Liquids when in transit (Dubai)

Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Liquids when in transit (Dubai)

Flying F LHR-DXB-SYD next week with a short transit in DXB. I’d like to take the amenity kit from the LHR-DXB segment through to SYD but is there likely to be an issue with the liquids rule? I have done this flight before (last time was 4 years ago though) and I can’t remember what the transit procedure is.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
I just passed through Dubai security a few days ago, it should be fine to take the amenity kit through. There's a limit on 100ml for liquids which should not be a problem with any of the items in the amenity kit.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:33 am

Yes - it should be fine. I’ve done it plenty of times before. It’s always been a bit lax imo and they sometimes don’t even ask you to take out your liquids.
eminere likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
It’s been a few years since I’ve flown Aus but I’m pretty sure they had additional screening at the gate and took a bottle of water off me from the lounge.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:50 am

You’re right - I forgot about the Oz extra security (it too has been a while since I went down there!).

They can be extra scrupulous before boarding, but the amenity kit should still be fine since the liquids are less than 100ml. An Evian bottle from the lounge may get withheld though.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies - sounds like there’s no need for me to be concerned!
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:28 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer1
Thanks everyone for the replies - sounds like there’s no need for me to be concerned!
I do this all the time (although never to Oz), for 'transit security' it's definitely not a problem. Came through 10 days ago and I don't think I even needed to take electronics out of my bag, I think some of their scanners are this new type which can see 3D (like they have in AMS now). Can't remember 100% sure as I was in F and the lady who accompanied me on the buggy and through security did everything so fast that it all sort of passed me by. But I definitely had an F kit in my bag and did not have to take it out.
sydneyflyer1 and eminere like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:13 am

Never had an issue with liquids transiting through DXB, to the point that I don’t even bother putting my own toiletries back in the plastic bag. I regularly have all sorts of liquids scattered through my hand baggage. They never ask to take them out and don’t seem concerned about liquids.
sydneyflyer1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:59 am

DXB is fairly lax - at most it's shoes off and laptop out.
sydneyflyer1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Yesterday I passed by security with 500ml bottle of water. No issues at all
sydneyflyer1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer1
Flying F LHR-DXB-SYD next week with a short transit in DXB. I’d like to take the amenity kit from the LHR-DXB segment through to SYD but is there likely to be an issue with the liquids rule? I have done this flight before (last time was 4 years ago though) and I can’t remember what the transit procedure is.
I regularly transit DXB when returning to Australia. Mostly, I board in DXB with more than one amenity kit in my carry-on bags. I collect them along with the F pyjamas to distribute to Africans I visit regularly. I keep them from my inbound journeys and take them in my checked-in luggage on my outbound journeys.

I have been doing this for almost 20 years and not once has it ever been a problem in DXB, including when I boarded EK408 for MEL last September with 7 amenity kits and 2 sets of pyjamas jammed into two grey F bags!

So I feel that chances are you will not have any problem boarding for SYD in DXB with one amenity kit in your carry-on.
sydneyflyer1 likes this.

Last edited by BadoRas; Jan 22, 2023 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Dubai won't be a problem with the amenity kit ......

Even duty free alcohol won't be an issue as long as it's sealed ......
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by safari_7
Even duty free alcohol won't be an issue as long as it's sealed ......
Even to Australia? There was a recent report of somebody having to give up their booze at the gate on an Oz trip. Although, that may have been BA at SIN.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Leaving DXB for MEL, SYD or BNE with EK I have always had to hand in duty free alcohol in a sealed box and collect on arrival in Australia at baggage reclaim.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:24 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by JudeS
Leaving DXB for MEL, SYD or BNE with EK I have always had to hand in duty free alcohol in a sealed box and collect on arrival in Australia at baggage reclaim.
Maybe that's because they are worried Aussies will get blotto on board....
BadoRas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.