Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Staying Overnight on Connecting flight in Abu Dhabi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster

I am a US citizen flying with my wife from US to AUH to MLE. 14 hour layover in abu dhabi, so we are spending the night at the premier inn which i believe is basically across the street.

Do I need a visa of any kind to do so? According to this site it appears that I need one, but they give it to me there?

http://www.abudhabi.com/v/visa_requirements/

Also, should I check my baggage all the way through to MLE, or MUST I pick it up in AUH and check it in again in the morning? This thread suggests I must pick it up?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...yover-auh.html

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Assuming you hold a US passport, you will get your VISA on arrival, nothing special that you need to do beforehand. You will also have to pick up your luggage in AUH and check-in again the next day.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:44 pm

Your bags can be checked all the way without claiming it in AUH unless you specifically request it to be checked only till AUH. You can even get the boarding passes for both sectors.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:16 am

I had a layover in AUH last month and spent the night in the Premier Inn. You can check your luggage all the way through and get your boarding pass for the next sector, make sure you request it when you check in.

On arrival in AUH just follow the signs to the Premier Inn along the corridor, you don't need to go outside. Get a couple of bottles of water from the pharmacy on the way. The hotel has a pool, gym and free wifi, breakfast is reasonably priced and very good. There is a free drop off in town if you like but you need to make your own way back.

I would definitely lay over again as it made the Dublin - Singapore journey in economy quite comfortable compared to a three hour wait for a connection on the same day. I was much fresher and far less jet lagged on arrival.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brisman33
I had a layover in AUH last month and spent the night in the Premier Inn. You can check your luggage all the way through and get your boarding pass for the next sector, make sure you request it when you check in.

On arrival in AUH just follow the signs to the Premier Inn along the corridor, you don't need to go outside. Get a couple of bottles of water from the pharmacy on the way. The hotel has a pool, gym and free wifi, breakfast is reasonably priced and very good. There is a free drop off in town if you like but you need to make your own way back.

I would definitely lay over again as it made the Dublin - Singapore journey in economy quite comfortable compared to a three hour wait for a connection on the same day. I was much fresher and far less jet lagged on arrival.
Great! So Just to confirm, I do NOT have to pick up my checked luggage in AUH? I can just go straight to the premier inn and continue my journey the next morning and not worry about luggage?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by brewernq
Great! So Just to confirm, I do NOT have to pick up my checked luggage in AUH? I can just go straight to the premier inn and continue my journey the next morning and not worry about luggage?
Yes ..as long as you get your bags tagged all the way
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by brewernq
Great! So Just to confirm, ...
One FTer said one thing, then three said another and one of them reconfirmed it. What makes you so certain that the first one wasn't correct? This is like the second opinion one gets from medicss. I've often wondered which one "wins". Statistics won't help, one chooses the one that (s)he wants to hear. But in order not to put you back in dilemmas, relax, I agree with the three!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
One FTer said one thing, then three said another and one of them reconfirmed it. What makes you so certain that the first one wasn't correct? This is like the second opinion one gets from medicss. I've often wondered which one "wins". Statistics won't help, one chooses the one that (s)he wants to hear. But in order not to put you back in dilemmas, relax, I agree with the three!
now I'm worried. lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.