Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50000 Etihad miles expiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BAEC, Flying Blue, SPG, Priority Club, JetPrivilege, KF KingClub
50000 Etihad miles expiring

Hey, I have about 50000 Etihad miles expire at the end of this month. I won't be travelling anytime soon and was looking at the rewards site for gift cards, but there seems to be no useful ones. Does anyone know if there's a way to extend the the deadline or convert them to some other FF program, (like a OW or *A airline)?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Had the same thing and did look myself but could not find anyway to transfer so ended up getting 5 bottles of smellies
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BAEC, Flying Blue, SPG, Priority Club, JetPrivilege, KF KingClub
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Had the same thing and did look myself but could not find anyway to transfer so ended up getting 5 bottles of smellies
I'm looking at the watches, I noticed someone was saying they had to pay for customs, did they charge you anything? I live in Canada
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Ha ! Yes I was concerned as goods came from Switzerland but no charges were levied for me in the UK.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Ha ! Yes I was concerned as goods came from Switzerland but no charges were levied for me in the UK.
Thanks! Guess I'll have to take a chance, anyone else have any ideas?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I don't know where you are based but IMHO 50,000 miles [which will go to waste otherwise] can be used to pay for a trip for a friend/family member who couldn't afford it otherwise. Little cost to you and will make someone really happy!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I don't know where you are based but IMHO 50,000 miles [which will go to waste otherwise] can be used to pay for a trip for a friend/family member who couldn't afford it otherwise. Little cost to you and will make someone really happy!
True I've read that miles can be redeemed on AA also
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
flying anywhere

Where is the destination you are most likely to fly to within the coming 12 months? Once you decide on that, choose the destination and book any date. The ticket would be valid for 1 year anyway. Book any date, and change it as you like within the 1 year time period.

In my view, miles loose dramatic value if used for anything other than redemption or upgrades.

You could try posting them on a website called souq*dot*com, where there is a sizable UAE audiance which can help you offload them.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:48 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I think thats because most Postal Workers working with HMRC think Switzerland is in the EU. The OP lives in Canada which is likely to be more difficult.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
What happens if you make a booking for the future and then if you don't need it you cancel it? I.e. If you made a booking for March and then cancelled it in March.. Would you get the miles back?

Book a one-way F LHR-AUH (55k) sometime in the next year and change the dates of you have to.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
What happens if you make a booking for the future and then if you don't need it you cancel it? I.e. If you made a booking for March and then cancelled it in March.. Would you get the miles back?

Book a one-way F LHR-AUH (55k) sometime in the next year and change the dates of you have to.

I ordered a watch which is valued at 400 dollars, will notify you guys if I get hit with any excise taxes.

Crossing my fingers. ^

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by baflyer92
I ordered a watch which is valued at 400 dollars, will notify you guys if I get hit with any excise taxes.

Crossing my fingers. ^

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!
I'm in the same situation too with around 50000 miles expiring. I reside in Canada and planning to redeem for a gift. Did you receive your watch? Was there any excise tax? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.