Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How to complain to Emirates/Skywards

How to complain to Emirates/Skywards

Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by red duster
If as reported EK do monitor this site, I hope someone will report back to senior management that they should pay heed to EC regulations that apply to the countries they fly from instead of forcing customers to have to take legal action.
If i was ek I'd do the same. The regulations are punitive and I'd make people work for it rather than giving cash out on a plate (then again it is my job to protect a company from legal risk). That said they could be a little more forthcoming with sensible offers ie upgrades or mileage to compensate for downgrades. You could argue that this impacts ek's reputation but whilst they have a great j and f product and planes are going out full it's doubtful they'll be bothered about a few dissenters on here...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NOIR
When I had my issue with Skywards there were two out comes, the mods giving EK personal information on forum users which I doubt. The other was a EK media team that tracks everything on the net related to EK.

If they do have a social media team then it's a great way to get feed back, opinions, and basically the mind set of people posting on the net.

Why they don't take part, well what's to say they don't? Do you really know who is who on the forum?
Originally Posted by m3red
This place is monitored by ek. I know this because I know someone who does it!
Let me clarify a couple of things. First of all, be completely assured that neither Zol or I reveal any personal details on any FT member to EK. They'd have more information on you than we would anyway. FT guidelines are crystal clear when it comes to privacy and data protection.

Also understand that yes, there is a social media team at EK who monitors "social media", with FT being a part of that ecosystem. A tiny part. Zol and I have met this team briefly. We have zero influence on what they do or how they interact with FT - and we have tried to engage them, more than once.

My personal opinion (and it is just that) is that EK are not really sure how to deal with or manage FT. While we think our little fishpond is important, in the overall scheme of things - we are not really representative of their target market. We're a niche subset. Yes, an important one when it comes to rapid feedback - but if EK's strategy is still the same as it was a year or so ago - EK's whole mission in life is to provide air travel to the entire Indian subcontinent. 70% of their income is generated from the Y cabin. No other airline I know overbooks Y as much as EK does.

Frequent flyers are simply a thorn in the side of the airlines grander plans. According to some on here who are in the know, the program is going to get tougher...not easier. But then again, so are most other airline loyalty programs.

Look at the devaluation of BA, of QF, of the major US carriers etc. The landscape is changing. Get used to it.

I still like EK. I like the fleet, I like the fact that they have the ability to invest in a solid ground experience, and have the best technology onboard. Their F cabin and experience is right up there. Not consistent - but still excellent on most days.

I'd love EK to engage with us - and believe me, Zol and I have tried. But dont hold your breath for an official EK lurker to be appointed anytime soon.

And yes, there are a handful of staff who post here. Anonymously. And it will remain that way
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
Let me clarify a couple of things. First of all, be completely assured that neither Zol or I reveal any personal details on any FT member to EK. They'd have more information on you than we would anyway. FT guidelines are crystal clear when it comes to privacy and data protection.

Also understand that yes, there is a social media team at EK who monitors "social media", with FT being a part of that ecosystem. A tiny part. Zol and I have met this team briefly. We have zero influence on what they do or how they interact with FT - and we have tried to engage them, more than once.

My personal opinion (and it is just that) is that EK are not really sure how to deal with or manage FT. While we think our little fishpond is important, in the overall scheme of things - we are not really representative of their target market. We're a niche subset. Yes, an important one when it comes to rapid feedback - but if EK's strategy is still the same as it was a year or so ago - EK's whole mission in life is to provide air travel to the entire Indian subcontinent. 70% of their income is generated from the Y cabin. No other airline I know overbooks Y as much as EK does.

Frequent flyers are simply a thorn in the side of the airlines grander plans. According to some on here who are in the know, the program is going to get tougher...not easier. But then again, so are most other airline loyalty programs.

Look at the devaluation of BA, of QF, of the major US carriers etc. The landscape is changing. Get used to it.

I still like EK. I like the fleet, I like the fact that they have the ability to invest in a solid ground experience, and have the best technology onboard. Their F cabin and experience is right up there. Not consistent - but still excellent on most days.

I'd love EK to engage with us - and believe me, Zol and I have tried. But dont hold your breath for an official EK lurker to be appointed anytime soon.

And yes, there are a handful of staff who post here. Anonymously. And it will remain that way
I agree 100% with this.

