Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

My first EK experience - really surprised why anyone likes this airline

Old Jan 17, 2023, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

Flew ORD-DXB yesterday (arriving today) and really felt it was a bad experience. First World Problem bad experience - but nonetheless. Started at check-in. Nice enough older gentleman but hopelessly incompetent. He needed to ask a supervisor for everything. But he was nice and maybe he is new and still learning - he did have the good taste to apologize for the "lounge" in advance - gotta give him credit for that.
Booked 10F in the hopes that the middle would stay empty - it did. Had it not, it would have been super cramped. The interior of the cabin looks expensive. Wood, leather - but is rather non-functional. I mean you see virtually everyone's screen - nice screens - but awfully distracting. The FA was either hating her job and/or mentally challenged. Seat didn't recline - told her twice - nothing happened. Had to ask purser - who eventually rebooted the thing. Asked for ear plugs - twice - eventually asked purser. Asked not to be woken for breakfast. Was woken for breakfast. Told her I had asked not to be woken and I am not eating. "Here is your food" and just handed me the tray... It's nice to have a fridge in the chair I suppose - but unless you want a Pepsi - why bother? The little star ceiling is kinda cute, but squeezing myself into a fairly tight (and yes, good looking) seat makes EK an experience not to be repeated. I am on the next flight now - crew seems nicer - but I am really happy to be flying back on QR - a lot less shiny - but a lot more functional.
This might sound like a sacrilege to some - but I would rather do that flight on AA than EK (I know AA isn't flying that route - just for comparison) - I was really interested in the EK experience, and I am glad to have it out of the system now - but overall I am rather disappointed. Staff at the lounge wasn't exactly friendly either - felt more like grouchy Lufthansa staff.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
The 77W on EK is not a great product - the A380 is much better, and with the business class bar at the back, way more fun. I try to avoid the 77W for night flights if I can avoid it (I fly EK on AC award tickets).
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I am sorry that you had a bad experience on EK.

Personally I go out of my way to fly them, but each to his own.

1- Check in personnel aren't EK employees rather the airport management, there is always an EK agent around to guide and help out. (at least at JFK and other international airports I flew from).
2- I avoid the 777, but love their new F class.

Try flying the 380s. You will love it.
NorthCircle and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 7:00 am

EKs business class on the B777 is garbage.
It is a bit better on the A380, but far from lovable.
These days there are so many other airlines providing a better experience than EK.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I find EK cabin crews will go out of their way to exceed.

For example, consider my request for Diet Coke.

Despite Pepsi being the on-board choice
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I agree with the above. The A380 is the way to go. Especially on ultra long haul flights.

I have a flight next month to Colorado and the best route was via Chicago. I went out of my way to ensure that my flight would be to Houston just for the A380.
JTPictureman likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:37 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
I was flying EK in Business in B777 few times (years ago actually, most recently in 2015) and in my opinion it was excellent service. I like seats in B777, also never had problem with them (and in A380 it was not working once).
I can't comment on other airlines because I never used any other business class product
Currently prices are crazy for me and I fly in economy only. Which I also find good quality and will not change it to other airline on longer routes. For flights up to 10hrs (preferably daytime) economy class in still good enough.
So I just add hotel stay in Dubai (there is always something to see in Dubai), instead of paying much more for business...
(I also noticed that other airlines have cheaper business class product but never decided to check them, still Emirates economy and hotel in Dubai is cheaper

Maybe in 2015 and before I was just lucky to have always great cabin crew in J.
smith80678 and aceboy44 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:13 am

