Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

First time in EY with infant - Our experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in EY with infant - Our experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Millions of people would be mightily impressed in any seat in F, something which most of them can only dream of.

Johan
Millions of adults would I agree, yet millions of 7 year olds would not be impressed with being separated from their parent on what can be a scary experience for a kid (flying that is). I assume you are not a parent and don't get this. They want a hand held and a reassuring look when it gets bumpy.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by yabadoo
This is correct, and I have seen this happen on EY. a "normal" passenger was seated in one of the seats where the bassinets are and on boarding the Purser switched him out into another seat so that the couple who was traveling with the baby could sit together and also so that he did not have a screaming child entertaining him during the flight.

What I don't understand, and why EY find this so excruciatingly difficult, is to positively confirm and block those seats for those passengers who have babies under 2 years old who need the bassinet and the child is clearly included in the PNR. Why give the run-around and stress to go to the airport and play roulette to see if they can get the bassinet seats or not. I mean, who are they saving the seat for? If they believe that it's first-come-first-served at the airport gets the seats, then how is that different to being first-come-first-served to get the seats when you actually make the reservation?
It's a simple fix, this is not complicated, and will win EY repeat business from passengers who are in the situation where they need the bassinets and know they can reserve it when they book.
We've had similar experiences (in Y) where the EY check-in staff in AUH (not contract!!) told us that we *definitely* had the bassinet for our 15 hour flight with an infant only to end somewhere completely different on board and where the purser left us on our own to negotiate getting the bassinet seat.

EK actually blocks the bassinet seats so they can't be selected online unless you have an infant in your res and is explicit that they have the right to reseat you if they need the bassinet on flight day. Why is it so hard?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Millions of adults would I agree, yet millions of 7 year olds would not be impressed with being separated from their parent on what can be a scary experience for a kid (flying that is). I assume you are not a parent and don't get this. They want a hand held and a reassuring look when it gets bumpy.
I've been a frequent flyer since the age of three weeks, when I first visited my paternal and maternal grandparents in different countries. By the time I was your kid's age, I was flying as an unaccompanied minor. So no, I never had any issues with being separated from my parents, they were not even on the plane. Obvioulsy I did not find it a scary experience in any other way either. I might as well confess that I flew First, which I took for granted, but I did think that getting the jumpseat for landing was really cool.

Having said all that, I do understand that you get all kinds of kids, and that some need the constant reassurance that only their parents can provide.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:57 am

Does anyone know if EY have a policy of seating children with their parents like BA do? I have an F booking for my daughter (aged 7) and I and can't pre book the 2 middle seats online. Have called EY and they have put a request in. Row 2 of the middles is taken, row 1 is avail but blocked. Will it be freed up? My 7 year old will not be impressed in 1A!!!
delighted to report that my first world problem has been sorted and we are in the middle!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
We've had similar experiences (in Y) where the EY check-in staff in AUH (not contract!!) told us that we *definitely* had the bassinet for our 15 hour flight with an infant only to end somewhere completely different on board and where the purser left us on our own to negotiate getting the bassinet seat.

EK actually blocks the bassinet seats so they can't be selected online unless you have an infant in your res and is explicit that they have the right to reseat you if they need the bassinet on flight day. Why is it so hard?
This happened to us as well. They lie about it because they can't be bothered to reallocate seats and reissue boarding passes particularly when they have given out all the bulkhead seats. It is much easier for the check-in staff to leave this for the flight attendants to sort out.

Etihad needs to comment on this topic and clarify their position. They want to build an image of an airline that cares for children and came up with the "flight nanny". How about you start by sorting out your lap infants reservation system?!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:00 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Etihad Airways

Dear Guest,

Please kindly send your request to [email protected] along with your booking reference for further assistance.

Thank you! *ZD

Does anyone know if EY have a policy of seating children with their parents like BA do? I have an F booking for my daughter (aged 7) and I and can't pre book the 2 middle seats online. Have called EY and they have put a request in. Row 2 of the middles is taken, row 1 is avail but blocked. Will it be freed up? My 7 year old will not be impressed in 1A!!!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Originally Posted by isle11
I didn't bother to write up a complaint or anything, I just don't know whether it will be worth. Any advise ?
I had a similar experience last year. Flying AUHMAN and requested a bassinet for my 18 month old. I was told at check in that all bassinets were already taken by young families. Fair enough (I thought) and made a mental note to get to check in earlier next time.

We get onto the aircraft and all but one of the 8 potential bassinet positions was occupied by adults without a child in sight. FA did not want to know, neither did the purser when requested. I was particularly put out as I was flying ex-AUH and not some distant outstations with contracted staff.

A strongly worded email followed. I got 15k EY miles (they originally offered 7.5k). I would suggest you aim for a minimum of that; arguably more as you were affected on two flights.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by dxbtraveller; Jan 19, 2015 at 2:02 am Reason: o/d corrected
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Is the bulkhead leg room really worth it for single adult travelers? Seems even less appealing if you are surrounded by babies! I remember travelling with my wife and infant on EK in Y. Single man next to me was surrounded by crying babies, vomit, and chaos from JFK to DXB. He did medicate heavily with whiskey and Ambien, but it can't be pleasant!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dxbtraveller
I had a similar experience last year. Flying AUHMAN and requested a bassinet for my 18 month old. I was told at check in that all bassinets were already taken by young families. Fair enough (I thought) and made a mental note to get to check in earlier next time.