I do think that they should look after the ft people a little more but as 8b says we are a tiny fragment of a large machine. A little bit would go a long way and although in my personal opinion it's somewhat shortsighted we have to accept and get used to it. You pay to get from a to b in a certain class and there are expectations with each one - on the whole ek is pretty consistent and better than most. The rest is a bonus including the ff program and expect further changes that will be perceived as devaluations but consistent with the rest of the market...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by m3red
The regulations are punitive and I'd make people work for it rather than giving cash out on a plate . . .
EK are not getting punished as these costs are part of operating an airline, and will be built into the ticket price.

EK are punishing affected pasengers by hanging on to the money they have collected specifically to pay compensation with.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
EK are not getting punished as these costs are part of operating an airline, and will be built into the ticket price.

EK are punishing affected pasengers by hanging on to the money they have collected specifically to pay compensation with.
I so agree ^
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:31 am

Thanks for confirming what I already thought eightblack, you and zol are stand up guys.^
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:29 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NOIR
Thanks for confirming what I already thought eightblack, you and zol are stand up guys.^
Well I know Zol certainly is. Me, thats open for debate, and you might change your mind after you've seen us at the Park Hyatt Brunch on a Friday
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
Well I know Zol certainly is. Me, thats open for debate, and you might change your mind after you've seen us at the Park Hyatt Brunch on a Friday
Need to mix it up a bit and try the westin
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:57 am

Here is my complaint:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Emirates Airlines in recent years has been known for it's ground breaking levels of comfort and exceptional customer service. A pioneer in re-defining luxury travel and a game changer in the aviation industry.

It is for this reason I regrettably wish to inform you about my surprisingly appalling service at Dubai airport during the early hours of the 26th of December 2014 at the Emirates First & Business class terminal.

I was confirmed to fly on EK510 at 04:30AM (26th Dec 2014). Unfortunately I over slept and was extremely late to arrive at the airport.
Knowing that I had missed my flight, I entered the airport at 04.30AM (approx) and proceeded to the check in counter (No. 33) where I was told the next flight was at 6 AM and I must go to the ticketing desk to pay a penalty fees. With no hesitation I walked over and was greeted warmly by the lady behind the desk (Shamia).

She was kind enough to issue my ticket for the next flight after charging me a certain fees. (Not sure how much as it was irrelevant and clearly my fault). Unfortunately, her printer was not working and she asked me to proceed to the check in counter since there was not much time. I walked back to the check in counters to find only two counters open (No. 33 & 37) with long ques at both. There was also a counter open at the beginning which read 'Online bag drop'.

The lines were 5 passengers deep at both counter No. 33 & 37. I stood at counter No. 33 and waited my turn. When I was served I was told that the flight had closed and was pointed to a service counter opposite. At the service counter I was told that I could be put on the next flight and that I should visit the sales counter. When I reached the sales counter I was asked to pay again. I refused, and explained I had just paid 10 minutes back to be put on EK8512. The lady explained that she was helpless.

I went back to service counter where the lady told me that it was my fault I missed the flight and will have to pay again. At this point I protested and explained I should not have been put on the EK8512 if it was so tight that I missed my flight walking 50 meters between the desks. She told me 'sorry, nothing we can do for you'. I asked for the Duty officer. They refused and kept me waiting around for 10-15 minutes. When I protested, I was then introduced to Ms. Hanne (Duty service Officer).

She was extremely cold and insisted that there were 7 counters open and it was only a matter of a few minutes during change of shift that the 7 counters were not in service. I explained to her that I had been there for some time and this was not the case. Only counter No. 35 was starting up and had not started service till after my problem. I also told Ms. Hanne that this could be clearly seen on cctv should she wish to check. She told me to go file a police complaint and check the cctv myself.

As I walked back to sales, the lady there told me that she was surprised at this behaviour and told me that I must see a duty manager and not Hanne. She was very nice and introduced herself as 'Shamia'. I went back to the service counter, where I was received with negativity again. I was told that nothing could be done. I refused, and insisted on speaking to the duty manager.

After 1.5 Hours and a lot of humiliation I was finally introduced to Mr. Mustal Ghazi. I explained to him what happened. After listening to me, he explained that the situation was above his juristriction and that I must pay now and complain later since its a Friday and all departments were closed.

At this point I gave up hope for what I believe should have been fair and decided to not fly with Emirates that morning.

I would like to request that this matter be looked into as I am a frequent flyer with Emirates Business and do not believe this is the standard of service Emirates believes in.

I look forward to hear back from you.

