FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   EK201 to DL at JFK in 1 hour 20 minutes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/947835-ek201-dl-jfk-1-hour-20-minutes.html)

chuck1 Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm

EK201 to DL at JFK in 1 hour 20 minutes?

I see EK201 DXB-JFK typically runs a bit late.

Assuming no significant delays, can a USA citizen in first class with carry-on only make it from arrival Terminal 4 (scheduled landing 2:15pm) to Delta Terminal 3 for a 3:35pm departure to Washington?

My DL ticket is on another locator so I can do on-line check-in with Delta before departing DXB.

FlyEK Apr 27, 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 11649314)
I see EK201 DXB-JFK typically runs a bit late.

Assuming no significant delays, can a USA citizen in first class with carry-on only make it from arrival Terminal 4 (scheduled landing 2:15pm) to Delta Terminal 3 for a 3:35pm departure to Washington?

Well my record on a JFK, EK to DL connection was achieved last month when I landed at 9am (delayed 203) and made a 1020am departure on DL.

However, that is a record and I think the only reason why it worked was that there was no line at immigration. Had there been a longer line then it would be a problem.

I also had no checked luggage. So I was able to go directly to the SkyTrain. The train between the terminals runs counter-clockwise which is no good going from Term 4 to 3, since you have to pass thru Term 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, and 2 before it drops you off at 3. I'm not sure if walking would be quicker, but it was too cold for that anyway.

So yes, it it possible to make the connection you asked about, but you'll need some luck to do it.

sadiqhassan Apr 30, 2009 10:17 am

AFAIK DL has same day standby right? If not, I would be very uncomfortable with that connection. Even if EK arrives on time it'll be tough

Cheers,

BearX220 Apr 30, 2009 11:37 am

Unless the weather is terrible I would certainly walk rather than wait for the SkyTrain going the long and wrong (anti-clockwise) direction.

jesus4jets Apr 30, 2009 1:48 pm

FYI - the skytrain at JFK runs in opposite directions for the "local" terminal loop and the trains going to NYC Subway stops (howard beach/Jamaica). "Subway" trains increase in terminal number (1,2 3 4 etc) and the local trains decrease (8,7...)

Simply take a howard beach/jamaica train and get off on the next stop. These trains run frequently especially during the day and it will take less than 5 minutes for a train to arrive and 1-2 minutes for the train ride. There is no cost or any difference whatsoever as long as you don't stay on the train past terminal 8.

there was one time in my experience when the local/subway trains were running in the same direction (both going 1,2, 3...etc) - last may due to construction of the jetblue terminal. Barring this possibility as a special occasion, this will save 10-15 minutes.

FlyEK May 2, 2009 11:43 pm

Jamaica-Howard Beach

Thanks for the tip.
I'm gonna use that this month instead of the "All Terminals" Train.

kennedytower May 6, 2009 8:18 am

I would NOT take the Howard Beach or Jamaica train from T4 to T3. If the trains are running like they should the All Terminal train goes from T4 to T2/T3. The Howard Beach/Jamaica Train goes from T4 to T5/6-T7-T8-Federal Circle. Yes, sometimes all the trains run in the same direction but that is normally during the mornings for scheduled work and normal service is restored for the afternoon rush.

If you already have your connecting Boarding Pass for Delta the best way would be to stay in Terminal 4 go to the B Gates, Clear Security, Go to B23 and take the airside shuttle to Delta.

chuck1 May 6, 2009 8:50 am

Great advice.

Thanks.