Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who designed Terminal 3

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Who designed Terminal 3

The persons who designed Terminal 3 have absolutely no concept of convenience to passengers and disabled access.
I was surprised to find no motorized walkways in terminal 3 and to find an Electric cart is impossible. They always seem to be recharging with no attendant in site. Once I requested a cart at the old F class lounge and it took 20 minutes to arrive.I made my flight with 5 minutes to spare.

If you are transiting from Terminal 3 to T1 there is a drop of one floor and disabled and trolley users have to take the elevators.

The duty free shop visitors crowd the walk area and you get jostled by passengers drooling at the duty free goods

The premier class lounge entrances are well camouflaged and if you land at the far end gate and go through security you have to walk all the way to the entrance and then walk all the way back again to the First class lounge entrance.

The recently announced restriction for Y class passengers with Gold and silver status to use T3 lounges requires them to walk all the way ro Gate 122 and return to gates 2X

They have to plan an elevated rail system like DFW airport almost immediately to allow passengers to connect easily.

Finally why terminal 3 gates are numbered 201 202 etc? What is the logic?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:31 am

I hear and agree with every question you've asked. I am yet to go through T3, but from reading reviews here, I can already touch the inconvenience built into the terminal design.

When I went through DXB in early October, I, too was surprised with the new numberings (over the PA: X flight xxx is now boarding at gate 1xx). It would be of great inconvenience for someone who knows nothing of the airport, and hears 1xx, catches the 2xx, and heads over there.

The duty free in the old terminal was plain nuisance to go through; the upper floor had confined space as a result of the design: on one side if there is a queue to a gate, it would be nearly impossible to walk through there (right hand side, walking towards gates 1, 2, 3 etc); on the other side you had the annoying cart every few mintes, AND passengers lying down on the floor with their feet extended.

It's unfortunate to see that lessons were not learned from T2, rather they were transposed albeit with a greater magnitude.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:18 am

Gate numbering system

The logic in gate numbering is as follows:

Concourse 1 - Gates 1xx
Concourse 2 - Gates 2xx
Concourse 3 - Gates 3xx (under construction)

Most passengers checking in at Terminal 1, depart from Concourse 1 (old one)
Emirates passengers check in at Terminal 3, and depart primarily from Concourse 2, although a few flights still operate from Concourse 1.

Concourse 3 is a big hole in the ground at the moment.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by drbala
The persons who designed Terminal 3 have absolutely no concept of convenience to passengers and disabled access.
I was surprised to find no motorized walkways in terminal 3 and to find an Electric cart is impossible. They always seem to be recharging with no attendant in site. Once I requested a cart at the old F class lounge and it took 20 minutes to arrive.I made my flight with 5 minutes to spare.

If you are transiting from Terminal 3 to T1 there is a drop of one floor and disabled and trolley users have to take the elevators.

The duty free shop visitors crowd the walk area and you get jostled by passengers drooling at the duty free goods

The premier class lounge entrances are well camouflaged and if you land at the far end gate and go through security you have to walk all the way to the entrance and then walk all the way back again to the First class lounge entrance.

The recently announced restriction for Y class passengers with Gold and silver status to use T3 lounges requires them to walk all the way ro Gate 122 and return to gates 2X

They have to plan an elevated rail system like DFW airport almost immediately to allow passengers to connect easily.

Finally why terminal 3 gates are numbered 201 202 etc? What is the logic?
When you have flown in/out of T3 a number of times you really do begin to notice all the design flaws. There are quite a few additional flaws that have not been reported in the forum. I have made a number of posts regarding T3 and the lounges. I will leave it to others to add additional comments.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyEK
The logic in gate numbering is as follows:

Concourse 1 - Gates 1xx
Concourse 2 - Gates 2xx
Concourse 3 - Gates 3xx (under construction)

Most passengers checking in at Terminal 1, depart from Concourse 1 (old one)
Emirates passengers check in at Terminal 3, and depart primarily from Concourse 2, although a few flights still operate from Concourse 1.

Concourse 3 is a big hole in the ground at the moment.
All the more confusing. How did Terminal 1 move to terminal 3 and become Concourse 1
Still the entire world's attention is being drawn to the new Terminal 3. This is the first time I have heard of Concourse 2. I do not see it sign posted anywhere. Is there a Terminal 2?
Last time I flew out of DXB the DXB-MAA flight was switched from Terminal 3 AKA Concourse 2 to Terminal 1 AKA Concourse 1. The gate was announced in First class lounge 40 minutes before the flight. I with my rheumy legs barely made the flight
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gorilaz
When you have flown in/out of T3 a number of times you really do begin to notice all the design flaws. There are quite a few additional flaws that have not been reported in the forum. I have made a number of posts regarding T3 and the lounges. I will leave it to others to add additional comments.
I have read with interest your comments on Terminal 3 and have enjoyed them. Keep up your good work and hopefully The Sheiks will notice our posts

Last edited by drbala; Dec 5, 2008 at 1:15 am Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Like the one that is currently under construction? It's due to open next year.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, EK-Silver, SV-Gold
... Is there a Terminal 2?
Terminal 2 is located on the opposite side of the airport.

e.g

Terminal 2

============================
============================ <<runway

Terminal 1...........................Terminal 3
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Like the one that is currently under construction? It's due to open next year.

Cheers,
Rick
Thanks for the good news. Do you mean in 2009 or 2010
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tweaked
Terminal 2 is located on the opposite side of the airport.

e.g

Terminal 2

============================
============================ <<runway

Terminal 1...........................Terminal 3
Why not rename Terminal 2 across the runway as Terminal X and Terminal 3 which is contiguous to Terminal 1 as Terminal 2 and then the gates will make sense to my utterly confused mind.
Another option is to to call all the terminals/concourses 1,2,3 which are on one side of the runaway as the MAIN terminal and rename the terminals as concourses 1, 2 and 3 (When ready)Another option is SOUTH/NORTH or EAST/WEST depending on the orientation.
How are the gates numbered in Terminal 2? Do they have a 2 prefix?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:45 am

What you are confused about is the difference between a Terminal and a Concourse as the term is applied in Dubai.

A terminal is where passenger check-in and baggage re-claim takes place.

A concourse is the airside facility where the gates are.

When one refers to Terminal 3, it is only the Emirates dedicated check in and baggage reclaim building that is being spoken about, and not the airside facility with gates. That is the new Concourse 2, where gates are numbered
2xx.

All Emirates passengers check in at Termianal 3, and most depart from Concourse 2. Some may depart from Councourse 1 (Gates 1xx). Councourse 3will open in 2011.

Most other airlines' pax check in at Terminal 1, and depart from Concourse 1.

Some of the airlines you you've probably never heard of that go to dodgy destinations depart from Terminal 2. That one doesn't have any concourses associated with it.

Clear as mud?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyEK
What you are confused about is the difference between a Terminal and a Concourse as the term is applied in Dubai.

A terminal is where passenger check-in and baggage re-claim takes place.

A concourse is the airside facility where the gates are.

Some of the airlines you you've probably never heard of that go to dodgy destinations depart from Terminal 2. That one doesn't have any concourses associated with it.

Clear as mud?
Absolutely Confused even more. If Terminal 2 has no concourses where are the gates? Do the planes take off from the check in area as by your definition concourse is an airside facility and T2 has no concourses?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
A concourse is a building facility that juts out from the main building. Usually, the main building has the check in, baggage, immigration arrivals facility while the concourse is usually the airside part where the gates are. Many airports have concourses as they are easier to expand.
=============
MAIN BUILDING
====# C #===
# O #
# N #
# C #
# O #
# U #
# R #
# S #
# E #

In terminals like Dubai's T2 facility, the airside facility is qute simply in the main building:
==================
LANDSIDE FACILITY
AIRSIDE FACILITY
===================
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by directorguy_
A concourse is a building facility that juts out from the main building. Usually, the main building has the check in, baggage, immigration arrivals facility while the concourse is usually the airside part where the gates are. Many airports have concourses as they are easier to expand.
=============
MAIN BUILDING
====# C #===
# O #
# N #
# C #
# O #
# U #
# R #
# S #
# E #

In terminals like Dubai's T2 facility, the airside facility is qute simply in the main building:
==================
LANDSIDE FACILITY
AIRSIDE FACILITY
===================
Thanks Crystal clear. Just a thought Why not use alphabets like A, B, C etc to designate concourses as is done in ORD, DFW, MCO etc to avoid confusion
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
After a few champagnes in the F lounge, I quite enjoyed playing chicken at high speed in my power wheelchair with the drooling pax in the duty free areas. (maintaining pax safety at all times, of course)

Also managed to go from the end of T1 to the end of T3 (i.e. the complete distance) in 15 mins. This was at 2am. I obviously had way too much time in transit.

Seriously, though, I completely agree.

Last edited by CHC Kiwi; Dec 8, 2008 at 1:48 am Reason: Added safety message and corrected my usually impeccable spelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.