Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Business class -- Emirates vs Qatar?

Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Have flown the Q suite but it looks like what we want ( the 2 center honeymoon seats) are pretty much the same layout on Emirates. I assume we wiill get the same excellent service on Emirates . That bar may be the deal maker.

So- Qatar vs Emirates?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:43 am

Flew 777 QSuite from ICN to DOH to YUL, and EK A380 YYZ to DXB (windows seats though, so not honeymoon)

I found Qatar's service to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. I've seen that EK service really can be hit or miss, and this was definitely the case for my flight, some points of differentiation:
  • There is just so many more J seats on the A380, I felt like the service was a lot less attentive as a result (there was always someone I could flag down on Qatar, not the case for EK)
    • The cabin is also a lot louder I found as a result (perhaps the mini cabin in the back is better for this)
  • Qatar collected all of my meal orders/preferences from the get go, whereas I almost missed breakfast on EK given I woke up a few minutes after the FA collected orders for my row
  • The bar was cool, but I'd rather have the better service and privacy in Qsuites any day of the week.
    • That being said, I travelled solo - I can imagine how the bar would be more fun for a couple
TLDR: Qatar's cabin crew service was far better and consistent for me - but that's also likely because there's fewer J passengers, where as I've seen anecdotally that EK can be very hit or miss
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I have flown both Qatar and Emirates business with my husband a number of times. The Q-Suites is much more private as they have doors that close, and the divider between seats goes all the way down so it is almost like a double bed if both seats are fully reclined at the same time.
We both enjoy the bar on Emirates, but if it's a flight when we are trying to maximize sleep we usually don't go back there at all. As mentioned in the previous reply, the mini cabin at the back of the A-380 is not as loud as the larger cabin, but still does not feel as peaceful and relaxing as the Q-Suites.
We have had both good and bad service on both airlines, and the last 4 flights I had on Qatar each had service varying from excellent to indifferent/bad. My last few Emirates flights were in first, so don't have recent comparison with their business class service.
I think the food is better on Qatar, but the wine and champagne is better on Emirates if that is important to you.

Overall given the choice I would likely fly Qatar for the overall experience in business if the prices/travel time were similar- if I knew I would get a Q-Suite (which if you read their forum is sometime subject to luck, even if they advertise a route as a Q-Suite route).
DavePC and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:42 pm

Qatar!
Old Jul 12, 2023, 3:36 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
also note that recently Qatar is usually MUCH cheaper!
So it is easy choice: cheaper and better product is Qatar.

In the past, before COVID, it was not this way, Emirates was much cheaper in J then Qatar (in some cases one could have Emirates F for the price of Qatar J... )
Because I just need flad bet I was flying J in Emirates.
But now I'm using Emirates only to fly Economy. For business it is CHEAPER to fly Qatar and you also get better product.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:56 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Krz

In the past, before COVID, it was not this way, Emirates was much cheaper in J then Qatar (in some cases one could have Emirates F for the price of Qatar J... )
Because I just need flad bet I was flying J in Emirates.
But now I'm using Emirates only to fly Economy. For business it is CHEAPER to fly Qatar and you also get better product.
That depends entirely on your routing. I have not seem QR to be consistently cheaper than EK ( or v.v.)
pushka likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by thijsseh
That depends entirely on your routing. I have not seem QR to be consistently cheaper than EK ( or v.v.)
Indeed... UK-DXB could be had for around 1300 at times on QR. Much cheaper than EK. ex-EU flights were sometimes < 1k.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Originally Posted by Krz

For business it is CHEAPER to fly Qatar and you also get better product.
This is certainly not the case on the routes that I fly - Qatar is consistently more expensive than Emirates and although their J product is good, it is not worth that much extra and there is also the fact that Qatar customer service at outstations is sadly lacking IME,
pushka likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 7:53 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
on "my" routes from WAW this is always.
Also to note: Emirates Special is not including lounge access, so to have similar offer, I would have to buy Emirates Saver.
In Qatar cheapest J fare is always with lounge access.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Originally Posted by kmd0506
I think the food is better on Qatar, but the wine and champagne is better on Emirates if that is important to you.

Not if they're serving the >200 bottle of LP Alexandra Rose in QSuites as they have done on most of my recent flights...
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Krz
In Qatar cheapest J fare is always with lounge access.
That's not correct - Business Lite fares on QR do not include lounge access. And both Lite and Classic don't include seat selection until check-in :-

Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:21 pm

Qsuites is nicer than Emirates A380 Business BUT and this is a big but, they often switch booked Qsuites to an older Qatar plane without Qsuites. We had 4 Qsuites booked on a flight to Africa and 2 of the 4 were switched on us. I will not fly Qatar Airlines again for this reason alone. This has never happened to us at Emirates.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Qatar all the way. The seats are better, the food is better (even from Emirates First), the wine is better, the service is better, the lounge is beautiful.

Had a booking in First to Australia and New Zealand via Emirates and cancelled and opted for the Q suites with Qatar. We loved it.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I've flown QR J on the A350, EK J on the 777 and EK J on the A380. I haven't flown EK since before the pandemic so I don't know what their current fleet mix is. But if you get a 777 with the old J seats, they're definitely not as good as QR J or EK A380 J
Old Jul 25, 2023, 2:42 am

From Scotland to Australia - have already booked with Emirates, did the same dates with Qatar out of interest. Qatar about 20% dearer in J and no chaffeur drive (we live 70 miles from GLA and EDI). No brainer for our route - Emirates.
JudeS and pushka like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.