Reload this Page >

NYTimes’ annual 52 places to go is on environmentally travel this year

Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:00 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

I always look forward to this list and this year it’s devoted to places “where visitors can be part of the solution to problems like overtourism and climate change.“The travel industry is responsible for somewhere between 8 and 11 percent of total greenhouse gas emissions …

“There is also the problem of overtourism, which has been held in check by the pandemic, but threatens to reassert itself when the world once again starts to move….

”…travel can also be part of the solution, and not only on climate. Travel supports depleted economies in places that depend on tourists’ dollars and opens the eyes of travelers to cultures and customs different from their own. That thought is the animating spirit behind this year’s list, “52 Places for a Changed World.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/10/t...ind-of-52.html

For those without a subscription it list places such as:
- Chioggia, Italy as an alternative to overtouristed Venice. It too is built on lagoons.
- Iberá Park, Argentina which has become a 2-million-acre animal sanctuary and wild park funded by tourist money.
- Hoonah, Alaska, once dependent on fishing and logging, it now relies on cruise tourism, not just for its livelihood but also for its cultural continuity. Tourists are credited with helping save native language and art.

It’s an interesting list of many places I was unfamiliar with. I recommend checking it out.

Would you consider visiting a more environmentally friendly destination for a holiday?
SanDiego1K and dgreen12 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.