Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Aircraft Downgrade Flight 102 (MXP>DXB)

I had booked a trip in First using JAL Rewards in First class. The leg from MXP to DXB was to be in a 3 class 777-300. In checking my reservation, the aircraft was downgraded to a 2-Class 773 and my seat is now business class.

Dealing with JAL to update to a different flight has been a pain. Any thoughts on a different way to remedy? Am I owed any compensation (be it by EK or JAL) should they be unable to accommodate?

Sorry if this has been asked before--a search yielded no results. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
I had booked a trip in First using JAL Rewards in First class. The leg from MXP to DXB was to be in a 3 class 777-300. In checking my reservation, the aircraft was downgraded to a 2-Class 773 and my seat is now business class.

Dealing with JAL to update to a different flight has been a pain. Any thoughts on a different way to remedy? Am I owed any compensation (be it by EK or JAL) should they be unable to accommodate?

Sorry if this has been asked before--a search yielded no results. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I'm afraid only JAL can help you as the flight will be on JL stock.

An F ticket entitles you to a seat in the highest cabin of service - JL will claim no compensation is payable.

As reward tickets are usually fully flexible if the cabin is more important than the timetable, would recommend changing the date, but there may be partner award availability.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I'm afraid only JAL can help you as the flight will be on JL stock.

An F ticket entitles you to a seat in the highest cabin of service - JL will claim no compensation is payable.

As reward tickets are usually fully flexible if the cabin is more important than the timetable, would recommend changing the date, but there may be partner award availability.

Thanks for the reply. I did go back to JAL once more and changing the date did the trick.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Thanks for the reply. I did go back to JAL once more and changing the date did the trick.
fingers crossed the aircraft is not changed again.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
I suggest you switch to EK205 or EK91 for peace of mind. This is my regular route and EK101 is the only one that gets swapped out for the 2 class. Others are highly unlikely to be swapped out as both are A380 with EK205 even less likely as it continues on to JFK.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Bumping this thread again as I have a very similar situation and had a few q's for the experts (I seldom fly EK, so not sure how this should work and what I should expect/not expect)

The basics: Have a multi-leg trip upcoming all booked and ticketed in F using JAL miles (JFK>DXB>SEZ>DXB>ATH>EWR, with stops in DXB, SEZ, and ATH. A few weeks ago I got a downgrade email on the DXB>ATH leg (equip change from 3 cabin to 2 cabin 777). I have spoken to both EK and JAL and because there is currently not F upgrade space on the earlier flight from DXB>ATH (which actually would be preferable timing, as we arrive early on a redeye from SEZ), they cannot change our flights. They also noted that they could easily change it if space opens up between now and the flight. Nothing abnormal there, have EF alerts set, 4 F seats are still avail on the earlier flight to ATH.

My two main questions:

1) If upgrade space does NOT open up, but F remains with open seats, can anyone on the ground make a day-of change to the 3-class/earlier flight, given we were involuntarily downgraded? Is there some sort of process for getting on a standby list once we are on the ground?

2) If the answer to question 1 is "no, they can't make such a day-of change given it was a partner award" (which is the vibe I am getting), can we still access the First Class lounge in DXB for our almost 11 hr layover? Would be kind of a bummer if that answer is also "no", given we were initially ticketed in F and were vaguely looking fwd to a nice layover in the First class lounge in DXB.

Understood that some of these requests may be at the discretion of the DXB ground team, but was hoping someone with a similar experience might have some real-world insight and advice on how to handle, if we can't make the change ahead of checking in.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:27 pm

Evening all. Apologies for raising this topic but I’ve been fortunate up til now. I’ve been downgraded due to an equipment swap from F to J from DXB into the UK. Am I right in thinking the EU compensation laws don’t apply here? And also, am I entitled to a proportionate refund and what is the best way to go about it? Any experiences and advice will be welcomed;
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Beecharmer
Evening all. Apologies for raising this topic but I’ve been fortunate up til now. I’ve been downgraded due to an equipment swap from F to J from DXB into the UK. Am I right in thinking the EU compensation laws don’t apply here? And also, am I entitled to a proportionate refund and what is the best way to go about it? Any experiences and advice will be welcomed;
Yes, No EC261. It'll be a battle. How did you pay? You should of course get a refund but your calculation will likely differ from EKs
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes, No EC261. It'll be a battle. How did you pay? You should of course get a refund but your calculation will likely differ from EKs
Thanks for the clarification, I feared as much. Did pay with the MBNA Emirates AMEX but am thinking they will use flight prices now for J rather than when I booked months ago. Didn’t screen-shot those of course
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Thanks for the clarification, I feared as much. Did pay with the MBNA Emirates AMEX but am thinking they will use flight prices now for J rather than when I booked months ago. Didn’t screen-shot those of course
One option may be to change your flight. What is the route? If it's MAN, then there are normally 2 flights a day with F, plus one 2 class. So, you may be able to shift your flight.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
One option may be to change your flight. What is the route? If it's MAN, then there are normally 2 flights a day with F, plus one 2 class. So, you may be able to shift your flight.
you can 100% move you flight if it works for you...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:31 am

Thanks both, jip it's one of the MAN flights swapped to a 2 class. Have never found the call centre too helpful so figured it was easier to swap to the later flight rather than fight for a partial refund. Emirates works well most of the time but not when the matter is irrops! But then, their flight frequencies can't be beaten when that's the case.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:35 am

Thanks both, jip it's one of the MAN flights swapped to a 2 class. Have never found the call centre too helpful so figured it was easier to swap to the later flight rather than fight for a partial refund. Emirates works well most of the time but not when the matter is irrops! But then, their flight frequencies can't be beaten when that's the case.
Aircraft swap ahead of time isn't IRROPS
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:59 am

You will be disappointed with what refund you get! Defo swap
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
edited

Last edited by Lavezzi; Dec 20, 2017 at 6:09 pm Reason: wrong forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.