Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Problems with earning EY miles on partner airlines

Old Mar 6, 12, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have flown several segments on Sri Lankan Airways which is an Etihad partner. From Etihad's webpage it states:

"Please quote your Etihad Guest Number when you book with Sri Lankan Airlines and remember to present your Etihad Guest Card at check-in. To make a booking on Sri Lankan Airlines log on to www.srilankan.aero"

So, I booked several flights on Sri Lankan Airlines via their website, all in business class, and entered my Etihad Guest number when booking. All of my boarding passes have the Etihad Guess number listed.

When booking on Sri Lankans website there is a choice of economy or business class, and no choice of various booking codes.

A month passes and there have been no points posted to my Etihad account. I contacted Etihad starting back in January about it and finally today I get the following email from them:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact the Etihad Guest Service Centre with your request for missing Etihad Guest Miles to be credited to your account.

As a valued member of the Etihad Guest programme, you can earn miles when you fly as our guest on most flights. In this instance however,

UL422/CMBHKG/C

UL101/CMBMLE/C

do not qualify to earn miles.

Service class "C" is not eligible for mileage accrual in this program.

You can visit our website www.etihadguest.com where you will find our terms and conditions on earning miles when you fly with us or one of our partners. The website also allows you the flexibility to claim missing miles online as well as explore the many benefits you can enjoy as an Etihad Guest."

Hmmm... So, I go to their website, where it does claim:

" Booking Classes that qualify for accrual:
Business J, Z
Economy Y, P, W, M, B, K, H, A, O, E, R, U, Q, L, G, T, V, X"

The question, though, is why would a Z deep-discount business qualify and not a C fare?

More interestingly, following the above listing of valid booking classes, it goes on to list all of the in-valid booking classes:

" Booking classes that do not qualify for accruals: (D,N,I,S)"

So, in my mind, they just forgot to add the C fare to Business as a valid option. It makes no sense that all sorts of highly discounted Economy seats would be valid but not a C-fare business class. And, the specific listing of the invalid classes would indicate that they just forgot to list the C class somewhere.

Any thoughts on this? What would you all do, further pursue this with Etihad to get the miles posted?
Old Mar 9, 12, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Anybody? Bueller? Was my post invisible? Nobody else has run into this issue?

Last edited by whimike; Mar 9, 12 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 11, 12, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
Anybody? Bueller? Was my post invisible? Nobody else has run into this issue?
Sometime ago I retrocredited bunch of UL flights to EY, but they were all in Z. Just scanned the BP's and sent them an email.

The classes that credit to various programs don't always make sense. Obviously C should be qualifying class, but if it is not on the list you will have an uphill battle.

The only way to have these credited is probably to get hold off a partner program manager and get them to modify the qualifying UL classes for EY.
Old Apr 22, 12, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
I have had complete stonewalling by Etihad in crediting miles.

I have been trying to claim miles from a UIA flight. My flight qualified for half points. I supplied the required information on the claim form, I had quoted my ff number on my echeckin. Response was that I should supply my booking class. I replied with a copy of my eticket. Two months later I follow up to get a respose that I hadnt replied to their request for booking class. They are an airline, dont they know how to read the ticket??? So I emailed them my fare class. almost 3 months and a phone call later no miles credited. Now they just ignore any reference to this claim in any correspondence I send them.

I travelled on Malaysian who are a partner with Etihad. Tried to present my etihad card at checkin with Malaysian and was told they werent a partner. I put in a claim for 2 flights. 2.5 months later no result. No response to my phone call, 1 response that I should wait 60 days for credit. Its well over 60 days still no credit.

