Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK/UA RTW S ex-BKK First Class - ROUTING ASSISTANCE REQUESTED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK/UA RTW S ex-BKK First Class - ROUTING ASSISTANCE REQUESTED

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Thumbs up EK/UA RTW S ex-BKK First Class - ROUTING ASSISTANCE REQUESTED

I am hoping someone will be able to offer a bit of routing assistance with an upcoming trip I am trying to book using EK/UA RTW SOUTH ex-BANGKOK in First Class. I have been in touch with both Emirates and United, who seem to be following slightly different rules, and are confusing my travel agent in Bangkok! Since so many of you have travelled on these tickets and are familiar with the rules, can you advise on the following itinerary, please?

BKK-DXB-DOH (stopover)
DOH-DXB-COK (stopover)
COK-DXB (stopover)
DXB-LON (stopover)
LON-IAD-SAV (stopover)
SAV-ORD-SAT (stopover)
SAT-DEN (stopover)
DEN-LAX-HNL (stopover)
HNL-LAX (paid backtrack)
LAX-MEL (stopover)
MEL-AKL (stopover)
AKL-SIN (stopover)
SIN-HKG (stopover)
HKG-BKK (end)

Points of concern:
I have copies of rules provided by my travel agent in BKK. However, I am not sure they are the most up-to-date.

1. Emirates have questioned my HNL ticket, as they are saying this is not North America. IATA seems to think it is. And the rules do not have a side trip to Hawaii on offer (like they do to ANC, MEX, etc.). They do mention being able to buy addition segments for $100 for travel within Hawaii (OGG, etc.);
2. I spoke with United, who are following the EK line, but they refused point blank to give me the rules - which raises more points in my mind (are they hiding something?);
3. Emirates have also questioned two transits plus my stopover in DXB. The rules say you can transit DXB twice going to/from a variety of Indian/Mid East destinations. They also say you may stop in each city only once. To me, that means two transits and one stopover. Emirates aren't so sure (even though in similar forums people seem to have this type of stopover/routing confirmed, ticketed and travelled). They did say that if DXB didn't approve it, they would be happy to sell me an Arabian Airpass for $170 per sector for DXB-DOH-DXB sectors.
4. Emirates also don't think I can do SIN-HKG-BKK as this is going up/down a line. However, the rules don't state that the line direction must be maintained between these cities.
5. United was not sure I could take Emirates between MEL and AKL, but Emirates have said it is no problem.

I would be most grateful for your thoughts and assistance on the above!
In all of my travel, I have never seen one airline confer with another airline and their rules prior to having a ticket issued. It is really driving my travel agent crazy!

Looking forward to your replies, and many thanks in advance!

AndyFlyer
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer

Points of concern:
I have copies of rules provided by my travel agent in BKK. However, I am not sure they are the most up-to-date.
I think this will be your biggest problem, as it might cause conflict between what the TA allows and what the airline allows to be ticketed.

1. Emirates have questioned my HNL ticket, as they are saying this is not North America. IATA seems to think it is. And the rules do not have a side trip to Hawaii on offer (like they do to ANC, MEX, etc.). They do mention being able to buy addition segments for $100 for travel within Hawaii (OGG, etc.);
I am looking at the 10th May 2006 Green Travel rules, which imply that Anchorage is not in North America, so you may have a hard time proving that Hawaii is

BACKTRACKING IS WAIVED AND TWO TRANSITS MAY
OCCUR IN THE U.S. FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN THE POINTS
IN THE USA
AND POINTS IN SAN JUAN ANCHORAGE
GUATEMALA EL SALVADOR COSTA RICA VENEZUELA
BRAZIL ARGENTINA CHILE AND URUGUAY.
2. I spoke with United, who are following the EK line, but they refused point blank to give me the rules - which raises more points in my mind (are they hiding something?);
Did they give a reason? Maybe they are out of date?

3. Emirates have also questioned two transits plus my stopover in DXB. The rules say you can transit DXB twice going to/from a variety of Indian/Mid East destinations. They also say you may stop in each city only once. To me, that means two transits and one stopover. Emirates aren't so sure (even though in similar forums people seem to have this type of stopover/routing confirmed, ticketed and travelled). They did say that if DXB didn't approve it, they would be happy to sell me an Arabian Airpass for $170 per sector for DXB-DOH-DXB sectors.
I am not sure if anyone has ticketed 2 transits + 1 stopover in Dubai with the new rules (I haven't.) but the rules still seem to be quite black and white:

STOPOVERS ARE LIMITED TO ONE PER
CITY.
&
-BACKTRACKING IS WAIVED AND TWO TRANSITS MAY
OCCUR IN DXB WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA EK TO/FROM
DMM/RUH/JED/MCT/DOH/KWI/AMM/BOM/DEL/MAA
COK/HYD/KHI/LHE/PEW/ISB/DAC/MLE/CMB/CAI/MRU/KRT
as we all know, a transit is different from a stopover. Simple, right?

4. Emirates also don't think I can do SIN-HKG-BKK as this is going up/down a line. However, the rules don't state that the line direction must be maintained between these cities.
This was something from the old rules. Hopefully EK/UA will accept this if they follow the new rules.

Give your agent my sympathies!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.