Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates 2008 New Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by nipper64
I spoke to a senior Emirates employee and as the 2010 football worldcup is being held in SA and Emirates is one of the main sponsors DBN and CPT must be served. Emirates preferrs DBN as presently the only international flight outside africa is MRU. Emirates would be able to attract people who would want to fly to Europe allbeit via Dubai as these people already need to fly via either JHB or CPT. CPT already has direct flights to Europe so Emirates would be another in a long list of airlines to choose from whearas in DBN it will have none. Any thoughts comments?
There's a certain logic to it, certainly, though I'm not persuaded by the World Cup aspect. But you can add the inducement of the huge Indian community in DBN - it would give them an alternative to flying via JNB. Just not sure what the demand would be like in total. Still, they could run a few flights a week (like SAA does to BOM) or extend some of the JNB flights to DBN.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, BA Executive Club Gold, AA Advantage Gold, VS Flying Club Silver
Aside from a daily Cape Town service in 2008 which is confirmed, there is a possibility that Emirates may commence with a 3x weekly non-stop A330 service to Durban from December 2008.

Rgds
Emirates777
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:46 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'd love a Durban flight. Have extremely close family friends in Durbs and connecting in JNB is a drag (although Jo'burg isn't as terrible of a city as people make out and it is the best jumping off groud to Kruger / Botswana).
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:39 am

Programs: emirates skywards gold,
Smile pl. post ek dxb-cpt-dxb article on forums

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
A daily service to CPT was confirmed in a newspaper article here today. ^ No indication of when it will start though.
can you please post the entire article so we all can read it? I'm especially curious about cpt-dxb and when it'll start so I can book seats accordingly,. some say with ek cpt-dxb it will b another nail in coffin for saa.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:44 am

Smile ek routes 2008 dur cpt, jaipur in india too?

A daily service to CPT was confirmed in a newspaper article here today. ^ No indication of when it will start though.
Originally Posted by Emirates777
Aside from a daily Cape Town service in 2008 which is confirmed, there is a possibility that Emirates may commence with a 3x weekly non-stop A330 service to Durban from December 2008.

Rgds
Emirates777

dur-dxb would be fantastic! who want's to go back to jnb to connect? dxb-cpt would also be good. I;m based in UP india, 5 hours from jaipur, dxb-jai-dxb would be fantastic. emirates777 any chance of that happening in 2008?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by bvms
can you please post the entire article so we all can read it? I'm especially curious about cpt-dxb and when it'll start so I can book seats accordingly,. some say with ek cpt-dxb it will b another nail in coffin for saa.
Here's the link to the article - but it says nothing about frequency or when the service will start.

As for coffin nails (which is a point the article makes), currently SA code shares with EK so I'm not sure they will be too aggrieved by this.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Re:

Will BNE-CHC-BNE start when EK introduces the DXB-BNE A345 service? I would like to say yes.

cw
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA

As for coffin nails (which is a point the article makes), currently SA code shares with EK so I'm not sure they will be too aggrieved by this.
SA will feel this. Their codeshare (if there will be any on the CPT route) only extends to DXB not beyond and the CPT connection will definitely take away marketshare from SAA to Europe, Asia and Australia. Considering that a discounted C ticket on SA is significantly more expensive than a discounted F on EK or Y is significantly cheaper than Y on SA (assuming that their pricing is similar to the pricing ex JNB) that's a foregone conclusion (and one can avoid that crappy daylight flight to FRA).
Old Dec 6, 2007, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by capetonian
SA will feel this. Their codeshare (if there will be any on the CPT route) only extends to DXB not beyond and the CPT connection will definitely take away marketshare from SAA to Europe, Asia and Australia. Considering that a discounted C ticket on SA is significantly more expensive than a discounted F on EK or Y is significantly cheaper than Y on SA (assuming that their pricing is similar to the pricing ex JNB) that's a foregone conclusion (and one can avoid that crappy daylight flight to FRA).
I agree up to a point. SA can't fly enough premium seats to LHR and I believe FRA loads are pretty healthy too (despite the daylight flight). Apart from those they have totally failed to succesfully build up another market in Europe despite numerous ill-fated attempts. So unless enough customers are going to fly via DXB to LHR and FRA, which I doubt, I don't see that SA can complain about EK and others taking away their clients.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
I agree up to a point. SA can't fly enough premium seats to LHR and I believe FRA loads are pretty healthy too (despite the daylight flight). Apart from those they have totally failed to succesfully build up another market in Europe despite numerous ill-fated attempts. So unless enough customers are going to fly via DXB to LHR and FRA, which I doubt, I don't see that SA can complain about EK and others taking away their clients.
Agree with the LHR loads - I am sure they could ill up 14 flights a week to LHR. In my experience, however, paxe in C on the FRA route are mostly either voyager-upgrades or el cheapo (at least compared to what we are expected to fork out here) C class tickets booked in Germany where the retail for the equivalent of 20 Grand.

The daylight FRA flight has the big disavantage as well that you only have limited connections and in case of a delay which admittedly rarely happens on that route you're stuck in FRA.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:14 am

I spoke to a senior Emirates employee and as the 2010 football worldcup is being held in SA and Emirates is one of the main sponsors DBN and CPT must be served. Emirates preferrs DBN as presently the only international flight outside africa is MRU. Emirates would be able to attract people who would want to fly to Europe allbeit via Dubai as these people already need to fly via either JHB or CPT. CPT already has direct flights to Europe so Emirates would be another in a long list of airlines to choose from whearas in DBN it will have none. Any thoughts comments?
There are direct flights from Europe to Cape Town but check the schedules and you'll see that there isn't a "long list of airlines to choose from."

South Africa, and Cape Town in particular, is a popular destination for travellers residing in Northern Europe and, because of restrictive air service agreements, there is insufficient capacity to meet demand.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:33 am

bvms

I was just in JNB I talked to Ek jnb offices in sandton city mall. they told me that they had no firm dates set for cpt starts. (as usual-they would keep their mouths shut until the official announcements). I asked about dbn for 2010 world cup, they also affirmed that dbn will be served from DXB be 4 then.. but again, no firm dates in the works.

rgds. bvms

Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:54 am

Rgds
Emirates777
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=emirates

emirates 777

I;m based in UP india, 5 hours from jaipur, dxb-jai-dxb would be fantastic. emirates777 any chance of that happening in 2008?

(fly emirates)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:55 am

Rgds
Emirates777
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=emirates

dear emirates 777

I;m based in UP india, 5 hours from jaipur, dxb-jai-dxb would be fantastic. emirates777 any chance of that happening in 2008?

(fly emirates)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:22 am

It's official now: EK will start DXB-CPT service 30.03.2008 with a daily A330, switiching to a B777-200 on Oct 1.

http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/a...FOOTPRINT.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.