Kind regards

Last edited by eightblack; Dec 26, 2014 at 4:05 am Reason: Content posted twice. Cleaned up formatting to make it easier to read
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:16 am

Angry Extremely POOR customer service and baggage handling

I am a silver member and have been flying with Emirates for less than 2 years. I will be gold in a month.
I had an emergency trip home from Kabul Afghanistan to Washington DC, USA on 27 Jan 2016 and retuned 2 Feb 2016. In the US and on my return flight to Kabul my bag was delayed for an unknown reason. 1 day going to the US and 2 days returning to Kabul.
Dec 17 2016 I flew home for leave. My bag was delayed by one day in the US.
Aug 29 2016 I flew from Washington DC USA to Kabul Afghanistan and my bag was left at JFK NY US airport for 4 days. I had food in the bag that spoiled and when my bag was "inventoried" by an Emirates employee the person decided that they liked several items in my bag and took them.
There have been other issues but I really would love to find a way to make a complaint and get a response (doesn't happen-if you can find a way to complain) and get resolution.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by RobertBFarley
I am a silver member and have been flying with Emirates for less than 2 years. I will be gold in a month.
I had an emergency trip home from Kabul Afghanistan to Washington DC, USA on 27 Jan 2016 and retuned 2 Feb 2016. In the US and on my return flight to Kabul my bag was delayed for an unknown reason. 1 day going to the US and 2 days returning to Kabul.
Aug 29 2016 I flew from Washington DC USA to Kabul Afghanistan and my bag was left at JFK NY US airport for 4 days. I had food in the bag that spoiled and when my bag was "inventoried" by an Emirates employee the person decided that they liked several items in my bag and took them.
There have been other issues but I really would love to find a way to make a complaint and get a response (doesn't happen-if you can find a way to complain) and get resolution.
We are sorry to hear the mishaps RobertBFarley. Delayed baggage is always a stressful experience.
As I can understand, you had issues with your luggage 4 times : 27JAN16, 02FEB2016, 17DEC15 (?), 29AUG15 (?). You don't say it, but you probably filed a case and got some compensation each time. And now, you want to tell customer service center that "enough is enough". Correct ?

EK is not very well known for its customer after-service, but you can give it a try by writing through the website ("contact"). You'll probably get a standard reply, and if lucky, some miles.
This said, your deep wish is probably to enhance the service as you seem to fly IAD-KBL often. On this side, well, they may move if there are many complains. If you are Gold, your complain will be taken more seriously.
Basically, don't expect too much from EK.

As a final remark, don't say "was 'inventoried' by an Emirates employee" unless you have hard proof. Many personnel work in a airport. Your checked luggage don't only go through EK employees' hands.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
We are sorry to hear the mishaps RobertBFarley. Delayed baggage is always a stressful experience.
As I can understand, you had issues with your luggage 4 times : 27JAN16, 02FEB2016, 17DEC15 (?), 29AUG15 (?). You don't say it, but you probably filed a case and got some compensation each time. And now, you want to tell customer service center that "enough is enough". Correct ?

EK is not very well known for its customer after-service, but you can give it a try by writing through the website ("contact"). You'll probably get a standard reply, and if lucky, some miles.
This said, your deep wish is probably to enhance the service as you seem to fly IAD-KBL often. On this side, well, they may move if there are many complains. If you are Gold, your complain will be taken more seriously.
Basically, don't expect too much from EK.

As a final remark, don't say "was 'inventoried' by an Emirates employee" unless you have hard proof. Many personnel work in a airport. Your checked luggage don't only go through EK employees' hands.
In fact, I'd say that ex-USA, baggage never goes through an EK employee hands at all - it's entirely outsourced. Definitely write into EK about that so they can forward that on to the appropriate station manager who can follow up with their contractors.

On another note...Going IAD-KBL, why was the luggage even in JFK?! How did it get there? Perhaps TSA sent it on for additional screening, or the OP is marked!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: EK, BA, AF
Originally Posted by RobertBFarley
On a recent flight to Africa in Biz I had some inflight services issues (TV not working, filthy seat, meal choice not available). I reported it to the cabin manager first and then posted my complaint on EK FB page and was immediately contacted by customer services. I had to fill the online form but have received compensation (30K miles) within 48 hours.

Considering my experience with others (BA) i was pretty happy with the resolution.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:48 pm

While I can't really comment on the productive quality or efficacy of reaching out through social media, I have received very TIMELY responses to customer service social media accounts on Twitter - Emirates, included!

They didn't have the answer that I needed (or wanted) but they responded quickly and let me know who should.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.