Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What percentage of Skywards Accounts are Golds?

Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: pants

Ok this question is a moot point on FT, as almost everyone here is Gold. But does someone have the scoop on what percentage are Gold, Silver etc?

Gold over 100k: ____________ %
Gold under 100k: ____________ %
Silver: ____________ %

Everywhere time am on an EK flight I see dozens of people with the Gold Tags on their bags.Are those expired tags, or is it time for EK to launch platinum?
Haven't been able to get in to the T3 lounge in months now because its always packed. End up in the old lounge. Either J is packed on every flight ( which seatcounter proves is not the case ) or there are far too many golds.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
We discussed this issue last year when a number of us heard Platinum was coming, and each date we heard came and went.

There are way too many golds-- being based in Dubai it doesnt take long to get 50K, and Silver 25K can be done for some with 1 return to Oz or North America (in F) or twice in economy.- or a Europe to OZ in J. (I may be proven wrong on these but quick in th ehead calculations )

On the Platinum issue my source about a plat tier was a top VP - who has since retired, who said in January it was in the works. I have given up trying to give all my business to EK in the thought Platinum may come. Last year was 140K tier miles and this year I am at 57K and prob wont make 100K but could of had same or more as last year but have given business elsewhere- if we had had confirmation of it though it would have gone EKs way-- I am sure there are a few others here that would have done same!

If I had to guess the %

GOld over 100K 1%
Gold under 100K 3%
Silver 5%

With the ease EK makes it to sign up-- on the plane and "start earning with this flight" there must be alot of memeber-- so maybe these % are still way too high
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The 50k threshold for Gold always amazed me. EK is essentially a long-haul airline. 50k is a nothing. Top tier should be 100k, if not 125k.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by justforfun
The 50k threshold for Gold always amazed me. EK is essentially a long-haul airline. 50k is a nothing. Top tier should be 100k, if not 125k.
Agreed OR to introduce a Platinum level (or however you call it) above Gold.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun
With respect, EK has a thriving short-haul business and getting Gold flying S/H is challenging, to say the least (if I make it this year, it'll be through sectors and not miles).
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: pants
Originally Posted by typical
With respect, EK has a thriving short-haul business and getting Gold flying S/H is challenging, to say the least (if I make it this year, it'll be through sectors and not miles).
Thats true, but in my experience its next to impossible to get tickets from DXB to MCT / RUH / JED / DMM / BAH on EK. I fly to MCT twice a month, this year, have never flown EK metal or EK Codeshare. Partly because EK sells out real fast and is always priced higher than WY. And thanks to the recession, work always buys WY because its cheaper. Not sure what I can do with status on Sindbad/WY... but heh if status means that they give me a better sandwich on the DXB<>MCT WY flight... I will be ecstatic!

[For anyone who has not had the pleasure of eating that sandwich :: Its 50% recycled paper 50% animal feed, dry chicken or tuna canned in 1966, juicebox, and a snickers/mars bar ]

EKs short haul business in the GCC/Levant is a captive market for them. They usually put ratty old equipment on these routes ( AFAIK ) while the shiny new planes are on the lucrative long haul sectors where they compete head on with other large carriers. IMHO the service on RJ in J is better than EK... and before someone flames me for making that statement.... RJ after joining OneWorld is not the same RJ of yesteryear , could it be better, yes.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I'm SV Gold for a reason

I have found it easier to get onto EK for the flights I take, recently (generally RUH/JED/DMM/KWI), with the difference in cost being nominal over SV. This booking 1-2 weeks in advance. I've already hit EK Silver through number of sectors.

Yes, EK's S/H is pretty much a captive market, but I don't think I've ever been on an EK S/H that hasn't been at least almost full. And yes, the planes generally suck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.