Is Emirates worth an extra leg?

Old Mar 24, 09, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Is Emirates worth an extra leg?

I am flying MAA-LAX and have a few options -

1. MAA-DXB-JFK on Emirates (A380); JFK-LAX on AA
2. MAA-FRA-LAX on Lufthansa (BA ends up being more expensive and so harder to convince my travel department)
3. MAA- BRU-JFK on Jet; JFK-LAX on AA

All flights would be on J..Emirates DXB-LAX is unfortunately sold out on J. This is for Mar 29 (Sunday). Is the extra leg from JFK-LAX worth the trip just to travel on Emirates or Jet (does the flat bed/service make a huge difference)?

Would like to get perspectives from folks who have traveled on one or more of these carriers. Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 09, 4:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
There is a non-stop from DXB to SFO on the 30th which is available in J if you can travel a day later. For a long flight it is nice to be on EK and it is easy to clear customs in SFO--nicer than in LAX--and then you just have a 50 minute ride to LAX or SNA if you are in OC.
Old Mar 24, 09, 4:21 pm

The A380 is nice but imo not worth the extra leg especially the transcon on AA would bother me.

I would take LH, the seats are a bit less comfortable than on EK but the service is better. The main advantage would be the schedule with a 2 hour stop-over in FRA.
You could also try to get an UA SWU and upgrade to F.
Old Mar 25, 09, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for reminding me!!!

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
There is a non-stop from DXB to SFO on the 30th which is available in J if you can travel a day later. For a long flight it is nice to be on EK and it is easy to clear customs in SFO--nicer than in LAX--and then you just have a 50 minute ride to LAX or SNA if you are in OC.
been out of the country and completely forgot that my car is in SF !!! Thanks for reminding me.. so this option totally makes sense now.

And Tim, thanks for your comments.. the JFK-SFO trip after 24 hours on planes does sound a little too tiring. So will stick to Emirates on the 30th.