Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Recent Lack of Variety in Emirates' J and F Menus

Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I've flown on around 16 J & F flights over the last 18 months and a trend I've noticed is that the variety of dishes has changed drastically the last 12 months, in particular near enough every single flight had a variation of Beef fillet/tenderloin. I flew from BKK to MAN earlier in the year and both legs served beef fillet, I have just looked at my return journey and it's the exact same situation. Am I just imagining this or is the menu going down hill?

At least in F there's larger range to choose from but in J it's the other option is often either fish which I don't like or an unappealing vegetarian meal. I seem to remember a much better menu with more interesting and diverse cuisine than beef steak.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:20 pm

Recent? I don't think there's been variety in EK meals for years!

Beef slabs seems to be a staple of global F and J offerings, not just on EK - I think that just indicates that this pax segment really want it.

For amusement value, I once ordered most of the SPMLs over the course of a year but really, after 3,4 flights it's not intolerable to know that the food will be perfectly fine and the wines usually very good. Happy that EK F lounges at DXB have good kitchens which is the preferred place to eat.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:27 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Food is probably the weakest part of EK F. I try to eat in the lounge or just very light onboard.

Edited to add: This thread made me think about the meals Ive had on EK in the past, and I really remember the food being better 10+ years ago.
Does anyone else remember when they offered different types of baked potatoes as light meal options in F?
DanManc likes this.

Last edited by S.R; Apr 1, 2024 at 8:21 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Im new to EK from Air NZ, SQ and Qantas for most of my long haul travel.
I appreciate that EK might have declined over 10 years, but EK F based on two dozen plus sectors over the last 18 months have left NZ J and QF J and F for dead. Even SQ F is much the same as EK in my view. I would climb over broken glass for the SQ satay and I really would like to see bacon on EK (I know, I know, not going to happen :-)) but I am broadly very happy with EK food.
The latest EK 449 / 1 and EK 448 / 4 menu cycle has beef on 2 and lamb on two. This months change is to 3 beef and one lamb but also plenty of other options and have started having some of the vegan food which I have found amazing for a confirmed carnivore. I always easily find two meals and a snack I enjoy on these flights, the service is good and non-intrusive. The lounge food is very good, but Im always there for breakfast only (which is nice, but not that special) and I havent sampled the all day menu.
YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:13 am

You can get bacon if you're iO...

Given the pax profile in premium cabins skewing towards leisure, I'm surprised EK haven't just gone full global-rich canteen food offering and just do burgers, black cod, and club sandwiches...(yawn)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by S.R
Food is probably the weakest part of EK F. I try to eat in the lounge or just very light onboard.

Edited to add: This thread made me think about the meals Ive had on EK in the past, and I really remember the food being better 10+ years ago.
Does anyone else remember when they offered different types of baked potatoes as light meal options in F?
A quick glance at stored menus from back then still reveals chicken/prawn/lamb machbous, tenderloins and caviar! I think you're right that the other light dishes and accoutrements are where EK has trimmed service though.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Baked potatoes are not my thing but I do remember the times when they would have a trolley moving through the aisles with all the F menu options laid out and you could pick whatever caught your fancy. There was no 'Sir, what would you like to have?' Forever gone now :-(
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Recent? I don't think there's been variety in EK meals for years!

Beef slabs seems to be a staple of global F and J offerings, not just on EK - I think that just indicates that this pax segment really want it.

For amusement value, I once ordered most of the SPMLs over the course of a year but really, after 3,4 flights it's not intolerable to know that the food will be perfectly fine and the wines usually very good. Happy that EK F lounges at DXB have good kitchens which is the preferred place to eat.
Ha maybe the 2 year travel apocalypse may have led to hazy memory, I just feel like it was more than just "beef steak, potato and a carrots/peas/asparagus" the first few months after everything opened up I felt there was more variety with the red meat options.

I had much better options in Qatar Q suites when I flew them a few times last year, no beef steak in sight.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by S.R

Edited to add: This thread made me think about the meals I’ve had on EK in the past, and I really remember the food being better 10+ years ago.
Yes! Emirates 10-15 years ago was literally a dream. I don't know if anyone remembers this as well, but like 15-20 years ago, I distinctly remember them giving out pre-departure packaged lemon juices in those small yellow boxes and an option of hot/cold towels in Economy class!!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by qraec777
Yes! Emirates 10-15 years ago was literally a dream. I don't know if anyone remembers this as well, but like 15-20 years ago, I distinctly remember them giving out pre-departure packaged lemon juices in those small yellow boxes and an option of hot/cold towels in Economy class!!
It was available on India routes till pre Covid. Not sure about the latest status but shall check when flying next.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
On a recent flight out of JNB - the FA told me there was no Hennessy Paradis on board the plane ...... First world problems, of course ......
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by DanManc
I had much better options in Qatar Q suites when I flew them a few times last year, no beef steak in sight.
You missed out

Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
just checked the menus on my upcoming flights LHR-KIX in F, with the exception of the caviar and 1 halibut dish. Menu is identical to J
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Vegetarian/Vegan Meals

While I will eat almost everything, I definitely prefer a menu that offers more vegetarian/vegan options than one that mostly features red meat. I came across this recent article, which I found pleasantly surprising: https://businesstravelerusa.com/news...vegan-options/

I do also think that there's a noticeable shift in certain regions of the world, particularly in terms of my generation (and younger), who are consuming less meat for health reasons, among others. If you look at Germany, which is known for its meats, meat consumption has been trending downward.

I've got two long-haul F flights coming up, and I'm actually excited to try these vegan options--along with caviar, cod, lamb, and prawns (YUM!).
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:31 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
In this article from Food & Wine, EK was rated better than SQ & QR.
https://www.foodandwine.com/global-t...k-2024-8607940

When was the last time chocolate truffle cake was a dessert option?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.