We get onto the aircraft and all but one of the 8 potential bassinet positions was occupied by adults without a child in sight. FA did not want to know, neither did the purser when requested. I was particularly put out as I was flying ex-AUH and not some distant outstations with contracted staff.

A strongly worded email followed. I got 15k EY miles (they originally offered 7.5k). I would suggest you aim for a minimum of that; arguably more as you were affected on two flights.

Hope this helps...
Thank you . I already emailed them. 2 weeks gone, no word. EtihadHelp's socialmedia looks like a publicity stunt, I heard nothing from them either.

Etihad have a great fleet & crew onboard, serious make-over needed elsewhere. Im cursing myself for shifting from EK to EY for this all important first flight with infant. Ofcourse flying J could been a different experience, but when other airlines can do much more for couples with infants in Y, EY has absolutely no reason to do mockery of a situation which can be handled soo easily.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Originally Posted by isle11
Thank you . I already emailed them. 2 weeks gone, no word. EtihadHelp's socialmedia looks like a publicity stunt, I heard nothing from them either.

Etihad have a great fleet & crew onboard, serious make-over needed elsewhere. Im cursing myself for shifting from EK to EY for this all important first flight with infant. Ofcourse flying J could been a different experience, but when other airlines can do much more for couples with infants in Y, EY has absolutely no reason to do mockery of a situation which can be handled soo easily.
FYI this is the email that got me a response: [email protected]
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
When I have had issues with miles not posting, I have found email and telephone to be completely unresponsive. They promise to deal with my request, but generally I get nothing. The last two issues I had, I posted a comment on their Facebook page. In both cases this got an immediate response and the missing miles were credited within a week. Public shaming seems to go a long way with Etihad.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: QFF Plat; BA Gold; Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by ahmed2020

Etihad needs to comment on this topic and clarify their position. They want to build an image of an airline that cares for children and came up with the "flight nanny". How about you start by sorting out your lap infants reservation system?!
We just flew LHR - AUH - MEL return with a 3 year old and an 11 month old in J. Admittedly all of us had seats so the bassinetwas was not an issue, but they did neglect to load the pre-ordered childrens' meals on 3/4 flights and we only saw the sky nanny on 1 flight. I don't mind that much other than the fact they advertise how family friendly they are. Have had much better, family friendly, flights on Qantas (in J). Actually, due to fog at AUH we ended up having to fly AUH-SYD and then to MEL on Virgin. Virgin flight was brilliant (I admit not comparing apples here as it is a 1 hour flight).

The kids lounge in AUH is useful when the airport is not busy though. Due to the fog the outbound leg was chaotic and full/no use, but the return leg was serene and we could leave the kids there with staff. Was useful.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Originally Posted by politetraveller
We just flew LHR - AUH - MEL return with a 3 year old and an 11 month old in J. Admittedly all of us had seats so the bassinetwas was not an issue, but they did neglect to load the pre-ordered childrens' meals on 3/4 flights and we only saw the sky nanny on 1 flight. I don't mind that much other than the fact they advertise how family friendly they are. Have had much better, family friendly, flights on Qantas (in J). Actually, due to fog at AUH we ended up having to fly AUH-SYD and then to MEL on Virgin. Virgin flight was brilliant (I admit not comparing apples here as it is a 1 hour flight).

The kids lounge in AUH is useful when the airport is not busy though. Due to the fog the outbound leg was chaotic and full/no use, but the return leg was serene and we could leave the kids there with staff. Was useful.
The flying nanny's role nowadays seems to be welcoming passengers onto the plane and that's it. Admittedly their role is vague and it is unrealistic to expect them to entertain all the kids in a B777 or A380. Clearly the "flying nanny" was introduced for marketing purposes to create a family friendly image.

We are all hoping that Etihad will focus on what really matters for parents and their kids. It is clear from this thread that they need to do more to improve their service towards parents with infants both at the reservations stage and inflight.

I fly a lot with Etihad and their general service is excellent particularly for gold guests and above. However, it is deeply disappointing to see them fail badly in service for passengers with infants.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
[email protected],[email protected],baggageclaim etc etc etc. And everything is a mere joke. EtihadHelp in this forum is a big fat joke. I didn't bother to cry in EY's Facebook page, as I have quite a few of my friends there aswell, I dont want to make it a story there.

After all most 7 weeks, I got a reply offering a generous 5000 miles and introduced me to this new email address for baggage claim to take care of my issue regarding the 4 days delay in baggage.

I rejected the 5000 miles, and wondering how difficult would it be for EY to forward themselves the details to baggage claim department. I hope its not outsourced..!

EtihadHelp, please please. Do not reply here..!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 am
H99

Programs: centurion
I've had similar issues flying from LHR to Oz, and been deeply unimpressed when bassinet seats have been allocated randomly rather than to the only mother with baby in business class. The cabin crew have typically sorted this out, but its painful. I find EY disfunctional in respect of this kind of thing - BA (for example) allow passengers to book these seast in advance

For my next trip to Oz i was planning to book a seat for infant (who will be 18months at the time). Instead i have taken a First apartment for the both of us - see how that works out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.