Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Removal of chauffeur service for some business class passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removal of chauffeur service for some business class passengers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Thumbs down Removal of chauffeur service for some business class passengers

Etihad have withdrawn their chauffeur service to all Z class business travel including somewhat surprisingly to Gold and Gold Elite holders

Some might think that such a change would have been communicated directly by email to all Etihad guests but as a gold card holder I only found out after I had made my booking.

I think that this lack of communication is a disgrace and for me the chauffeur is a very significant factor in my choice of airline and I for one would have been demanding a refund had they not agreed that as I had already booked in this case they would allow the chauffeur.

I do not know why Etihad have tried to slip this in under the radar but I am surprised that they have applied it to Gold and Gold Elite guests - at the least they should have reduced it to one end of the journey only

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Etihad have withdrawn their chauffeur service to all Z class business travel including somewhat surprisingly to Gold and Gold Elite holders
That is a very bold and broad claim to make - and you have not substantiated the claim. Your own experience on one single booking does not mean it has been withdrawn for ALL Z bookings. Have you any tangible evidence to support the breadth of your claim?

I made a Z class booking last week, and I am able to call up the chauffeur reservation page. Clearly, if there is truth in your claim, there must be limits to it (certain destinations, time of making the booking, etc etc)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:09 am
Original Poster

How do you wish me to substantiate the claim - This is what I was told yesterday by Etihad in the UK who said it was withdrawn at the weekend. If I am wrong I am sure Etihad will correct me
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website makes no mention of Z-class passengers not being allowed to book.

Originally Posted by Etihad Chauffeur T&Cs
Terms and conditions

Etihad Chauffeur service is available to the following guests

1.Guests holding tickets with confirmed reservations in First or Business Class.
2.Etihad Chauffeur is available to Etihad Guest members redeeming their miles on First and Business class.
3.Guests travelling on Etihad Airways operated flights (although holding other airline tickets), are eligible for Etihad Chauffer service.

Etihad Chauffeur is not available for the following:
•The service is not available to guests who are waitlisted, in transit or those collecting tickets on departure.
•The Etihad Chauffeur service can only be used by travelers who have a corresponding arriving or departing flight on the same day. The service cannot be availed on any other day for any reason.
•Etihad Chauffeur is not available to Un-accompanied Minors (UM).
•Etihad Chauffeur service must be booked at least 24 hours in advance of travel. Service will not be confirmed for bookings made within 24 hours. Service cannot be arranged for guests on arrival airport without prior bookings.
•Etihad Chauffeur operates within specific distances of all destinations where offered. If the service requested exceeds the specified mileage limits in any given city, guests are required to pay for the excess mileage at the locally applicable rates. All charges for excess mileage should be settled by guests directly with the chauffeur.
•If a guest fails to cancel an Etihad Chauffeur booking and the chauffeur arrives at the appointed time and place only to be sent away, this will be termed as “No Show". The service cannot be rebooked for a future date in conjunction with the same ticket.
•Etihad Chauffeur services are provided by third party service providers. Etihad has no liability for loss, personal injury or death incurred during the use of such facilities and services unless such loss, personal injury or death is / are caused solely by Etihad negligence.
•The Etihad Chauffeur service may be restricted on some special/promotional fare tickets. Please check with your travel agent or with the Etihad Airways office at the time of your booking.
•Etihad Chauffeur is not available for use with complimentary tickets or complimentary upgrades from Economy to Business and/or First Class.
•Guests must adhere to the pick-up times given to them. The pick-up time is neither flexible nor negotiable. Drivers will wait for a maximum of 20 minutes, after which the driver will advise the guest and promptly be released for the next assignment.
•Guests traveling on codeshare flights not operated by Etihad Airways.
Could it be that the agent was misinformed? Did you try to make the chauffeur booking online, as should normally be possible?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

I can not say if the agent was misinformed I can only repeat what she told me last night and that this had changed at the weekend (which was possibly why you could book yours). Like you I did look at the web page but it was not clear.

personally I do not usually have any idea which class of fare I am booking I just check the cancellation and change details and the agents do not usually inform you of the fare class
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: EY Gold AB Gold Europcar Privilege Executive
Excuse the ignorance what is Z class? Redemption fare or discounted business fare?

Sometimes if you hangup and talk to another agent you get a different answer or at least someone who is able to do exactly what the previous agent told you was impossible to do!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The website now says 'some promotional fares are excluded'.

It does not list which ones.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
The website now says 'some promotional fares are excluded'.
It always did.

And Z was never considered a special/promotional fare previously.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually...

although Z still appears in their table of earning classes, Z is not listed when using the mileage calculator.

Perhaps Z is changing...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:34 am

Last week I used Chauffeur service travelling Z class. I got it for 2 legs out of 4 (as per the usual rules for non-elites).

I have another trip coming up in Nov. Sad if it is indeed dropped.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:58 am

[QUOTE=minmaguire;23711043]Excuse the ignorance what is Z class? Redemption fare or discounted business fare?/QUOTE]

I too would love to know what Z is. Looked at my next J class booking and can see no mention of which class I have. Also just tried a trial booking on Etihad website and see no mention of the class on a J flight.
Perhaps somebody who is more knowledgeable can help?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

As I understand it it only applies to bookings made from this week and all old bookings are to be honored as one would expect.

I am surprised that the Etihad social media person who monitors this and other sites has not entered the debate and provided a definitive answer and I stand by my original theme that the communication is a disgrace if indeed it is true.

BA many years ago got a lot of criticism for removing peanuts form their business class but this is a fundamental part of the Etihad offer to many like myself. If chauffeur not available I will certainly be very seriously considering Emirates and Qatar given the difficulty I face in getting to Manchester airport in time for the morning departure (both offer me a more convenient mid day departure and emirates also include the chauffeur)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am surprised that the Etihad social media person who monitors this and other sites has not entered the debate and provided a definitive answer and I stand by my original theme that the communication is a disgrace if indeed it is true.
I'm not - whoever writes here on behalf of Etihad sounds like a robot. They don't seem to ever read the flow of the thread, or completely engage with the question, but rather merely post several variations of "please contact us on <email address>".

BA many years ago got a lot of criticism for removing peanuts form their business class but this is a fundamental part of the Etihad offer to many like myself.
Comparing peanuts to chauffeurs!

you can always bring your own peanuts on board. Sadly, the same is not always true for chauffeurs...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjmal51
I too would love to know what Z is. Looked at my next J class booking and can see no mention of which class I have. Also just tried a trial booking on Etihad website and see no mention of the class on a J flight.
Perhaps somebody who is more knowledgeable can help?
Look at your e-ticket receipt - as sent to you by Etihad, or on the website (click "view E-ticket receipt" under "Next Steps" on the right-hand column once you log in with your PNR and surname)

In the column headed "other notes", for each flight you will see a "Fare Basis" followed by a string of letters and numbers. The first letter is the fare code you are booked in. If the sequence starts with a Z, then you have a Z class business ticket. If any individual flight is shown with a fare basis starting with W, C, D, or J, for that particular flight that is the fare class that applies to that flight.

Generally (but not always) all flights will be in the same fare class.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Comparing peanuts to chauffeurs!

I know my point was that taking away something however small can have a significant adverse reaction and often far outweighing the original benefits of introducing it.

I agree that in this case it is far far more serious as it could potentially lose them business (unlike the peanuts). For me that would be a shame as I really like the Etihad lounge in Manchester and the on board experience with Etihad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.