Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad withdraws from Skytrax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why?

If EY believes they are unfairly rated, then this is both unnecessary, and also unlikely to lead to a better Skytrax rating.
It seems though that EY have delusions they are something they are not. If they want to been seen as a top tier airline they need to improve their performance. If they don't care then that's fine but no need to spit the dummy when you find out that people don't perceive you as a top performing airline.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by geminidreams
It seems though that EY have delusions they are something they are not. If they want to been seen as a top tier airline they need to improve their performance. If they don't care then that's fine but no need to spit the dummy when you find out that people don't perceive you as a top performing airline.
Agreed. No point in this big rebellion publicity schtick if they won't improve. And no, putting in an F+ product that only the 0.00001% can enjoy is not an across-the-board improvement.

EY is a good airline, to be fair. But if you're forced to rank the ME Big 3, then EY is definitely not in the top 2.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:45 am

I think it is a good decision. I have had reviews being deleted without any cause. The last one was a Virgin Australia flight which was really good (I thought) on the transcon a330 service. For a European used to 737 jets that is quite an experience. I stopped using SkyTrax as it seemed to be arbitrary and I would not be surprised if Skytrax based its ratings on what the airlines pay. Anyway, for a good opinion on an airline I head over to Flyertalk. Those are real reviews and most of the trip reports help in deciding whether or not to take that particular airline.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I've never quite understood the sychophancy over Qatar particularly when compared to say, Cathay or Singapore.

Although for self-serving sickly sweetness it's not quite as bad as this wonderful example of what I assume is nothing but freeloading, http://www.sevenstarsandstripes.com
So true, Howard. This guy is so smarmy.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
The latest in the saga: Skytrax says "you can't withdraw as customers will still post reviews of your airline" and Etihad basically says "up yours".

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...610-39uyt.html
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It seems though that EY have delusions they are something they are not. If they want to been seen as a top tier airline they need to improve their performance.
If Etihad think they are being "unfairly treated" to use your term, then there is no guarantee that improving service will improve their rating. They are being treated "unfairly", as you put it.

You may not think that they are being treated unfairly. You may think that the way for Etihad to get a Skytrax 5-star rating is for them to up their game to what EY themselves would consider a 6-star or 7-star rating. But if the system is "unfair" (as EY may or may not think - they refer only to the impartiality of Skytrax) why would that change anything?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If Etihad think they are being "unfairly treated" to use your term, then there is no guarantee that improving service will improve their rating. They are being treated "unfairly", as you put it.

You may not think that they are being treated unfairly. You may think that the way for Etihad to get a Skytrax 5-star rating is for them to up their game to what EY themselves would consider a 6-star or 7-star rating. But if the system is "unfair" (as EY may or may not think - they refer only to the impartiality of Skytrax) why would that change anything?
I haven't flown Etihad for 3 years and am in no hurry to do so again, however I flew a number of times from Almaty to Abu Dhabi in both business and economy. The standard of aircraft, service and comfort was not noticeably different to Air Astana. Abu Dhabi airport is dreadful, their business class lounge was poor. Their Frequent flyer program failed to credit a number of flights and then when I tried to book a FF award flight and cancelled they tried to cancel the points when there were no terms that it was a non cancellable flight. My experience was of at best a 3 star airline and sorry if your whole network and service isn't up to par then you have no right claiming a station in life you don't deserve. The only people they are kidding is themselves but I guess that is the attitude that prevents them getting the recognition they seem to crave.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The standard of aircraft, service and comfort was not noticeably different to Air Astana.
Then perhaps Air Astana is being unfairly treated, too. 11 of the first 20 reviews are 10/10 reviews! http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/airastana.htm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I've never quite understood the sychophancy over Qatar particularly when compared to say, Cathay or Singapore.

Although for self-serving sickly sweetness it's not quite as bad as this wonderful example of what I assume is nothing but freeloading, http://www.sevenstarsandstripes.com
Same here. In particular, QR F is a complete joke.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The user rating on Skytrax are really not what drives their rating system. Usually airlines invite skytrax to audit them, and pay Skytrax for it (plus free tickets). Skytrax gives the airlines the audit report and says what their rating currently is and what they need to fix before getting to the next star.

Usually those audits are pretty detailed and the perceptions match what FTers observe. I've read some of the comments on LH and they are right. Its up to the airlines to either fix the things to get the desired rating or ignore it and be content with not having a shiny star.

As far as the Skytrax 'World Airline Awards' are concerned they are complete and utter nonsense. Their poll base is not disclosed at all and I would fathom a guess that if you buy a lot of audits from them you get an award.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Do you have any source for this?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
I think it is a good decision. I have had reviews being deleted without any cause..
I've also had reviews not allowed on QF, BA, VS and JQ. the feedback on 3 of them was that it was too positive (VS, QF, BA) that I was a staff member - their words... funny as I couldnt be a staff member of all 3 at the same time??? so all 3 were rejected for being too positive.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond

I have had a few negative reviews rejected without explanation from SKytrax and don’t trust what I read there.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Virgin Velocity
AirlineRatings.com are good.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Hilton Silver
An unfortunate update to the subject of EY leaving Skytrax;
They have returned in a diminished form as a 'five star' recipient. We have had the program devalued, loss of chauffeur drive at outstations, downgraded food and beverages, cut outstation and AUH F lounges offerings, Piper in J, no more PJs in J, premium waters cut, and infinite monetization in the form of addons in J/Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.