Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Visa nightmare for etihad flight to abu dhabhi...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue

One of my party (going for a week for leisure) is canadian and only just now submitted a visa applic (departing this Sunday)...is there any kind of fast-track visa service, would anyone know? Have seen websites offering them, but most likely scam artists. Also, what would happen to him if he shows up at abu dhabhi airport without one?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
There are 'issues' between the UAE and Canada on visas currently, I doubt they woul dlet him on board.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
EY and EK will sponsor your Visa. See http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...portnVisa.aspx

It links to http://www.ttsuaevisas.com/ and quotes 5 working days.

The UAE is NOT a country I would risk arriving without a Visa. A Canadian national is not eligible for a visa on arrival, and they will either be denied check in, or who knows what upon arriving in the UAE. At best they would be detained pending further investigation by immigration authorities, at worst detained, possibly jailed until a flight home can be arranged.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Poster

I should add he has applied for a visa a couple hours ago, through the hotel we're staying at.

Does that mean Mohamed that the hotel couldn't send the visa to the airport? And if so...and instead he waited here (the UK) for the visa to be approved...how does he actually get it? Is it sent by email, so can just print, or is it posted?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I'm not sure but you definitely should not attempt to travel until its granted. I expect it's electronic or a document he can print and show.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:30 am
Original Poster

fair enough, cheers (tried to ask the hotel agent that question, but didn't really understand his answer).

Important to know as can evisage him being stuck at a Manchester airport hotel awaiting the visa...and he's not exactly i.t. proficient.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:00 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If your friend is travelling both IN & OUT on Etihad, then they will be able to apply with TTEUAE visa's through the link on the Etihad website.

The Ottawa office promised a turn around of 14 days, but in actuality turned it around in 2 days. This tells me that there are not a lot of Canadians applying to go to the UAE. There is no fast track service that I am aware of. Likely poor planning on his part if he's left it this late...

You will get a pdf document that you can print and take to the visa counter just before the immigration stampers at AUH. You'll get a photo taken and a stamp on your PDF, then over to the counters for entry.

If you are not both in and out on Etihad, then you need to use one of the Visa services. You should be able to get a 96 hr transit visa if you buy accommodation through them at the airport. The provider at DXB is Marbaha Services. I don't know who the provider is at AUH. Etihad will not subsidize unless you are flying both segments with them.

As a last resort, you can also get a hotel to sponsor your entry. This will involve a minimum stay and at least a $1000 deposit on your credit card. The fee is at the discretion of the hotel since there were varying rates between $1000-$1250 when I was checking. You get the refund when you email a photocopy of your exit stamp to the hotel You'll have to research this in advance as not all hotels are doing this.

Life for canadians is miserable getting into the UAE - PM me if you have any questions since I've recently researched it and travelled to the area.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks! Will likely pm you, as or if situ deepens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.