Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice on flight to sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

advice on flight to sydney

My wife and young son are travelling from london to sydney on the morning flight out of london (EY12) and then the 22.00 out of abu dhabi (EY454). she is trying to plan the 2nd leg and whether to feed our son in the lounge and then sleep straight away or eat on the plane. it will still be 18.00 UK time so either is an option with a four year old but there is only 90 minutes between flights. given this is a late flight do most people go straight to sleep or will most people dine first given it is such a long flight? They are in first and would prefer to sleep when others do.

they are returning on the 2150 (EY455) and the aim therefore will be to sleep once up and then awake for the final few hours into Abu Dhabi. will others tend to do the same on this flight?

grateful for any advice from those who have travelled on these flights. many thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
This may not be much help but in my experience it will be 50:50 or perhaps 60:40 in favour of those who will eat before sleeping both ways - a lot of people feel like they are missing out if they do not chow down at every opportunity, even in F!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:45 pm

Hi PeterLON, seem to recall that your son is 4 yrs old. At that age its really, really difficult to tell you whats for the best! It a case of what is best to settle your son, and keep both your wife and son as relaxed as possible, whilst enjoying the trip.

My son was totally hyperactive at that age (but knew that no meant No). I used to 'wing' it - admittedly just many regular UK to Europe flights, but with transfers and long train journey. His energy (that needed to express itself!) was dispersed in airport lounge/concorse, causing no bother.

Of course your son may be different. But naturally he will be excited, and possibly 'over tired' my guess is that is by the time he gets to Abu Dhabi, he will want to stretch his legs big time. So perhaps asking him to sit down in lounge to eat restaurant style is a bit of an ask - they do have a childrens play room there - know its full of computer games, but what the heck, it may be a one off for him at his age, but should be fun!

Then when he boards for the run to Sydney, the novelty of a meal on board will kick in again - they do have ice-cream and hot chocolate.

Realise that this goes against all flying advice (turn your watch to arrival time, eat healthy etc), but surely the aim is to keep your son entertained and your wife relaxed.

Just my tuppence worth.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:07 am
Original Poster

thanks for both responses. very helpful.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:29 am

Best wishes to your wife and son for a relaxed and enjoyable flight
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:47 am

When I travelled with my family then my son played a lot in the parents and kids room at AUH which made him tired, so on the plane, same flight as yours, he had his meal, played with toys, watched cartoons and then slept all the way to SYD for almost 10 hours.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks 'spider'. did you notice if most of the cabin did the same and eat or did some go straight to sleep given it is a 22.00 flight out of abu dhabi?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Just spoken to my wife who has completed the first leg from London to Abu Dhabi and was on the runway, delayed, waiting for the 2nd leg to Sydney. Great flight and all went well, crew were fantastic with my son and made him feel special. Man in seat near them snored so loudly even the crew commented it was the loudest they had heard!

Many thanks for all the advice, it helped.

Cabin manager on the second flight came up to say the first crew had briefed him on what a delightful boy my son was and spent several minutes getting to know him. Only negative was two PAX grumbling behind my wife as she boarded as to why children are allowed in F. People may have these thoughts but why voice them within earshot of a young women travelling on her own with a four year old who is already nervous? Sad really that as some people get older they forget what it was like to be a child

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.