Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Tier miles

Hi, I'm under 400 tier miles short of gold...dont fancy another flight before end of October just to get gold status but dont want to miss it either. Are there any other ways to obtain tier miles?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:13 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi there, unfortunately you can only earn tier miles by flying on Etihad operated flights or with our partners such as Air Berlin and Virgin Australia. Stays tuned to our Etihad Guest website for double miles promotions where you can double your earning with short hall flights. *ES

Last edited by EtihadHelp; Sep 5, 2014 at 5:42 am
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Chocoholic123
Hi, I'm under 400 tier miles short of gold...dont fancy another flight before end of October just to get gold status but dont want to miss it either. Are there any other ways to obtain tier miles?
Where are you located?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hi there, unfortunately you can only ear tier miles by flying on Etihad operated flights.
That's not true. Tier miles can be earnt flying on partner airlines as well such as AB and VA. At least that's what the t&c state. Or has there been a recent policy change?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Is the user EtihadHelp an actual Etihad representative?

Their posting record is sparse, but unusual.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
That's not true. Tier miles can be earnt flying on partner airlines as well such as AB and VA. At least that's what the t&c state. Or has there been a recent policy change?
Be very careful of this. Let the flyer beware. Under the Earn Miles section of the website, Etihad says

As an Etihad Guest member you will earn miles every time you fly with Etihad Airways, our airline partners, visit our online shops or spend with our non-airline partners.
you can then scroll down and click on Airline Partners. You'll see FlyBe there but no indication at all that you can only redeem miles (not earn them) when you use FlyBe except in very exceptional codeshare situtations.

This caught me out last year and took it took 6 months of protracted communication with Etihad to finally get someone to apologise for the misleading info not only on their website, but from their call centre too. I had in fact called up and asked if I would earn miles on the specific FlyBe route I was going to be taking and had been told I would.

In the end, this was all baloney.

My advice would be to prepare yourself for the fact that you may earn nothing at all despite their advertising 'promises'.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sicklyman
Be very careful of this. Let the flyer beware. Under the Earn Miles section of the website, Etihad says

you can then scroll down and click on Airline Partners. You'll see FlyBe there but no indication at all that you can only redeem miles (not earn them) when you use FlyBe except in very exceptional codeshare situtations.

This caught me out last year and took it took 6 months of protracted communication with Etihad to finally get someone to apologise for the misleading info not only on their website, but from their call centre too. I had in fact called up and asked if I would earn miles on the specific FlyBe route I was going to be taking and had been told I would.

In the end, this was all baloney.

My advice would be to prepare yourself for the fact that you may earn nothing at all despite their advertising 'promises'.
I can confirm for the least part that earning tier miles on EY is possible if flying on VA and AB on an eligible fare.

Flybe is a codeshare partner and lists specific routes for the code share, hence the earning potential.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:24 am

For VA: http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/e...lue-Group.aspx

Flights taken on Virgin Australia are eligible to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and therefore do contribute to earning or maintaining your Etihad Guest Silver or Gold Tier.
AB: http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/e...Airberlin.aspx

Flights taken on airberlin are eligible to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and therefore contribute to earning or maintaining your Etihad Guest Tier status.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Flybe is a codeshare partner and lists specific routes for the code share, hence the earning potential.
True. The full list of routes codeshare earning routes available HERE includes FlyBe.

However, what makes FlyBe deceptive is that unlike, say, codeshare partner BMI, FlyBe are specifically listed on the Earning Airlines partners page at http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/airline/

I have been told on the phone "sorry sir, FlyBe is only a redemption partner, not an earnings partner". That's fine. But if so, do not put it on the earnings page of your website Etihad
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

very helpful, thanks all.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sicklyman
True. The full list of routes codeshare earning routes available HERE includes FlyBe.

However, what makes FlyBe deceptive is that unlike, say, codeshare partner BMI, FlyBe are specifically listed on the Earning Airlines partners page at http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/airline/
That list of codeshare partners and routes is very out of date. BMI no longer exists - it's almost 2 years since their final flight.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:20 am
Original Poster

I wrote to Etihad to explan I was just under 400 tier miles short of achieving Gold status with the points year coming to an end this month. Asked them if they'd consider extending it as my next trip was not likely to be till December. They very graciously, as a gesture of goodwill, upgraded me to Gold. Hurrah Thank you Etihad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.