Etihad service for their partner rewards is non existent. 2 claims no points on valid fares. Their followup is to basically stonewall as none of there staff seem to have any capability to deal with the partner and credit the points.
Old Apr 22, 12, 8:06 pm

Programs: EY Platinum, UA PremiereG, Hilton Diamond, Aclub Gold, Hertz PCs
Hi,
same here....
unfortunately I've realized that Etihad is no different from many other Airlines.
Also written rules are sadly and differently applied from whoever receive your request ( In this case crediting Miles )
1) I flew last year on a MH flight from DPS to KUL, the flight was marked as EY too. Didn't Have the miles charged on my account so after a month I contacted the etihadguest service sending all my travel details and boarding passes. They answered that I could only earn miles ( talking about miles and not tier miles ) if my ticket was a EY ticket - e.g. starting 607, which make no sense and their website states the opposite.
2) my wife and I flew in January on VA from SYD to OOL, on an eligible booking class and my wife never received the miles. She sent them copy of Ticket and BP through the email but still waiting from the miles to be charged into the account.
Old Apr 23, 12, 1:49 pm

Programs: GF Black
Hi there. I think there is a typical condition for earning miles for Etihad and other airlines as well that the route taken is to be an agreed code shared flight with their partners. I think some are missing out that point here.
Old Apr 23, 12, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

I just happened to look at the Etihad page for earning with Sri Lankan Airways and saw this:

"Booking Classes that qualify for accrual:
Business J, Z, C

They have updated the page to include C fare code in Business class!!! Just as I suspected, they likely made an error in not including it and have now updated the webpage.

Oddly, and not surprisingly, NONE of my C fare code tickets have been given mileage credit and nobody from EY has contacted me even after several emails telling them about the missing "C" fare code, and why it makes no sense that I don't get mileage credit for a C fare when a Z fare gets it.

Anyway, I will send yet another email now, and hope it gets responded to in under 30 days.
Old Apr 24, 12, 7:12 am

Programs: GF Black
*** BREAKING NEWS ***

I just happened to look at the Etihad page for earning with Sri Lankan Airways and saw this:

"Booking Classes that qualify for accrual:
Business J, Z, C

They have updated the page to include C fare code in Business class!!! Just as I suspected, they likely made an error in not including it and have now updated the webpage.

Oddly, and not surprisingly, NONE of my C fare code tickets have been given mileage credit and nobody from EY has contacted me even after several emails telling them about the missing "C" fare code, and why it makes no sense that I don't get mileage credit for a C fare when a Z fare gets it.

Anyway, I will send yet another email now, and hope it gets responded to in under 30 days.
to protect your rights, attach to your email copies of the already exchanged emails between you and them to show that you have done your part and its theirs now.
Old Apr 24, 12, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lunardream View Post
to protect your rights, attach to your email copies of the already exchanged emails between you and them to show that you have done your part and its theirs now.
Yes, I have done exactly that.

It would be nice, however, if the people that a customer communicates with at EY are not just "sheeple", and can actually realize when something doesn't make sense and escalate it to somebody that can do some checking.
Old Apr 25, 12, 2:07 am

Yes, I have done exactly that.

It would be nice, however, if the people that a customer communicates with at EY are not just "sheeple", and can actually realize when something doesn't make sense and escalate it to somebody that can do some checking.
Do not expect that from employees of Gulf companies. In an environment with zero error tolerance employees tend to stick to the book.
Old Apr 25, 12, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
Do not expect that from employees of Gulf companies. In an environment with zero error tolerance employees tend to stick to the book.
Hence the reasons I stated "it would be nice".
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:07 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat
Anybody have problems (or success) credting Oman Air flights to EY? I have followed the retro claims process to the letter (& had my EY number on the original BPs) but so far? Nada.
Old Sep 20, 12, 6:24 am
Company Representative - Oman Air

Hi

Hi please mail us your details at [email protected] and we will forward your issue to our FFP team who will get back to you by next week. Thank you
Old Sep 20, 12, 11:35 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Gold/Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OmanAirSocialMedia View Post
Hi please mail us your details at [email protected] and we will forward your issue to our FFP team who will get back to you by next week. Thank you
Very kind - email sent - thanks for your support ^

Last edited by NoY; Sep 21, 12 at 1:22 am
Old Oct 9, 12, 7:36 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, 9WPlat, PCGold, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattExplorist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
Anybody have problems (or success) credting Oman Air flights to EY? I have followed the retro claims process to the letter (& had my EY number on the original BPs) but so far? Nada.
yes. i have had the same issue. a flight taken in June 2012. now october, no milege credit. this inspite of the fact that the number was given in the original BP as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: