Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EY trying to rip me off

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by geminidreams
My experience with Etihad is that eventually I seem to win out but not without stubborn resistance and unneccessary agravation. I booked a reward ticket for my wife. I was unsure whether she would need to fly as she was looking at doing a course. As there was some uncertainty I was diligent about checking the fare basis which allowed for cancellation with a fee.......
Unfortunately what you experienced is symptomatic of a young airline that has grown too quickly and has been unable to ensure adequate robustness of it's processes, policies and systems, and most importantly hired the caliber of people needed who can be effective in dealing with customer issues like yours and given them thorough training. Hence, it becomes a crap shoot trying to find a knowledgable and willing employee who can resolve your issues.

I once had an issue where I was trying to change dates for a reservation for myself and family about 48 hours prior to travel due to some unavoidable reasons. The tickets were one of those highly restrictive economy fares so was well prepared to pay the change fees etc. However, calling their call center three separate times, each time it took them ages to figure out what I owed and whether a "no-show" penalty would apply for the flight I was cancelling as it was within short notice. I argued that this was absurd, anyway the last agent I spoke to said he "thought" it would not apply. Went to the airport a few days after for when I had re-booked and check-in agent correctly stated the amount I had to pay for change fee of about $800 for my family (no mention of "no-show" penalty), BUT insisted I had to pay it all in cash as his credit card machine was not working. I freaked out and asked him to call the supervisor, supervisor immediately apologized and asked to step to another desk and took my credit card payment manually.

In a nutshell, you have to press your case with them if you know you're right. But best is to try not have any changes or deviations from your travel plans as it's generally not a smooth process trying to rectify or correct them with EY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.