Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selecting seats on A380 F (Apartments)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Any idea if the JFK route will start later this year? Or are they considering another US city like Chicago or SFO?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Juggy007
Any idea if the JFK route will start later this year? Or are they considering another US city like Chicago or SFO?
JFK is supposed to be the next destination. Originally there was talk it would be towards the end of 2015 but now there's speculation it may be early 2016. Nothing concrete yet, I believe.

It all probably comes down to A380 availability.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:03 am

We flew in apartments 3A/4A as a couple last week on the AUH - LHR flight and words simply cannot express how stunning and spacious the apartments really are.

They are a First class beyond first.

Service was absolutely fantastic.

For those asking the shower is reserved in 30 minute increments.

Once all F passengers are on board the cabin crew enquiry with each as to who would like to use the shower and when and prepare a schedule accordingly, waking you/advising when it is your time. The onboard shower is actually better than some I have experienced in hotels and the like.

The apartments are so so spacious and when travelling as a couple having the ability to join 3A/4A 3K/4K is a real plus point.

Any questions just ask.

Some images from my flight can be found at the following:

http://www.airteamimages.com/lightbox4024.html
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Is the table big enough for two to dine sat opposite in the same apartment?

It almost looks like it is from your photos, but not quite really. Wondering how the stewardesses react when you suggested it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeffers
Is the table big enough for two to dine sat opposite in the same apartment?

It almost looks like it is from your photos, but not quite really. Wondering how the stewardesses react when you suggested it.
The cabin crew actually ask if you wish to dine together in one apartment when travelling as a couple and yes there is room for you both with some careful positioning of items.

Last edited by EY11; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:39 pm Reason: Typographical error
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
My wife and I were able to get RT tickets in F on the A380 JFK-AUH-JFK. For the outbound, we reserved 3K and 4K. For the return, we were only able to get 1H and 2H, so looking forward to contrasting the window couple seats with the aisle couple seats.

It seems that being closer to the window in the bed position may be favorable as we both prefer cooler sleeping conditions. 3K is also open on the return, but we figured we'd rather be adjoining than simply adjacent (even if we both generally prefer window seats). Thoughts?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ggcheckpointline53
My wife and I were able to get RT tickets in F on the A380 JFK-AUH-JFK. For the outbound, we reserved 3K and 4K. For the return, we were only able to get 1H and 2H, so looking forward to contrasting the window couple seats with the aisle couple seats.

It seems that being closer to the window in the bed position may be favorable as we both prefer cooler sleeping conditions. 3K is also open on the return, but we figured we'd rather be adjoining than simply adjacent (even if we both generally prefer window seats). Thoughts?
Good for you!

My wife and I just flew the A380 JFK-AUH apartments last month in 3K and 4K.

It's indeed fun to have the adjoining apartments, but those with the seats by the windows are definitely better, on balance. (Of course, having to "settle" for the aisle seat apartments is certainly a First World Problem.) The one advantage of the aisle seat apartments is that your heads are up against the windows when sleeping, but I'd view that as a marginal matter.

Might you try the following? One of you take 3K for the return. That way, if you're lucky, the other can switch with 4K upon boarding - though ask very politely and don't be surprised or disappointed if you get turned down. (Also, if you're very lucky, 4K will simply open up before departure, or 3A or 4A might, facilitating a switch.) And even if 4K doesn't want to switch, if you two want to be next to each other again then you can ask if the passenger in 1H/2H wants to switch. S/he might well do that.

Even if you can't switch, one of you will still have the window 3K and the other can join him/her to share a nice meal or two together in that apartment, with sitting by the window for meals nicer than sitting by the aisle.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Mar 29, 2016 at 10:53 am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good for you!

(Settling the the aisle seat apartments is certainly a First World Problem.)
Indeed!

The one advantage of the aisle seat apartments is that your heads are up against the windows when sleeping, but I'd view that as a marginal matter.
And I suppose you could always turn to face the window in rows 3/4 (though can't watch the TV that way) if aisle noise became an issue.

Might you try the following? One of you take 3K for the return...

Even if you can't switch, one of you will still have the window 3K and the other can join him/her to share a nice meal or two together in that apartment, with sitting by the window for meals nicer than sitting by the aisle.
Good idea. Think we will do this and thanks!

We actually lucked out in terms of getting on to the 380 on the return. We were originally booked to return on one of the final Jetihad flights to JFK in May, EY 101 at 9:30 am, connecting from MLE the night before. This past Saturday night, I received a "schedule change notification" from Etihad, which showed my return switched to EY 103 (on the 380 at 3:35am). Of course I've been watching this flight for availability but it had not opened up. I'm guessing EY proactively switched the flight because our original flight, EY101 had a schedule change to 10:10am from 9:30 am departure. As a cherry on top, the ticket (an AA award booked a few weeks ago) now qualifies for exception handling due to the schedule change, so AA even opened up space on a favorable domestic connection once we land in JFK.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Seats by the windows are not cool, in fact they get no airflow. If you want to be cool you want a seat by the aisle because that's where the air flows.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Seats by the windows are not cool, in fact they get no airflow. If you want to be cool you want a seat by the aisle because that's where the air flows.
What do you mean by that?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What do you mean by that?
Exactly what I said. There are no personal air vents in EY F on the A388. As such airflow from the ceiling is limited to the aisles.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

And I suppose you could always turn to face the window in rows 3/4 (though can't watch the TV that way) if aisle noise became an issue...

We actually lucked out in terms of getting on to the 380 on the return...
Sleeping in the other direction in 3/4 hadn't occurred to me, but yes, I suppose that's a good option. The only downside, then, is that your feet and legs rather than your heads and torsos will be in the parts of the beds that are open to each other.

FWIW, we didn't experience any excessive noise by virtue of our heads being near the aisle when sleeping.

The one other factor that occurred to me is that you'll be taking off from AUH at something like 3 am, right? Perhaps that affects your planning for how you'll spend the time and which apartments are best. But still, I'd favor having at least one of the window apartments if you think you'll be having one or more meals together along the way.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
This is an individual thing, but we found the cabin comfortable regardless of where we were sitting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.