Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Chances of upgrading on Xmas day flight SFO-DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm booked in Y for the SFO-DXB & DXB-BOM flight on 12/25 and I was wondering what my chances of upgrading to J using miles? I have no status with EK.
I have some points in SPG that I could transfer towards my skywards account but don't want to transfer 100k miles knowing there is just a slight chance.
I'm thinking this is a new route but then again it is Christmas day...

I checked seatcounter and it is showing 7 seats in C&J. Please advise! thanks..
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:20 pm

As long as there are seats in C you will be fine. They changed the rules a year ago when it used to be J, but they restricted the upgrades to A and C in First and Business respectively.

You should call Skywards and confirm with them; they're pretty helpful.

Good luck
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

thanks,edy4eva!
Looks like the US(NY) Skywards is closed over the weekend
I'll try and see if their Manchester service center might be able to answer my question!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
You may be lucky...
[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.2/Platinum - Sabre: ITN/UK-ASB]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
DXB  Dubai AE [OMDB]
THU  25 Dec 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------------- 
EK        226    SFO  15:45     DXB  19:25 +1       0    P4 A0 J7 C7 Y8 E0 W0 M0 B0 U0 K0 H0 Q0 L0
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

thanks! I have initiated the transfer from my SPG to Skywards. Hoping it doesn't take too long!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You should be able to be get a seat. There probably won't be many business people travelling that day. Remember you get to take advantage of the chauffeur drive, etc. once the upgrade is confirmed.

Good luck and have a good flight!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for enlightening me about the chauffeur service, sfozrhfco! I wasn't aware of it.@:-)

Was looking around their website and it is not listing SFO as one of the options:
http://www.emirates.com/ca/English/p...available.aspx

but I suspect since it is because their SFO-DXB service hasn't started yet...I'll call and ask!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Did you see this :-

Complimentary upgrade between Dubai and San Francisco

Emirates’ non-stop service to San Francisco, USA begins on 15th December 2008. To celebrate, redeem your Miles for a standard one-way upgrade reward between Dubai and San Francisco before 15th January 2009, and receive a complimentary upgrade on your return journey. This means you can enjoy upgrades on the entire journey for 45,000 Miles instead of the standard 90,000, and experience this beautiful city for less. To qualify for the offer, you must complete all your travel by 15th January 2009. For more information and terms and conditions of the offer, please Click Here.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks,DYKWIA.
....Travel to be completed between 15th Decmeber 2008 and 15th January 2009. ...
I'm returning on 19th so unfortunately won't qualify for this
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:44 pm

Enjoy a 25% discount on your upgrade when you fly on Emirates between 15th December 2008 and 15th January 2009. Upgrade online between now and 15th January 2009

You're in good shape my friend for this one
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Enjoy a 25% discount on your upgrade when you fly on Emirates between 15th December 2008 and 15th January 2009. Upgrade online between now and 15th January 2009

You're in good shape my friend for this one
I'm guessing you're referring to this?
http://www.skywards.com/Offer_detail...tcm:136-388786

Doesn't list SFO as an option though nor any other North American cities..
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards/Gulf Air FFP/Flying Blue Kenya Airways/KLM
did u get the upgrade then? u do know u can upgrade online and dont need to contact skywards.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rameezm
did u get the upgrade then?.
No, not yet...still waiting for the miles to transfer from my SPG account to skywards. Its been a week, hopefully I'll see it in my account soon!

u do know u can upgrade online and dont need to contact skywards.
Thanks, I came to know about it few days ago. I will post an update once the miles are in my account and if I'm able to upgrade or not.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
this is a REALLY long flight. you should be glad that you're in C and not in the back
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Just an update, the miles has posted into my skywards(from SPG) and I have upgraded from Y to C . Didn't qualify for the reduced award but the process was smooth! ^ I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, will try to repay by posting a trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.