FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   EY Joining any Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1285730-ey-joining-any-alliance.html)

vishazz Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am

EY Joining any Alliance

I am sure this has been discussed before, but couldnt find it so here we go again.

Any idea if EY is joining Star Alliance or One World or Sky Team.

Any news would be great.

Cheers,

Vishazz

N830MH Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm

I do doubtful if EY will ever considering to joining OW or SkyTeam. I think EY who likely to join Skyteam and it's right choice for me. I wasn't sure if there is chance to joining Oneworld or SkyTeam. Nobody who will made a decide.

m0hamed Nov 29, 2011 9:31 pm

EY have had a relationship with QF, terminated for VA instead, and now a relationship with AA. It is doubtful they would join OW with RJ already the Middle Eastern carrier. It's a shame, though.

SighMN Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 17538133)
EY have had a relationship with QF, terminated for VA instead, and now a relationship with AA. It is doubtful they would join OW with RJ already the Middle Eastern carrier. It's a shame, though.

RJ is more of a regional airline in the middle east much like a lot of those smaller European carriers are for some alliances. I think there would be plenty of room for Etihad to join OW. I think OW would be the best fit, but as Middle Eastern airlines have the ball in their court I think Etihad may wait till Emirates feels they have to join an alliance to stay competive and then join an opposing alliance.

vishazz Nov 29, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't see Emirates joining any alliance anytime soon, if ever.
If it does join, it is too big an airline and competes with too many players to join StarAlliance.
Hence will prob go with OW or ST.

If that is the case, EY will prob go with StarAlliance.

I was wondering if there were any rumors about EY thinking of joining anything.

N830MH Nov 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by vishazz (Post 17538500)

No, EK is not going considering to join any alliance in a distant the future.

jetche2004 Nov 29, 2011 11:59 pm

I do not think EY would join any alliance.

All the 3 big middle-eastern airlines - EY, EK and QR focus on transit traffic, competing with European and Asian carriers. Thus I think they add very little value to an alliance. There are very few destinations that are covered by these 3 airlines and not covered by any of the 3 major alliances.

If at all they do join, considering the relationship they have with AA, MH, I'd say oneworld is a good bet.

31dany Nov 30, 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by vishazz (Post 17538500)
If it does join, it is too big an airline and competes with too many players to join StarAlliance.
Hence will prob go with OW or ST.

If that is the case, EY will prob go with StarAlliance.

I was wondering if there were any rumors about EY thinking of joining anything.

I see the issue kinda in the same way. I think EY could join *A way before any decision is made by EK.

irishguy28 Nov 30, 2011 2:05 am

Seeing as EY is currently pursuing a strategy of taking stakes in other European and Asian carriers, I think they are still a long, long way from even considering joining an alliance.

There may come a time when EY can no longer grow organically, and it may then become an issue for them. But right now, the costs of joining an alliance would far outweigh the benefits for EY. Any of the alliances would be glad to have EY, but it's not yet the right time for EY to join one.

NA-Flyer Nov 30, 2011 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jetche2004 (Post 17538624)
I do not think EY would join any alliance.

All the 3 big middle-eastern airlines - EY, EK and QR focus on transit traffic, competing with European and Asian carriers. Thus I think they add very little value to an alliance. There are very few destinations that are covered by these 3 airlines and not covered by any of the 3 major alliances.

If at all they do join, considering the relationship they have with AA, MH, I'd say oneworld is a good bet.

I agree completely with above argument ^

pogonation Nov 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by jetche2004 (Post 17538624)

What about *A considering the relationship with NH, TK, NZ, TP, SN, BD

jetche2004 Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation (Post 17542656)
What about *A considering the relationship with NH, TK, NZ, TP, SN, BD

True! The reason I did not mention *A was that I feel QR has a much better relationship with LH and UA, 2 of the major star players, though the partnership with LH ends soon. If at all one of these 3 were to join an alliance (very unlikely though), I feel QR might lean towards Star.

Another point to note is EY has a great partnership with VA, which is non-aligned, even after years of existence. Who knows, they might end up forming a 4th global alliance to compete against the major 3.

domerdeb Dec 1, 2011 1:58 pm

Alliances aside, you can redeem AA miles on Etihad (assuming this week's developments don't change that.)

irishguy28 Mar 5, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Bloomberg
Entry into one of the three global airline groupings is also unlikely, mainly because of concerns among older operators about the challenge presented by Middle East hubs, Hogan said.

“You never say never, but usually in each of the alliances there is somebody who is terrified of Gulf carriers,” he said.