ticket. Also if you don't book your fare to and from XNB there is a chance you will not be able to get on a bus to/from Dubai if it is at full capacity.

Why did you pay $100 for a taxi? It should cost roughly 170Dhs which is Ł30/$47, you have been ripped off on that front.
Clearly you've spent 18 years in Dubai like me and every single destination in Dubai is $47 from the Abu Dhabi airport. My fare was $280 dirhams + tip. I used the official airport taxi and not some shady service.

Also the matter never got resolved. I got an email twice, and both times the conversation stopped after I replied to the email. Pretty horrible service.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
This reminds me of the old BSL/MLH trick. Basel EuroAirport has two airport codes, 1 French and 1 Swiss; flights out of the French side could be significantly cheaper than flights out of the Swiss side.

Flights were ticketed MLH-BSL (walk, 1 min), BSL-CDG (flight, 45 mins), for example.

Sounds like the same setup. There is no "check-in" as such for the bus, so it's not like they can no-show you on it (or deny boarding on it if it wasn't booked).

Will keep this in mind when booking future AUH tickets, thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Clearly you've spent 18 years in Dubai like me and every single destination in Dubai is $47 from the Abu Dhabi airport. My fare was $280 dirhams + tip. I used the official airport taxi and not some shady service.
Aside from the fact that you tipped a taxi in Dubai ... you got ripped off

An official taxi (not a shady service) is around 210AED all the way to Deira - and about 190AED to Dubai Mall.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.p...27889600000003
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: EK Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold
The AUH airport taxis (black Mercedes vans) have a flag fee of 30 dirhams, which is wayyy higher than a normal silver AD taxi...that's probably why he paid so much (before tip). I had to take one from T1 arrivals hall to my office on Yas and it was 50 dirhams...

Last edited by RBFF10; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:16 pm Reason: Typo on fee, extra info added.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Golden Circle, Skywards
Not 18 years but long enough to know that 280dhs is a rip off and a tip? You must be joking, surely?!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Not 18 years but long enough to know that 280dhs is a rip off and a tip? You must be joking, surely?!
Dubai is a pretty big city, and I really don't want to debate how the fare from AUH to different parts of dubai can differ dramatically.

If I tip cab drivers in NYC, I tip cab drivers in Dubai. Its not a matter of what I can get away with in different cities, its a matter of tipping someone in recognition of good service.

I'm also happy to report that Etihad did reach out to me, recognized their error and credit me cab fare with miles worth the same amount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.