Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad first timer- long layover Abu Dhabi

Etihad first timer- long layover Abu Dhabi

Old May 10, 13, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze, SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by svs-dhm View Post
Lebanese Flower is very good
^ Second that!
Old Sep 18, 17, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I have visited Abu Dhabi a couple of times, and it's certainly worth getting out the airport. As others mentioned, getting to Abu Dhabi proper is easy - I usually rent a car (very cheap there) and drive myself - driving is very easy here.

One night I had a 6 hour layover and went to the Souk at the Shangri-la - not far from the airport. I met with a friend and had dinner at some Asian place - it was good and lively.

I am at AUH airport now actually, on a six hours layover. I was planning to get out to check the new Yas Mall but unfortunately I spent two hours working and figuring out my flights out as my original flight was delayed - so I just sticked around the lounges. If you have a priority pass, the both lounges in T1 are nice and have very good food (and showers).

P.S.
- Believe it or not, I have been in AUH 3 times and I have yet to visit the Mosque Sheyk Zayed...
Old Sep 20, 17, 7:21 pm

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
I'd change my flights. 2 hours max in that place before getting out on the next plane.
Old Nov 13, 17, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by kirkpt View Post
We will be flying ord-auh-mle ,business class next year for 1st time using American Airlines points and have a few questions please.

We have a 13 hour layover in Abu Dhabi both ways and are trying to determine if we should book an outside hotel stay for these vs lounge stay or airport hotel?

VISA?
If we do book hotel stay, since this is a transit ticket, I think we need visa's to go outside airport? US citizens What is the best way to obtain? Do we get b4 we travel? If so, do we need 2 different visas - one for departure layover and one for return trip?

Being an US citizen, you need no prior visa, you will get on spot. and for sure you will get two visa for each route since one visa is valid for 72 hrs

Where to Stay close to airport:
Is Yas island best location to spend layover? We have hilton and priority points available to use.

Yas island is pretty good island to stay at, and as long you have a credit in Hilton, Why not to miss it ?!

Transportation:
Not sure if we get chauffair service - have read varying reports on this?

You could revise Etihad about that

thanks for your help.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: