Search

FRAPORT & climate responsibility

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
FRAPORT & climate responsibility

Arrived at FRA, scheduled to have a Z gate arrival, non Schengen, we actually arrived at an A gate, so had to deplane from the rear & passengers were bussed to the terminal, in a Huge Cobus, all 10 of them
For me, being HON they sent a separate Mercedes Van.

Not the first time this stupidity happened at FRA & this is happening while COP26 is ongoing......

Lufthansa bang on about climate issues but are complicit in this ......

I opened this thread to name & shame, please post your FRAPORT climate experiences, the good 🤞 & the bad 🤬
hugolover and MichielR like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd like to point out, the only climate responsible flying is NO flying. There's no such thing as carbon neutral air travel.

11 pax on a what? The smallest aircraft in LH fleet is a CR9. That itself is far more of an issue than the bus. That's the real carbon crime, LH flying empty aircraft. Divide the deadly carbon emissions by 11 and the ICAO carbon calculator is an utter joke.

It's been pointed out that Fraport are ignoring this terrible pandemic, which is far from over. Perhaps Fraport were respecting 1.5m-2m distance this time due to your many missives sent to Captain Carsten ?
mrpolla likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Similar recent experience here.

Was in an airplane burning through the ozone layer and FRAPORT let the polluting machine actually land and then take-off again on it’s property.

But wait there is more: Instead of stopping at the far end of the platform the airplane burnt more kerosene to taxi all the way to the terminal.

Such waste…
ewoo and mrpolla like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
I'd like to point out, the only climate responsible flying is NO flying. There's no such thing as carbon neutral air travel.

11 pax on a what? The smallest aircraft in LH fleet is a CR9. That itself is far more of an issue than the bus. That's the real carbon crime, LH flying empty aircraft. Divide the deadly carbon emissions by 11 and the ICAO carbon calculator is an utter joke.

It's been pointed out that Fraport are ignoring this terrible pandemic, which is far from over. Perhaps Fraport were respecting 1.5m-2m distance this time due to your many missives sent to Captain Carsten ?
I have yet to find an alternative to flying & you don’t seem to have either ? For things we need to do

It was an E190 & they had a whopping 25 pax inbound on the previous flight......

Social distancing was fantastic, as much space as flying Private, not sure Carsten organised that just for Moi
MichielR likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
Similar recent experience here.

Was in an airplane burning through the ozone layer and FRAPORT let the polluting machine actually land and then take-off again on it’s property.

But wait there is more: Instead of stopping at the far end of the platform the airplane burnt more kerosene to taxi all the way to the terminal.

Such waste…
Yes, but FRAPORT enjoyed the fees 💰
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Protectionism should be written into the German constitution, so who knows what LH really pay Fraport…
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ TPPS, QR PLAT, EK SILVER, VN TITANIUM, HHilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chris63
I have yet to find an alternative to flying & you don’t seem to have either ? For things we need to do
well some people call the alternative Zoom or MS Teams or train lol

But seriously I am HON too and I am aware of the negative impact of flying. but complaining about parking the aircraft at the wrong gate is crazy - i guess all parking positions were already utilized and I am also not sure whether the Z gates are capable to handle an E190. But let an E190 taxi for 10-30 minutes just to not pick up passengers by bus is definitely not better for the environment.

One can discuss whether E-Bus are better, the Porsche Cayenne are all Hybrid and at least the distance from terminal to aircraft they could do electric (although the question remains whether a coal power plant generates the electricity for that cars given that coal power plants still play major role in Germany) - but operational things such as where to park the aircraft have a lot of more considerations than just burning less than 1l of fuel for a bus;
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roc83
well some people call the alternative Zoom or MS Teams or train lol

But seriously I am HON too and I am aware of the negative impact of flying. but complaining about parking the aircraft at the wrong gate is crazy - i guess all parking positions were already utilized and I am also not sure whether the Z gates are capable to handle an E190. But let an E190 taxi for 10-30 minutes just to not pick up passengers by bus is definitely not better for the environment.

One can discuss whether E-Bus are better, the Porsche Cayenne are all Hybrid and at least the distance from terminal to aircraft they could do electric (although the question remains whether a coal power plant generates the electricity for that cars given that coal power plants still play major role in Germany) - but operational things such as where to park the aircraft have a lot of more considerations than just burning less than 1l of fuel for a bus;
Yes, I know how to use Zoom

This particular E190 landed at one end of the main runway & taxied all the way to the other & then back to A gates, it was A7, as supposed to be Z13 & in my experience they are fine for E190, we simply arrived there because the next departure was to Schengen, so no apparent thought for the inbound pax or the environment. Other gates we’re unoccupied at the time.

I’m not sure how far a Cobus goes on 1litre of fuel but I suspect it’s not far ....
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by chris63
I’m not sure how far a Cobus goes on 1litre of fuel but I suspect it’s not far ....
With the internet, it's so easy:

the diesel engine of the regular COBUS is particularly eco-friendly and efficient with only 4-5 litres of fuel per operating hour required.
https://www.prlog.org/10433952-cobus...aeroplane.html

So for an extra 1L of fuel you might get an extra 15 minutes of driving around the terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.