Tier miles

Old Sep 4, 14, 7:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 42
Tier miles

Hi, I'm under 400 tier miles short of gold...dont fancy another flight before end of October just to get gold status but dont want to miss it either. Are there any other ways to obtain tier miles?
Chocoholic123 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 14, 7:13 am
  #2  
Company Representative, Etihad
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,633
Hi there, unfortunately you can only earn tier miles by flying on Etihad operated flights or with our partners such as Air Berlin and Virgin Australia. Stays tuned to our Etihad Guest website for double miles promotions where you can double your earning with short hall flights. *ES

Last edited by EtihadHelp; Sep 5, 14 at 5:42 am
EtihadHelp is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,146
Originally Posted by Chocoholic123 View Post
Hi, I'm under 400 tier miles short of gold...dont fancy another flight before end of October just to get gold status but dont want to miss it either. Are there any other ways to obtain tier miles?
Where are you located?
edy4eva is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 12:56 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,146
Originally Posted by EtihadHelp View Post
Hi there, unfortunately you can only ear tier miles by flying on Etihad operated flights.
That's not true. Tier miles can be earnt flying on partner airlines as well such as AB and VA. At least that's what the t&c state. Or has there been a recent policy change?
edy4eva is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 1:42 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,497
Is the user EtihadHelp an actual Etihad representative?

Their posting record is sparse, but unusual.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 7:35 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
That's not true. Tier miles can be earnt flying on partner airlines as well such as AB and VA. At least that's what the t&c state. Or has there been a recent policy change?
Be very careful of this. Let the flyer beware. Under the Earn Miles section of the website, Etihad says

As an Etihad Guest member you will earn miles every time you fly with Etihad Airways, our airline partners, visit our online shops or spend with our non-airline partners.
you can then scroll down and click on Airline Partners. You'll see FlyBe there but no indication at all that you can only redeem miles (not earn them) when you use FlyBe except in very exceptional codeshare situtations.

This caught me out last year and took it took 6 months of protracted communication with Etihad to finally get someone to apologise for the misleading info not only on their website, but from their call centre too. I had in fact called up and asked if I would earn miles on the specific FlyBe route I was going to be taking and had been told I would.

In the end, this was all baloney.

My advice would be to prepare yourself for the fact that you may earn nothing at all despite their advertising 'promises'.
sicklyman is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 8:20 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,146
Originally Posted by sicklyman View Post
Be very careful of this. Let the flyer beware. Under the Earn Miles section of the website, Etihad says



you can then scroll down and click on Airline Partners. You'll see FlyBe there but no indication at all that you can only redeem miles (not earn them) when you use FlyBe except in very exceptional codeshare situtations.

This caught me out last year and took it took 6 months of protracted communication with Etihad to finally get someone to apologise for the misleading info not only on their website, but from their call centre too. I had in fact called up and asked if I would earn miles on the specific FlyBe route I was going to be taking and had been told I would.

In the end, this was all baloney.

My advice would be to prepare yourself for the fact that you may earn nothing at all despite their advertising 'promises'.
I can confirm for the least part that earning tier miles on EY is possible if flying on VA and AB on an eligible fare.

Flybe is a codeshare partner and lists specific routes for the code share, hence the earning potential.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 8:24 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,146
For VA: http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/e...lue-Group.aspx

Flights taken on Virgin Australia are eligible to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and therefore do contribute to earning or maintaining your Etihad Guest Silver or Gold Tier.
AB: http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/e...Airberlin.aspx

Flights taken on airberlin are eligible to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and therefore contribute to earning or maintaining your Etihad Guest Tier status.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Sep 7, 14, 8:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Flybe is a codeshare partner and lists specific routes for the code share, hence the earning potential.
True. The full list of routes codeshare earning routes available HERE includes FlyBe.

However, what makes FlyBe deceptive is that unlike, say, codeshare partner BMI, FlyBe are specifically listed on the Earning Airlines partners page at http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/airline/

I have been told on the phone "sorry sir, FlyBe is only a redemption partner, not an earnings partner". That's fine. But if so, do not put it on the earnings page of your website Etihad
sicklyman is offline  
Old Sep 15, 14, 6:19 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 42
very helpful, thanks all.
Chocoholic123 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 14, 6:38 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,497
Originally Posted by sicklyman View Post
True. The full list of routes codeshare earning routes available HERE includes FlyBe.

However, what makes FlyBe deceptive is that unlike, say, codeshare partner BMI, FlyBe are specifically listed on the Earning Airlines partners page at http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/airline/
That list of codeshare partners and routes is very out of date. BMI no longer exists - it's almost 2 years since their final flight.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 14, 5:20 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 42
I wrote to Etihad to explan I was just under 400 tier miles short of achieving Gold status with the points year coming to an end this month. Asked them if they'd consider extending it as my next trip was not likely to be till December. They very graciously, as a gesture of goodwill, upgraded me to Gold. Hurrah Thank you Etihad!
Chocoholic123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: