FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   DXB T3 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/886886-dxb-t3.html)

kataka Nov 9, 2008 6:54 am

DXB T3

Are all T3 arrivals/departures direct to/from the terminal? or are EK using buses at T3?

Lounges have not yet been updated on EK and Skywards websites. Is there a Silver member lounge in T3?

Gorilaz Nov 9, 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by kataka (Post 10693362)
Are all T3 arrivals/departures direct to/from the terminal? or are EK using buses at T3?

Lounges have not yet been updated on EK and Skywards websites. Is there a Silver member lounge in T3?

Flew out a week back from T3 and we were bussed to the aircraft on a remote stand. Not sure about the Skywards Silver lounge.

DYKWIA Nov 9, 2008 11:23 am

Silver members should be able to use the Business lounge in T3.

Cheers,
Rick

oceanmikey Nov 10, 2008 3:43 am

Flew back to BHX from Shanghai via Dubai last week.

On arrival at DXB were bussed from a remote stand (past the parked up shiny new A380) to terminal 2? then through security.

bit of a trek then to the new terminal, which was very quiet at the time (approx 04.30) Lounge is massive and again quiet at time of arrival. One thing that was disappointing, was people asleep and their luggage on the sofa's, making large areas of seating unusable!

Lounge filled up steadily during the 3hours we were there, with the good choice of food/drink being popular.

Our departure gate was in the new terminal but nearly at the end of it so took about 10mins to get there.

Should be no problems using the lounge as a silver member but i was also on a J class ticket so wasnt an issue.

Flying Fireman Nov 10, 2008 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Gorilaz (Post 10693644)
Flew out a week back from T3 and we were bussed to the aircraft on a remote stand.

=oceanmikey;On arrival at DXB were bussed from a remote stand (past the parked up shiny new A380) to terminal 2? then through security.
Very disappointed if this is still the norm. I thought all the bus transfers would stop with the opening of T3. :confused:

DYKWIA Nov 10, 2008 7:53 am

How many more (if any) gates are there in T3?

Cheers,
Rick

Emirates777 Nov 10, 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 10702531)

Cheers,
Rick

T3 has 26 contact gates versus 27 at T1. The principal difference being that T3 houses 5x A380 gates vs. 2x A380 gates at T1.

In fact T3 will be unable to handle Emirates existing peak schedule (the 0700-1140 bank) which has around 60 daily departures. Emirates plans to use 12 gates at T1 on a go forward basis (although it is unclear whether they are the remote gates or contact gates or a mixture) until Concourse 3 (the T3 satellite) is opened in 2011.

Expect bussing to continue but to a lesser extent than has been the case in the last 6 months. But as Emirates adds more flights, and until Concourse 3 opens, expect the number of remote stand operations to continue to rise in the run-up to 2011.

Rgds
Emirates777

missingmanager Nov 10, 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 10702531)

Cheers,
Rick

This website: http://travel.theemiratesnetwork.com/airports/dubai.php

says Terminal 1 contains 27 boarding gates and 47 aerobridges. I understand that Emirates will continue to operate 12 of them. As far as I can tell there will be 26 boarding gates and 56 aerobridges in Terminal 3 so there should be an increase in capacity. Whether it is enough I cannot say. The worrying aspect is that only 5 of the gates are designed for A380s. I hope that they can arrange to stagger arrivals and departures so that few are in Dubai at once but given how many they have ordered this seems to be decreasingly likely. Bus transfer of passengers from an A380 could be a nightmare.

missingmanager Nov 10, 2008 9:29 am

Sorry

I took a while composing my reply and didn't notice that a more authoritative response had already been sent.

avarice13 Nov 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Emirates777 (Post 10702777)
T3 has 26 contact gates versus 27 at T1. The principal difference being that T3 houses 5x A380 gates vs. 2x A380 gates at T1.

In fact T3 will be unable to handle Emirates existing peak schedule (the 0700-1140 bank) which has around 60 daily departures. Emirates plans to use 12 gates at T1 on a go forward basis (although it is unclear whether they are the remote gates or contact gates or a mixture) until Concourse 3 (the T3 satellite) is opened in 2011.

Expect bussing to continue but to a lesser extent than has been the case in the last 6 months. But as Emirates adds more flights, and until Concourse 3 opens, expect the number of remote stand operations to continue to rise in the run-up to 2011.

Rgds
Emirates777

Thank you for the detailed update. Much appreciated. I am of the belief that, going forward, EK will most likely use remote gates at T1 for the deficiency rather than contacts because then they can still maintain that they are flying dedicated out of T3.

The T3 Concourse will hopefully allow for some greater margin of error but then again, with new flights and destinations, we may be at anticipated capacity there too before it becomes operational.

Crude prices are low enough to persuade Emirates to pursue routes it promised to revisit with lower oil prices; however, with the recent plunge in profits, no route, I can imagine, will even be considered unless it can meet a certain constant load factor.

Again, thanks for your insight (as always) :-)

-t.

bvms Nov 16, 2008 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Emirates777 (Post 10702777)

Rgds
Emirates777

I dunno emirates 777 it's lookin' like T3's got bad problems.

I wish it'll get fixed otherwise emirates could turn off pax in this economic downturn.

I've heard rumors of new routes dxb-sin-dps, and june-july dxb-dur. I'd like to see dxb-ord too and dxb-mia, but with terminal 3 problems and gridlock at transit security like I faced, I wonder if emirates really can become the worlds first rate biggest airline it wants to become??

I wish I could forward this to paul griffiths the ceo of Dubai airports or the incharge of transit security at terminal three. He's probably seeing it right now in his face!

on Nov 14 I flew ek 513/837 although there were many unused bridges at new terminal three del-dxb ek 513 was parked at stand 15 minutes away from terminal three. near flower centre. why?

then we went to terminal three with 1 hour to catch connecting flight ek 837.

there was horrible gridlock 200+ passengers each at 6 lines of transit security. Emirates staffers when asked if skywards gold members can go straight to the lounge expressed helplessness to deal with the gridlock!
after 1/2 hour at 07:30 am. I broke away and rushed upto the front of the line with passengers in worse state then me, who had to board 15 minutes before.

then I rushed to gate 210 to be told boarding was late 15 minutes. then we had to wait additional 10 minutes downstairs for buses that didn't arrive.

then buses took us back to "exactly the same plane b777300er" that had arrived from delhi! why wasn't I told by the airplane staff (who certainly know all the daily flights that plane was servicing) to just stay on the plane?

to add insult to injury my luggage was lost and didn't arrive in Bahrain at all! so I got it later on next flight.

looks like terminal three dubai is turning into a T5 BAA heathrow woes all over again..

suggestion:
there should be speciallised ques for first class, business class, skywards gold and silver members security at transit. if there was 'fast track' lanes in Terminal 1, and fast transit security of 15 seconds in Terminal 1, terminal three is turning into a nightmare of epic proportions, looks like emirates is trying hard to drive away it's loyal customers to wait until the teething pains are over at terminal three.

I'm hoping to really expect an substantial reply to this complaint!

bvms Nov 16, 2008 5:16 am

I really wish I could of given this to paul griffiths the ceo of Dubai airports or the incharge of transit security at terminal three.

He must have plenty of gridlock in his office from the mess of transit security at T3!
on Nov 14 I flew ek 513/837 although there were many unused bridges at new terminal three del-dxb ek 513 was parked at stand 15 minutes away from terminal three. near flower centre. why?

then we went to terminal three with 1 hour to catch connecting flight ek 837.

there was horrible gridlock 200+ passengers each at 6 lines of transit security. Emirates staffers when asked if skywards gold members can go straight to the lounge expressed helplessness to deal with the gridlock!
after 1/2 hour at 07:30 am. I broke away and rushed upto the front of the line with passengers in worse state then me, who had to board 15 minutes before.

then I rushed to gate 210 to be told boarding was late 15 minutes. then we had to wait additional 10 minutes downstairs for buses that didn't arrive.

then buses took us back to "exactly the same plane b777300er" that had arrived from delhi! why wasn't I told by the airplane staff (who certainly know all the daily flights that plane was servicing) to just stay on the plane?

to add insult to injury my luggage was lost and didn't arrive in Bahrain at all! so I got it later on next flight.

looks like terminal three dubai is turning into a T5 BAA heathrow woes all over again..

suggestion:
there should be speciallised ques for first class, business class, skywards gold and silver members security at transit. if there was 'fast track' lanes in Terminal 1, and fast transit security of 15 seconds in Terminal 1, terminal three is turning into a nightmare of epic proportions, looks like emirates is trying hard to drive away it's loyal customers to wait until the teething pains are over at terminal three.

I really expect an substantial reply to this complaint!

gee I'd like to see new routes dxb-sin-dps in 2009, and dxb-dur 2009, and dxb-ord 2009. but if this is how transit security is going to cause nightmares I bet many people will not be flying emirates in this economic downturn partally due to T3 woes. T5 Heathrow all over again?

kataka Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm

I believe your bad experience has come through now - 3 posts is a bit overkill.

I passed through T3 for the first time on 14th/15th November. Smoothest transit I ever had at DXB. Incoming EK 060 from HAM docked about the middle on the western side of the terminal. No queues at transit security. Escalator to lounges just next the where I exited security. Bizz lounge HUGE - more like a terminal in the terminal. Good signage to the smoking area which was about 50% full. Small bar with snacks available. I believe proper food was available somewhere in the lounge, but I was not hungry enough to go for a search. Departure EK 652 to CMB was from gate 125 (just inside T1) 10 min walk from the lounge. Only on entering T1 did I see people sleeping on the floor, but gate 125 is only few meters inside T1, so it was not too bad.

At the gate I had a pleasant surprise - op-up'ed to C on a refurbished 777-300 (EMQ) with lie-flat seats.

bvms Nov 19, 2008 2:54 am

Originally Posted by oceanmikey (Post 10701496)
Flew back to BHX from Shanghai via Dubai last week.

On arrival at DXB were bussed from a remote stand (past the parked up shiny new A380) to terminal 2? then through security.

bit of a trek then to the new terminal, which was very quiet at the time (approx 04.30) Lounge is massive and again quiet at time of arrival. One thing that was disappointing, was people asleep and their luggage on the sofa's, making large areas of seating unusable!

Lounge filled up steadily during the 3hours we were there, with the good choice of food/drink being popular.

Our departure gate was in the new terminal but nearly at the end of it so took about 10mins to get there.

Should be no problems using the lounge as a silver member but i was also on a J class ticket so wasnt an issue.

how was transit security when you went thru it? on nov 14 when I went thru there were 6 lines 200+ a peice. that took more then 1 hour to get through. real hell if you ask me! i hope that on nov 22 it'll be better. what emirates needs to do is institute special ques for 1st, business, + skywards gold & silver transit security "fast track" ques. for tight connections!

DYKWIA Nov 19, 2008 3:30 am

Originally Posted by bvms (Post 10775744)
how was transit security when you went thru it? on nov 14 when I went thru there were 6 lines 200+ a peice. that took more then 1 hour to get through. real hell if you ask me! i hope that on nov 22 it'll be better. what emirates needs to do is institute special ques for 1st, business, + skywards gold & silver transit security "fast track" ques. for tight connections!

FFS - how many times are you going to post this?

This is the 4th time I've read it :mad: