Where to credit Etihad flight?

Old Dec 27, 14, 8:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Where to credit Etihad flight?

I'm not sure where I should (or can) credit miles for my upcoming Etihad flight JFK<->AUH.

My current points are in American and United. American is an option, but it says that JFK<->AUH legs won't earn any miles. Is that right? What else can I do?

Thank you
PlasticControl is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:20 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Traveling some where hopefully
Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Posts: 1,951
I have the same problem except AA and DL points.
My 1st flight is on AA but O class so I don't think it gets any credit on AA. Ethiad are in E class. I'm probably going to open a Ethiad FF and post them there? I don't see where they are of any value on any other programs?

Last edited by jjmiller69; Dec 27, 14 at 5:11 pm
jjmiller69 is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:31 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 12,833
This might be helpful...
karenkay is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 3:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Posts: 518
I booked DFW-AUH-DFW and will credit them to ANA. Etihad's E fares get 50% on both Etihad and ANA but I may have use for ANA miles (Star Alliance) as opposed to having them sit in Etihad's FF account.

I guess options may be different if one were to upgrade Y to J using the bidding process and get more miles (don't think airport upgrade gets more miles). Not sure what fare code upgraded J is though...
Rusdude is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 9:04 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA PL, DL GM
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Rusdude View Post
I booked DFW-AUH-DFW and will credit them to ANA. Etihad's E fares get 50% on both Etihad and ANA but I may have use for ANA miles (Star Alliance) as opposed to having them sit in Etihad's FF account.

I guess options may be different if one were to upgrade Y to J using the bidding process and get more miles (don't think airport upgrade gets more miles). Not sure what fare code upgraded J is though...
I have the same routing in the middle of May. I mainlyfly DL so not much help for me to credit to ANA. Based on the link posted above, might just consider using the points in the online store and get at least some kind of value from them.

Any idea what a successful upgrade bid will be? I'm departing on a Monday and returning on a Tuesday so I'm hopefully for a light load....
SpiderFlyerTX is offline  
Old Jan 10, 15, 12:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by SpiderFlyerTX View Post
I have the same routing in the middle of May. I mainlyfly DL so not much help for me to credit to ANA. Based on the link posted above, might just consider using the points in the online store and get at least some kind of value from them.

Any idea what a successful upgrade bid will be? I'm departing on a Monday and returning on a Tuesday so I'm hopefully for a light load....
DFW-AUH route is so new (I think it started in December, right) so I haven't found any posts about upgrade estimates but I suspect it'd be at least $1000 each way which is something I'd seriously consider doing given the length of the trip (especially if it upgrades fare class to something that earns 125-150% miles with ANA or Korean).
Rusdude is offline  
Old Jan 10, 15, 6:02 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,139
On departure upgrades earn mileage as per the original class, not the upgraded one. Been there done that.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Jan 13, 15, 11:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
On departure upgrades earn mileage as per the original class, not the upgraded one. Been there done that.
Correct but I was wondering about the upgrades due to bidding.
Rusdude is offline  
Old Jan 13, 15, 1:20 pm
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,507
Originally Posted by jjmiller69 View Post
I have the same problem except AA and DL points.
My 1st flight is on AA but O class so I don't think it gets any credit on AA. Ethiad are in E class. I'm probably going to open a Ethiad FF and post them there? I don't see where they are of any value on any other programs?
"O" on EY is an award, but "O" on AA is a discounted economy fare that (along with G, Q, N and S) earns full AAdvantage miles (whether the AA marketed flight is operated by another airline or not has no bearing). See http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
JDiver is offline  
Old Jan 13, 15, 8:40 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Traveling some where hopefully
Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
"O" on EY is an award, but "O" on AA is a discounted economy fare that (along with G, Q, N and S) earns full AAdvantage miles (whether the AA marketed flight is operated by another airline or not has no bearing). See http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Thanks I wasn't aware of the 1/1/2015 change. I flew AA domestic on 11/2014 and only got 50% mileage and 0 eqms.
The AA flown segment is O and the EY's are E. So my ORD to CDG I have to change for sure.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Jan 13, 15 at 8:56 pm
jjmiller69 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
I also am booked in AA "O" class on JFK-CDG and then EY E on CDG-AUH and AUH-JNB. Same on the way back. Will the JFK-CDG segments earn EQMs on AA since they are on AA metal (they are EY ticket stock, but I have a separate AA confirmation number)?

I know the other segments will get RDMs but not EQMs. If I call after the fact when I have tickets issued by AA in JFK do you think I'd be able to get them to credit me the EQMs?
carolina13 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 15, 6:13 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA GS, AMEX PLAT, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 184
To answer a previous thread in this post; I flew DFW-AUH-DFW in Feb. When I got the select upgrade email, the lowest bid for DFW-AUH was $1200 (max $3000) USD and from AUH-DFW was $1300 (max $3700). I bid the lowest amount and each confirmed 48 hours prior to the day of departure.

There was still J/R inventory 72 hours before the flight, and then about 48 hours before, Expert Flyer alerted me, less than 7 J remaining. Then I checked the PNR and noticed I had been upgraded.

Well worth it, fantastic experience.

Miles posted as 0 to Etihad Guest for the outbound, so I'll give it a few more days for the return to post then give them a call. Etihad Guest seemed to be the best place to bank these for now (assuming they post!)

There was a huge conference going on in Abu Dhabi when I was leaving so I didn't expect my return to clear.

Cheers and YMMV on the upgrade amounts.

xx/02/2015 DFW - AUH EY0160 /X 0 0
netsc is offline  
Old Feb 24, 15, 4:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by netsc View Post
To answer a previous thread in this post; I flew DFW-AUH-DFW in Feb. When I got the select upgrade email, the lowest bid for DFW-AUH was $1200 (max $3000) USD and from AUH-DFW was $1300 (max $3700). I bid the lowest amount and each confirmed 48 hours prior to the day of departure.

There was still J/R inventory 72 hours before the flight, and then about 48 hours before, Expert Flyer alerted me, less than 7 J remaining. Then I checked the PNR and noticed I had been upgraded.

Well worth it, fantastic experience.

Miles posted as 0 to Etihad Guest for the outbound, so I'll give it a few more days for the return to post then give them a call. Etihad Guest seemed to be the best place to bank these for now (assuming they post!)

There was a huge conference going on in Abu Dhabi when I was leaving so I didn't expect my return to clear.

Cheers and YMMV on the upgrade amounts.

xx/02/2015 DFW - AUH EY0160 /X 0 0
Thank you for the information!
Rusdude is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread