Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Environmentally Friendly Travel
Reload this Page >

Is sustainable travel achievable? Do you think about it? What does it mean to you?

Is sustainable travel achievable? Do you think about it? What does it mean to you?

Old May 27, 22, 11:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite

What is environmentally friendly or sustainable travel to you? Is it an oxymoron?

It seems to take in many things - overtourism, exploiting animals, preserving cultures, carbon emissions, depleting local water supplies, and more.

Do you think about it when you travel? Have you made any changes? Or do you find it all just background noise that doesnt really matter? Can individuals have an impact or is it just virtue signaling?

Curious to read thoughts and get some discussion going.

Last edited by l etoile; May 27, 22 at 11:50 am
Old May 31, 22, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K, 1M miler; Alaska Silver
Yes, I think about all of these issues when traveling (and when not traveling). I'd love to hear from other folks about trustworthy carbon offsets for air travel. How good are the ones offered by the airlines themselves? Are there offsets that are actually effective in the long run?
l etoile and Redhead like this.
Old May 31, 22, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by tdietterich View Post
Yes, I think about all of these issues when traveling (and when not traveling). I'd love to hear from other folks about trustworthy carbon offsets for air travel. How good are the ones offered by the airlines themselves? Are there offsets that are actually effective in the long run?
If you pollute, you are polluting. There is no way to get the genie back into the bottle. Some offsets may make you feel better but until there is a CO2 depleting and O2 making machine that is practical, it is just a game.

The bottom line is to travel only when necessary or when very important. Mileage runs for points and miles is wasteful and bad.
hugolover, Redhead and l etoile like this.
Old May 31, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
None of these issues, if they exist (which some of them don't), are unique to travel. People should be conscious about preserving the environment in whatever they do.
Connie In MT likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaska miles; Avis preferred
shift of perspective

I think one thing the Pandemic taught us is that a lot of this "essential" travel is hogwash. We were able to manage these meetings via zoom and other platforms without too much trouble. After the initial learning curve, things seemed to go pretty smoothly. I am wondering why my company and others are going back to the "old ways" of doing things now that Covid doesn't seem to be much of a threat. Maybe they can't stand the feeling of control they lost during the past two years, or maybe they have a stake in the oil industry.
In my area, people who commute for work think nothing of a 90-minute drive. Most of it within a 20-mile radius. Inching along at 3 miles an hour does much more harm to the environment than firing up the computer for a two-hour meeting via the internet.
hugolover and l etoile like this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 2:36 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think that travel, as a whole, is inherently harmful to the environment. But so are many other things, some of which are essential, like agriculture.

I'm no saint, and I'm not going to give up traveling to save the environment. But I do try to do what I can. I took a bus from LA to San Diego last month rather than driving myself, for example.

I think the main impact that individuals can have is to set an example. Me taking the bus instead of driving may not do much, but it does support the bus company which will hopefully improve service to meet higher demand, which will in turn encourage more people to use it.
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Silver
I've cut my business travel significantly and will not travel for work unless absolutely necessary or I am required by the exec team.

For personal travel, I do still travel but not as much as I used to. We are doing more nearby travel like hiking in the mountains. I drive a hybrid and practice gas-saving driving techniques - not perfect but I try
l etoile and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 16, 22, 11:06 pm

Programs: HHDiamond, Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I recycle everything that I can. I even keep a bag in the car for recycling on road trips and save it either until I get home or find a place to recycle it. We started using water bottles that we refill at water stations.

I have a hard time watching the hotel waste during breakfast service. The disposable plates, silverware, etc is hard to stomach. But I have learned to do my best with the things I can control.

Search this Thread