FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Dubai layover: what Emirates provides (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/661893-dubai-layover-what-emirates-provides.html)

SanDiego1K Feb 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Dubai layover: what Emirates provides

There is a lot of information on what Emirates offers for layovers in Dubai scattered through various threads. I thought it might be useful to capture it in one thread. My experience is with what is provided for F/J passengers.

Criteria for an Emirates paid layover
I was on the first available flight out of Dubai to my onward destination, and had a 22 hour layover in Dubai. I understand that it is key to take the first onward connection. I bought a heavily discounted F ticket in Colombo. I asked for the layover hotel and it was approved. I was given a voucher, and the appropriate information was entered in my booking.

Arrival in Dubai
  1. Proceed to Passport Control and clear immigration
  2. If your passport is retained by immigration (a non issue for US passport holders), the sponsorship form I had would be a receipt for the passport.
  3. Collect your baggage if it has been tagged to Dubai. Clear Customs.
  4. First and Business Class passengers should go to the Emirates Chauffeur Desk.
  5. Economy passengers should board the Millenium Airport Hotel bus outside the Arrivals Terminal
  6. A limo will be provided to Le Meridien

Le Meridien Hotel
  1. Emirates has a separate entrance at the hotel to the left of the main entrance. The chauffeur will take you to this entrance.
  2. There is a small vestibule, and a desk which is staffed by Emirates employees. They have your arrival and departure information.
  3. You will be assigned to a room. Be wary of rooms with one bed if there are two of you traveling; the bed looks barely the width of a standard American double bed. I recommend a double bedded room.
  4. You will be given vouchers for each meal that you require. Breakfast is a buffet.

Room
The bed and linens are very comfortable and new. The room itself is a bit worn and small. Still, free is a good thing.

Restaurants
  1. The lunch and dinner coupons are good at Yalumba, Long Yin (Chinese), M's Beef Bistro, Casa Mia (Italian) and Sukhothai (Thai).
  2. Sukhothai and Casa Mia are in the Village complex of restaurants and bars, at the back end of the property. Yalumba, M's Beef Bistro and Long Yin are off the lobby.
  3. Each restaurant has a set menu for Emirates passengers.
  4. Sukhothai had a superb menu; I highly recommend it.

Departure
  1. The front desk staff will set your limo pickup for 2 hours before your flight time.
  2. You get a wake call at a time of your designation; the staff is extremely good at follow up to be sure you are up and about.

I was very impressed with the smooth operation of all of this. Emirates really deserves accolades for the simplicity in and ease of use.

Mogensen Feb 18, 2007 2:37 pm

and just to give an update on the situation for economy class passengers i encountered the following:

Booked HAM-DXB-ADD-DXB-HAM (the flight has a 9 hour layover in DXB) - upon requesting the stpc I was told that since this ticket was booked in V (how would I know) this ticket would not be valid for accomodation.

They said that only B?? and true Y class tickets would be honored with a free hotel in Dubai, however if i upgraded using miles I would get the full business class deal with hotel and limo.

Btw was told that the fare difference between V and B??? was only 200 EUR.

sadiqhassan Feb 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 7246696)

Criteria for an Emirates paid layover
I was on the first available flight out of Dubai to my onward destination, and had a 22 hour layover in Dubai. I understand that it is key to take the first onward connection. I bought a heavily discounted F ticket in Colombo. I asked for the layover hotel and it was approved. I was given a voucher, and the appropriate information was entered in my booking.

This is where most of the controversy lies. Tickets ex some countries only qualify in high buckets, whereas tickets ex other qualify in all classes.

Mofomat Feb 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Just to add a little extra. It is also possible to take room service (from a special menu) instead of having to actually visit the restaurants.

MAN Pax Feb 18, 2007 3:30 pm

How does this work with an A class RTW ex BKK? I'm scheduled for LHR-DXB-MRU, but have not even checked flight times yet.

Of course I'll be picking up an oneworld RTW in MRU and won't be back for nearly a year!

SanDiego1K Feb 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Pax (Post 7247462)
How does this work with an A class RTW ex BKK? I'm scheduled for LHR-DXB-MRU, but have not even checked flight times yet.

Aren't those BA flights? You'd need to check with BA as to their policy. I've flown my share of OneWorld RTW tickets, and am unaware of any hotels being provided by the carriers on a layover.

sadiqhassan Feb 18, 2007 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 7247646)
Aren't those BA flights? You'd need to check with BA as to their policy. I've flown my share of OneWorld RTW tickets, and am unaware of any hotels being provided by the carriers on a layover.

I believe (s)he is flying on an EK/UA RTW into MRU via DXB and then flying onwards on oneworld but is asking about the layover in DXB.

FWIW, qualifying for STPC in Dubai ex LHR is quite unlikely because there are so many ex LHR flights - a long layover is unlikely.

