Wiki Posts
Search

MAN-AKL comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
MAN-AKL comments

Hi, did the MAN-AKL (via DXB and MEL) trip on Sun/Mon/Tues. Comments as follows:

Chauffeur pick up in UK in a nice new Volvo estate, very clean and comfortable, quick journey to MAN

MAN-DXB, J, A330
Loads of legroom, good service but seats - although offering decent recline - are woefully narrow for business class and with minimal barrier between you and the person in the next seat. IFE system fairly archaic.

Dubai Airport.
Plane parked at far side of airport in cargo area (apparently due to an oil spill at our intended gate). Bus ride (once buses had turned up) quick and very easy to get back into terminal. Emirates first class lounge v nice. Fairly busy (emptied by about 08:30). Got a shower fairly easily but no chance of a bedroom for a couple of hours - as far as I could see, there only seemed to be half a dozen of these.

DXB-MEL, F. A340-500
Very nice, suites are a great concept if a little gimmicky. Food good, service OK, managed to get c5hrs sleep (was a bumpy flight). Suites seem to be getting very tired looking very quickly given that they are so new. ICE system fantastic although inability to have movies without subtitles (in my case, Japanese on 'Walk the Line') was annoying. Service good but you have to ask for things - crew could be much more proactive in servicing passengers.

Melbourne airport
Emirates passengers use the Cathay Pacific lounge, which is not much to write home about. Minimal food, no showers.

MEL-AKL. F. A340-500
Was the only person in F on the whole plane!!! Only cost me 12,500 miles (which were due to expire soon anyway) to upgrade from J to F on this leg. Lovely breakfast and then slept the rest of the way - for me, the increased "sleepability" factor is the main selling point of F, not the fancy meals/wines. Worth upgrading using miles if you are flying this c3hr leg and want to experience the F suites.

AKL. My bags appeared on the carousel no 1 & 3 so dead chuffed as others have reported that F bags come out slowly! Merc S-class (albeit old) but chauffeur service very efficient.

Overall, good flights but felt they lacked the 'wow' factor and didn't feel like I was travelling F.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hi,

I did the DXB-SYD-CHC and AKL-MEL-DXB flights in F recently.

The service was just what I wanted. For the first few hours, they topped up my wine glass any time it was half empty. Once most people were going to sleep, they told me to press the call button if I needed anything. Perfect.

Only problem was the glass of wine that was knocked over me by one the the FA's

I must have been on a newer plane both ways, as the suites didn't seem worn in any way. The ICE is fantastic - especially as it's turned on from the moment you sit down.

I agree about the lounge in MEL. It's very poor. Hopefully EK will build their own sometime soon. Could do with their own lounge in MAN also, especially as they're going to 2 77W flights a day soon.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I get to fly DXB - SYD / MEL 3 times a year in the F class suites. I have noticed that service varies. With meals, restaurant style menus are handed out, and passengers are invited to order at their own leisure. On some flights this is the case, and on others they come around and informally preasure you to order (so they can rest). When they come around to take orders, I have noticed that their drinks service does become very slow.

Also on 2 flights this year, my door was not wroking, so it could not close, and another time, both myself and my girlfriend were bumped off a flight as we were told that only 6 of the suites were functioning.

Nevertheless Emirates does offer one of the best F class service on the 340-500

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.