Agree with above as my spouse flew same route and she felt that service in flight was not that good. the connecting flight from DXB to BOM had better FA though.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Flew ORD-DXB yesterday (arriving today) and really felt it was a bad experience. First World Problem bad experience - but nonetheless. Started at check-in. Nice enough older gentleman but hopelessly incompetent. He needed to ask a supervisor for everything. But he was nice and maybe he is new and still learning - he did have the good taste to apologize for the "lounge" in advance - gotta give him credit for that.
Booked 10F in the hopes that the middle would stay empty - it did. Had it not, it would have been super cramped. The interior of the cabin looks expensive. Wood, leather - but is rather non-functional. I mean you see virtually everyone's screen - nice screens - but awfully distracting. The FA was either hating her job and/or mentally challenged. Seat didn't recline - told her twice - nothing happened. Had to ask purser - who eventually rebooted the thing. Asked for ear plugs - twice - eventually asked purser. Asked not to be woken for breakfast. Was woken for breakfast. Told her I had asked not to be woken and I am not eating. "Here is your food" and just handed me the tray... It's nice to have a fridge in the chair I suppose - but unless you want a Pepsi - why bother? The little star ceiling is kinda cute, but squeezing myself into a fairly tight (and yes, good looking) seat makes EK an experience not to be repeated. I am on the next flight now - crew seems nicer - but I am really happy to be flying back on QR - a lot less shiny - but a lot more functional.
This might sound like a sacrilege to some - but I would rather do that flight on AA than EK (I know AA isn't flying that route - just for comparison) - I was really interested in the EK experience, and I am glad to have it out of the system now - but overall I am rather disappointed. Staff at the lounge wasn't exactly friendly either - felt more like grouchy Lufthansa staff.
AA over EK??? Go for it!! all yours ......
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by safari_7
AA over EK??? Go for it!! all yours ......
I largely do and wasn't kidding. Now I had a sample size of two on EK. ORD-DXB and DXB-SIN - The first flight had a crew that by any standard was worse than the middle aged non-caring AA FAs - while they might not care, when "summoned" they at least do something towards addressing the problem. They might not be terribly.polite and enthusiastic - but at minimum they would try to reboot a seat, not give me breakfast I didn't want etc. EK's flight has amazing IFE and pretty looking but non functional interior. The AA seat is a lot more functional. Never mind not having some silly middle seat. and they are properly flat. Food on AA has been surprisingly good lately. The DXB lounge staff was a mixed bag - from incompetent (not knowing where the showers are but still sending you somewhere to rude - to nice and helpful. Obviously the actual lounge in DXB is much nicer than any AA lounge I have been to - including FFD. But the partner lounge in ORD is probably amongst the worst in the world. EK amenity kit was nice - but didn't contain air plugs and getting some was a pain too. I think AA has ear plugs in the PE kit - certainly in J or F.

The crew on the 2nd flight was a LOT better - so of course hard for me to tell which of the two flights is an anomaly - but in any case the seats are cramped, you see everyone's monitor - as nice as they are - which is very distracting. So yes, if given a choice - and for what matters to me - I'd rather do it on AA

I am not saying AA would be my first choice - the flight back was on JAL (instead of the planned QR - was actually my first JAL long haul - KUL-NRT-JFK) - which had very little to complain about. Would take that over AA immediately and if talking ME airlines - I really like QR (even had a good IRROPS experience which I hear is rare).
safari_7 likes this.

Last edited by flying_geek; Jan 27, 2023 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The crew on the 2nd flight was a LOT better - so of course hard for me to tell which of the two flights is an anomaly - but in any case the seats are cramped, you see everyone's monitor - as nice as they are - which is very distracting. So yes, if given a choice - and for what matters to me - I'd rather do it on AA
Were both flights B777? The A380 is generally a lot better.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Krz
Currently prices are crazy for me and I fly in economy only. Which I also find good quality and will not change it to other airline on longer routes. For flights up to 10hrs (preferably daytime) economy class in still good enough.
So I just add hotel stay in Dubai (there is always something to see in Dubai), instead of paying much more for business...
Agree with this.

Recently flew my usual route CAN - DXB - MAN in J. Pre-COVID these seats were 600 for Y or 2100 for J. Now they are 1300 for Y and 4300 for J. At those prices, I think I'd rather book an economy ticket and supplement it with either a Dubai hotel stay or simply extra legroom seats. Do this route a few times a year and status gets you DXB lounge access too.

It doesnt help that I think most of Emirates J, apart from the seat & lie-flat bed is largely superfluous for me. If you drink champagne, wine or spirits, you can have a great time; but for us millennials, their beer and non-alcoholic menu options are underwhelming. On these 7 hour flights, you generally get one meal service and I usually have a couple of bottles of water, a couple of Pepsi's and a naff mocktail. Can't justify the extra cost, but yet the MAN - DXB leg both ways was fairly full (DXB - CAN was empty both ways though).
daisymay2 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Were both flights B777? The A380 is generally a lot better.
yes. both where tripples.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
yes. both where tripples.
Its a shame your first experience of EK was on their worst product and you didnt get to experience the a380 in J. You would have thought you were on different airlines if you had.
JudeS likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will08
Its a shame your first experience of EK was on their worst product and you didnt get to experience the a380 in J. You would have thought you were on different airlines if you had.
Well, if the opportunity arises - I might try that. Unlikely to go (far) out of my way to try it. But if there is a reasonable chance - will try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.