Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

New Dubai airport terminal not before May 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:50 am
Original Poster

The new terminal / concourse at Dubai International Airport will not open before May 2008, so we have to wait another half year...
Another half year of bus rides, long lines, full lounges etc.

Read more here:http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Aviation/10159015.html
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Having just returned from DXB, there would still appear to be a lot of work to complete to hit the May 2008 date.

I wonder exactly what will be open from May 2008?

What is Concourse 2? Is this a new part of Terminal 2? They seem to refer to Concourse 2 and Terminal 3.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Having just returned from DXB, there would still appear to be a lot of work to complete to hit the May 2008 date.

I wonder exactly what will be open from May 2008?

What is Concourse 2? Is this a new part of Terminal 2? They seem to refer to Concourse 2 and Terminal 3.

Cheers,
Rick
There are already two terminals at Dubai - but the smaller one (which I think is used for express mail airlines, emiri flights, and some charters - at least it used to be) is rarely known about.

The additional *new* terminal 3, when it opens, is going to be similar in a way to how the old Bangkok airport called itself terminals 1 & 2, but were really just 2 long terminals/concourses joined in the middle, and you could pass all the way through from one end to the other (if you so chose). Basically, 2 very long concourses, but to make sure people get to the right checkin area, numbering them differently to avoid long walks on entry.^
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Star Alliance
When it opens in May 2008, just hope that they they have more Biz lounges etc as that current one at the moment is a joke...... to many people and not enough space or seats.

Unsure what the current 1st class lounge is like or the secondary Biz lounge that is open by gate 9 or 10 etc
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

?

Cheers,
Rick
Terminal 1 and 2 are the terminals where you check in, departing from DXB. There will be a new terminal 3.
Concourse 1 is the building with the boarding gates, lounges and duty free.
Concourse 2 is the new building, extending from the old one: this is the one we all are waiting for!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:31 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
Anybody ever seen any plans how the new one will be looking from the inside?

I assume they will also build a new duty-free area, right? Otherwise it would be too far to walk from the far end up to the "old" duty free area...

Do you think they will have something like a "fastpath" for connecting passengers who have to go from one end to the other?? Already now in the "old" terminal it is a big hustle!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by dusordua
Terminal 1 and 2 are the terminals where you check in, departing from DXB. There will be a new terminal 3.
Concourse 1 is the building with the boarding gates, lounges and duty free.
Concourse 2 is the new building, extending from the old one: this is the one we all are waiting for!
I'm still not sure I understand.

Terminal 1 - is what most of the airlines use, and is on the south of the airfield. This is where the duty free and lounges are.

Terminal 2 - is the smaller terminal on the north side of the airfield. I've never used this terminal, but you can normally see a few planes over there.

Terminal 3 - now I get confused... I thought terminal 3 was the huge extension that is currently being build attached to Terminal 1. This would be the new Emirates terminal and has a load of double decker gates for the A380. Is this not correct? If not, when and where is Terminal 3 being built?

If this *is* Terminal 3, then what is Concourse 2? Your message seems to say that what I've described as Terminal 3 is actually Concourse 2.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:21 am

Oh yeah, and don't forget the Dubai World Central International Airport

I notice that the transit system between the airports is well under way. The 'legs' to hold the tracks are appearing all down Sheikh Zahid road, and outside the current airport.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:24 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm still not sure I understand.

[...]

Terminal 3 - now I get confused... I thought terminal 3 was the huge extension that is currently being build attached to Terminal 1. This would be the new Emirates terminal and has a load of double decker gates for the A380. Is this not correct? If not, when and where is Terminal 3 being built?

If this *is* Terminal 3, then what is Concourse 2? Your message seems to say that what I've described as Terminal 3 is actually Concourse 2.

Cheers,
Rick
You are understanding correctly: The new Terminal 3 contains two concourses (Concourse 2 and 3). Terminal 3 and Concourse 2 are due to open May next year, Concourse 3 will follow later.

See here for more info on the project

And here for official Dubai Airport info page (still speaking of an opening late 2006/early 2007 )
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

.Terminal 3 - now I get confused... I thought terminal 3 was the huge extension that is currently being build attached to Terminal 1. This would be the new Emirates terminal and has a load of double decker gates for the A380. Is this not correct? If not, when and where is Terminal 3 being built?

Cheers,
Rick
When you arrive by car, taxi, limo at Dubai airport you check in for Emirates flights at terminal 2 (do not know where and for what is terminal 1).
Then you go a long way underground to concourse 1, which is in the middle of the airfield, where you board the planes.

From next May you will check in for Emirates flights in the new terminal 3 and you will board the planes from the new concourse 2: this is the new building in the middle of the airfield next to concourse 1.

I do not know where the new concourse 3 will be located and when it will open.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelben
Anybody ever seen any plans how the new one will be looking from the inside?

I assume they will also build a new duty-free area, right? Otherwise it would be too far to walk from the far end up to the "old" duty free area...

Do you think they will have something like a "fastpath" for connecting passengers who have to go from one end to the other?? Already now in the "old" terminal it is a big hustle!
EK's top manager Mr. Clark said recently:

When the new terminal/concourse will open, people will compare it to the Burj Al Arab...
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by dusordua
When you arrive by car, taxi, limo at Dubai airport you check in for Emirates flights at terminal 2 (do not know where and for what is terminal 1).
Then you go a long way underground to concourse 1, which is in the middle of the airfield, where you board the planes.

From next May you will check in for Emirates flights in the new terminal 3 and you will board the planes from the new concourse 2: this is the new building in the middle of the airfield next to concourse 1.

I do not know where the new concourse 3 will be located and when it will open.
Thanks, now I understand!

Cheers,
Rick
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
All I can say is God bless BAH airport with its relative sanity and ease!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:54 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
BAH airport is nice, especially the F/J checkin and security (or rather lack of security most of the time for me), but the problem is not the airport, it's their airline

Looking forward to the new terminal opening, but the one thing i like about Dubai.. "the airport where one can step over people from all over the world"
Old Nov 17, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Article on new Dubai International Airport Website

This article sheds some more light on the current situation, but neglects to mention the target date for opening...

Originally Posted by Dubai International Airport
It is currently the largest airport development in the world. With an average of 14,000-18,000 people working on site, Dubai International Airport’s Terminal 3 and Concourse 2 construction is very much on schedule.

Every year, the airport handles more passenger traffic, more airlines and more cargo. And every year since expansion began in 2002, the airport is getting bigger and better, to meet the needs of increasing demand. In the year 2004 a total of 21.7 million passengers used Dubai International Airport. This figure is expected to go up to 25 million this year. The first quarter statistics show that passenger movement is up 12.7% with 6.02 million passenger throughput.

Passing by the airport, one cannot miss the massive construction work underway. Costing US$ 4.1 billion, the Dubai International Airport expansion includes construction of Terminal 3, concourse 2 and concourse 3 (all dedicated to Emirates airline), cargo mega terminal and expansion of Terminal 2.

Ninety percent of all the tender packages for Terminal 3 and concourse 2 have been awarded. Some of the major packages include the electro-mechanical-architectural finishes, baggage handling, aerobridges and façade/external works. The shell of Concourse 2 is clearly visible now as work progresses at a rapid pace.

Construction work on Concourse 3 is scheduled to begin later this year.

The Cargo Mega Terminal, which will cater mainly to Emirates Skycargo, will be completed by 2007 and will have the capacity to handle 5 million tonnes of cargo throughput annually. This will make it among the top six airports in the world, in terms of cargo capacity available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.