Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK 407 Emergengy at MEL

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There is quite a difference between a near miss and an actual crash.
Old May 21, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There is quite a difference between a near miss and an actual crash.
Given the damage to the aircraft and airport hardware I'd classify this one as a crash, but fortunately a minor one where control was regained after the impacts and no-one was physically hurt.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by James S
Given the damage to the aircraft and airport hardware I'd classify this one as a crash, but fortunately a minor one where control was regained after the impacts and no-one was physically hurt.
Did your friend mention anything about smoke in the cabin after take off? This was the reason given initially for not doing a full fuel dump and landing very overweight

I suspect that no one other than the pilots knew how close they come to crashing until a few days after the incident.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP
New report today in Melbourne Herald-Sun about repair plans for aircraft. It will be one of the most comprehensive in history and includes flying from MEL to Toulouse unpressurised:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...8-2862,00.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by MEL-World
New report today in Melbourne Herald-Sun about repair plans for aircraft. It will be one of the most comprehensive in history and includes flying from MEL to Toulouse unpressurised:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...8-2862,00.html
Very impressive, repairing a plane that's not off the drawing board yet.

$100m repair bill for damaged Air Emirates A350
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why don't you stay away from this forum if you've nothing constructive to say?
It was pretty constructive in my opinion. His opinion counts as do yours. Shouting someone down is not in the spirit of Flyertalk.

After reading all the articles, I too will certainly think twice before I board an EK flight. Yes - culture and quality impacts human decisions and to me, human decisions made under any duress that involves my safety counts for something.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Very impressive, repairing a plane that's not off the drawing board yet.

$100m repair bill for damaged Air Emirates A350
Perhaps this will the "ground breaking" for new airbus A350. Patch up an A345 with 5 kilos of carbon fiber, call it a 350 and launch in the UAE! The UAE loves old Airbus. Jolly good luck
Tally Ho!

PS typical news reporting on avation...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:00 am

It flew out of Melbourne at 11am Friday under an airbus callsign. A long trip at 10,000 feet. I hope they don't encounter any storms at such a low level.

Take off ... at last

Originally Posted by Sunday Herald-Sun
THE Emirates jet that almost crashed at Melbourne Airport with 275 people on board has begun a long and slow journey to France for a $100 million repair job.

The Airbus A340-500 flew from Melbourne Airport at 11am on Friday, with temporary repairs completed on its badly damaged tail.

The low-key departure came 91 days after the accident,

It is understood Airbus pilots flew to Australia to ferry the aircraft back to France. It was given an Airbus call-sign - AIB-608 - as it left Melbourne, and needed a permit from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority before it could take off.

Melbourne Airport refused to reveal when the flight was leaving.

Air-traffic controllers have yet to decide whether to ask Emirates to pay for the damage caused to their navigation system in the accident.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP
Interesting article with the pilot from Melbourne Herald-Sun:

"THE pilot at the controls of an Emirates jet that almost crashed at Melbourne Airport has revealed how he saved 275 lives.

Breaking a four-month silence, the pilot told how he managed to wrench the fully-loaded plane into the air just seconds before it almost crashed.

"I still don't know how we got it off the ground," the pilot said.

"I thought we were going to die, it was that close.

"It was the worst thing in 20 years (of flying). It was the worst thing I've felt, but thank God we got it safely around."

The pilot, a 42-year-old European man, spoke to the Sunday Herald Sun on the condition his identity not be revealed.

Realising the plane had not reached a high enough speed to get airborne, and with the end of the runway rapidly approaching, the pilot and co-pilot were desperately checking controls in the cockpit, trying to find out what had gone wrong.

At the last second, the pilot engaged a rapid acceleration known as TOGA (take-off go-around) and lifted the plane off the ground."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...91-661,00.html
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
From the Melbourne Herald Sun article...

Originally Posted by MEL-World
HE had slept for only 3 1/2 hours in the 24 hours before the flight taking off on March 20.
"I had the flown the maximum in the last 30 days. One hundred hours in 28 days, it's an Emirates rule," he said. "I'd flown 99 hours. You can fly 100 hours in a month."
HE and his co-pilot were ordered to resign. They were handed pre-prepared letters of resignation when they returned to Emirates headquarters.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Update.

Sorry for ripping up an old thread, but I stumbled upon some update on this incident...

Was reading local news from Denmark, when this came up!
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

And after a google search, this came up;
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Thought it might be of interest...

But sad story anyways!

Last edited by Rukor; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:00 pm

Interim report released by ATSB

The investigation has determined that the pre-flight take-off performance calculations were based on an incorrect take-off weight that was inadvertently entered into the take-off performance software on a laptop computer used by the flight crew. Subsequent crosschecks did not detect the incorrect entry and its effect on performance planning.
As a result of this accident, the aircraft operator has undertaken a number of procedural, training and technical initiatives across its fleet and operations with a view to minimising the risk of a recurrence. In addition, the aircraft manufacturer has released a modified version of its performance-planning tool and is developing a software package that automatically checks the consistency of the flight data being entered into the aircraft's flight computers by flight crews.
The investigation has found a number of similar take-off performance-related incidents and accidents around the world…….
The investigation is continuing.
In light of media speculation regarding the flight crew being fatigued, the following is interesting :

The flight crew’s work and sleep history was entered into the Fatigue Avoidance Scheduling Tool (FAST)15 that was originally developed for the US Air Force. The FAST software predicts effective performance using calculations developed from empirical research findings of studies into the effects that wakefulness and circadian rhythms have on cognitive performance. These calculations take into account both work and sleep patterns as well as the quality of sleep.

The output from FAST focuses on establishing an individual’s ‘task effectiveness score’. Both crew members had a score that was near the top of the effectiveness range.

The operator supplied the results from another commercially available fatigue
modelling tool that was used as part of their FRMS. That model used work hours and sleep/wake data to determine an ‘alertness prediction’, and was developed from data collected in laboratory studies and on long-haul flights. Those results correlated with the FAST assessment.

The examination of flight and duty times and fatigue is continuing.
Full report here
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...-2009-012.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.