Reward flight - Bad experience

Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, Le Club Accor Gold
Reward flight - Bad experience

I flew auh to bkk on a reward ticket in business class after flying from lhr in economy. As always economy proved value for money and with silver status the lounge access was much appreciated.

It is not my first business class flight with etihad and was looking forward to my second leg. It maybe that Etihad staff were having a bad day as there were 4 staff in the business cabin yet I had to wait for 45 minutes before I got a drink after take off. They didnt even have bottled water at my seat. It was hard to get service the whole flight and it seemed like I was being ignored for the most part so I had to keep pressing my flight attendant button. I wouldnt mind but there were basic things like when my main course was chucked down I didnt get a refill of wine, they should have seen my glass empty, but just quickly ran off before I could open my mouth. So I had to push the button for that and then again for some mustard. If the server had just said 'can I get you anything else'? It would have been much easier.

We were also a good 45 minutes delayed from take off not that they communicated to anyone about the delay. I had one more connection from bkk to cxm which I just made. Unfortunately my bags didnt make it and I had to go back the next day for them. When I told Etihad they said they would look into it. That was over 2 weeks ago and still no reply. Thankfully Bangkok airways can be trusted to do their job properly.

I was asked to give feedback on my experience so I did. Obviously they weren't interested in what I had to say. Wheres the customer service?

What Etihad advertise and what they deliver are miles apart be warned!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Bet they knew it was a reward ticket

DYKWIA...

I have seen them ignore some and kiss others...reminds me of some bar tenders...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Would this then imply that Etihad condone this kind of behaviour by their staff. I can only assume as Etihad is mute on this

They only pay attention when you tweet
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:45 pm

I am yet to experience any crew attentiveness issue on redemption bookings with EY. Always well treated and looked after.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:05 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi Christoates,

Thank you for taking time to let us know.

First of all, we are really sorry for your frustration. Please get in touch with your social channels to provide us with more details so we can assist you further.

Thank you and Best Regards. *JS
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:48 am

I have found that service depends on how busy the flight actually is. If the cabin is full then service does drop off, but if there are open seats then the crew are more relaxed and seem to provide better service. This would be in business class.

Funnily this seems to be the opposite in economy class, where if the cabin is full the crew seem to be more up for the service, but when it is relatively empty they seem to relax and their service standards drop. YMMV.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Anyone who complains that it takes 45 mins to get a drink after take off, let alone a departure delay is not a frequent flyer and needs to travel more.

I can't renember the last time I pressed the call button.

I do, however, give you credit for the pub in your last sentence.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps I should clarify m0hamed, I'm not moaning about a 45 minute delay your right they happen all the time. Its the lack of communication! I've never been on a delayed flight where nobody says anything.

Also there were 4 staff in a small not completely full business class cabin. I hate to push the button and that's why my drink took so long.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:48 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
No airline provides service on international flights less than 30 mins after take off. That's how long the service takes to prepare.

Even BA and QF who take drink orders prior to take off do not serve drinks that quickly in J or F.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
My experience with Etihad AND Emirates in biz or first has always depended upon the % of locals seated in the cabin. IME, if the cabin is more than 30% Emirati then the level of service is remarkably high. If there aren't many or ANY then the service goes out the window. It's just the way it is in those parts and you all know it.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
We took our first Etihad long haul in J the other day AUH-SYD and the service was abysmal.

Everyone had to use the call button for anything during the flight. The cabin crew did not proactively walk through the cabin and on the rare occasion one did dart through, they tried to avoid any contact with passengers.

No water top ups, just terrible service.

I will see what they are like on return but so far their hype far exceeds their reality. EK and QR are light years in front (each for their own reasons).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:11 am

I have never perceived any difference in customer service between revenue and reward flights. What cannot be beaten, however, is travelling on an ID90 (crew ticket). FAs probably think I am a best-aged pilot, I never get so many smiles and touches as when I am travelling on those ID90s ... ;-)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: EY Gold - CX Silver
I have been in J on award tickets, paid tickets, paid upgrades and op ups; had different experiences but can't link them to the type of ticket. While of course the number of passengers in the cabin is a big factor, I believe the service level is mostly dependant on the crew or even the particular crew member that is assigned to your aisle. I have had wonderful experiences where you don't feel you have to ask anything, all is just there or suggested at the right time and I have experienced crews that were mostly keen on making themselves as invisible as possible.

I switch between CX and EY for my Europe to Asia flights, the biggest reason I prefer CX in J is because of service level consistency.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
if you are not getting served, go into the galley and grab what you need and bring it back to your seat. That will get their attention real fast.

I had a similar experience with Qatar--the crew spent most of the flight eating leftovers from business and talking to each other.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:32 pm

EY service is very inconsistent that's for sure regardless if its a reward flight or not so hopefully you're not too upset about it. From my J class experience flights to LHR is very inconsistent but to other destinations - MUC, DUB, PEK, KTM for instance service is incredible despite J class being full. In economy its slightly different - flights to and from London weirdly is never the best, despite this being their 'flagship route - hence the A380'. It's lately being filled with inexperienced crew who clearly is incompetent I must say. My best experience has always been flights going into Asian destinations such as KUL and NRT. These flights have a higher ratio of crew from carriers such as MH and ANA. It makes a world of difference. lol..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.