Mo We Th Sa
EK 2 LHR 13:45 DXB 00:30 +1 77W 0
EK 701 DXB 02:35 +1 MRU 09:05 +1 773 0

Cheers

asienflieger Feb 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Dubai layover

Have been in Dubai twice this month with Mrs. asienflieger on the discounted ex CMB C/F-class fare of Emirates. Once Emirates provided the Le Meridien Dubai, second time they provided the Al Sondos Suites by Le Meridien.
This is an all suites hotel in Deira, just opposite the Deira City Centre Mall with lots of shops, Carrefour supermarket, foodcourts,...
Nearby is a big building (headquarter ?) of Emirates with ticketoffices and well stocked Emirates souvenir shop.
The hotel itself has only 1 restaurant. Breakfast and lunch was a buffet. For Dinner you can choose from the menu for a fixed amount. There is a small pool outside, but we didnīt use it because the hotel is surrounded by different building sites with noise and dust.
We prefered this hotel more because of its more convenient location for us to explore Dubai, as it was our first time there out of the airport. The Le Meridien Dubai instead is a place of peace ideal to relax from the flights.

MAN Pax Feb 19, 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 7247889)
I believe (s)he is flying on an EK/UA RTW into MRU via DXB and then flying onwards on oneworld but is asking about the layover in DXB.

FWIW, qualifying for STPC in Dubai ex LHR is quite unlikely because there are so many ex LHR flights - a long layover is unlikely.

Mo We Th Sa
EK 2 LHR 13:45 DXB 00:30 +1 77W 0
EK 701 DXB 02:35 +1 MRU 09:05 +1 773 0

Cheers

Hi - you're right, he(me) is flying on an UA/EK RTW ex BKK, which I'll break in MRU for a cheap oneworld ticket. Probably head for MRU towards the end of this year. I start the UA/EK ticket in July, but it's already ticketed.

fluke Feb 19, 2007 5:50 am

Thanks SanDiego1K.
You are always informative and helpful. ^
May I add more information about restaurant.
Emirates have just added the award winner buffet restaurant in Dubai on 2004 "Yalumba" to the selection.
Located next to the main lobby with plenty of high quality foods. :D

BTW I also love Sukhothai's dinner set. :p

star_world Feb 19, 2007 7:13 am

Just had lunch in Sukhothai - completely agree about the menu, the food was excellent.

One small point to add about the rooms - maybe they haven't upgraded them all yet, but I was extremely impressed with the one I got (they have separate rooms for J and F pax, I was in J) - it was brand new inside, with a large flat-screen TV on the wall, DVD player, etc. The only part that wasn't up to that standard was the shower which seemed to be an older design.

Overall the layover process works very well and the staff in the EK section of the hotel are excellent.

SanDiego1K Feb 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by fluke (Post 7250454)
Emirates have just added the award winner buffet restaurant in Dubai on 2004 "Yalumba" to the selection.
Located next to the main lobby with plenty of high quality foods. :D

I've added that to my initial post. Yalumba is also where breakfast is served.

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 7250739)
One small point to add about the rooms - maybe they haven't upgraded them all yet, but I was extremely impressed with the one I got (they have separate rooms for J and F pax, I was in J) - it was brand new inside, with a large flat-screen TV on the wall, DVD player, etc.

We were flying F. We saw two rooms, and the curtains and carpets were tired in each of them. Yet the bed linens were obviously new.

My husband was very impressed with the health club at Le Meridien. He said it was the most impressive selection of work out equipment he had seen in a hotel.

fluke Feb 20, 2007 2:00 am

Ops! :p
I just wanna say that they have just included the lunch and dinner buffet at Yalumba beside of breakfast.
I did not see this last year, let me guess because it's more expensive than other restaurants' set menu.
And the selection of foods is far better than breakfast, one of the best buffet in Dubai.
It's quite hard now to choose between dinner set at Sukhothai and dinner buffet at Yalumba. :D
Cheers,

Nikmehta Feb 21, 2007 1:52 am

One of my sectors on a EK/UA RTW in buisness is the following:

1 EK 928 C 10JUL CAIDXB HK2 1255-2 1730-2 J-C<
2 EK 424 C 11JUL DXBPER HK2 1005-3 0055-4 J-C<

Would I be eligable for a free night's accommodation in Dubai? Who do I contact about this?

DYKWIA Feb 21, 2007 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Nikmehta (Post 7264600)
One of my sectors on a EK/UA RTW in buisness is the following:

1 EK 928 C 10JUL CAIDXB HK2 1255-2 1730-2 J-C<
2 EK 424 C 11JUL DXBPER HK2 1005-3 0055-4 J-C<

Would I be eligable for a free night's accommodation in Dubai? Who do I contact about this?

Send an e-mail to Emirates in Cairo (you can do this from the Emirates website) with your PNR, requesting they book you a STPC (Stopover paid by Carrier). They replied to me within 24 hours saying that my hotel and transfers had been booked.

I then had to go to the Emirates office in Cairo to pick up the vouchers. It took about 15 minutes in total :)

Cheers,
Rick